SIG Talk banner

NATO adopts the 5.7mm

1101 33
The FN-designed 5.7x28mm caliber has joined the ranks of 5.56 and 7.62 by recently being standardized by NATO.

Looks like more firearm manufacturers will be producing 5.7mm?
I wonder will the price of ammo come down?

Product Material property Liquid Font Cosmetics

Liquid Writing implement Office supplies Material property Cosmetics

From left to right: 9×19mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, 5.7×28mm, 5.56×45mm NATO, .300 Winchester Magnum, with 2.75-inch (70 mm) and 3-inch (76 mm) 12 gauge shotgun shells

Office supplies Writing implement Ammunition Cone Plant

Left to right, .22 WMR, 5.7 NATO, 5.56 NATO (Photo: Chris Eger/Guns.com)

9mm Fiocchi 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket
Average muzzle velocity: 1132 fps
Average muzzle energy: 327 fps

9mm Sig Sauer 124 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point
Average muzzle velocity: 1151 fps
Average muzzle energy: 365 ft/lbs

5.7mm FN 30 Grain SS195LF Jacketed Hollow Point
Average muzzle velocity: 2162 fps
Average muzzle energy: 311 ft/lbs

5.7mm American Eagle 40 Grain Full Metal Jacket
Average muzzle velocity: 1653 fps
Average muzzle energy: 243 ft/lbs

Wood Ammunition Bullet Font Liquid

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
There are rifle rounds available to the public that will penetrate Type III armor.
There are also various handgun rounds out there that will zip through III no problem.

On a separate note, 5.7mm sucks, and here's my logic for that. It's a submachine round. In something like a P90, it's a wonder. More controllable than a 9mm sub and more penetration. That is what the round is made for. However, us plebs currently can't have actually sub guns, which means, it ends up sucking. In a pistol, it's comparable to most other rounds. In a larger platform (without select fire) there are other, better options. A light AR pistol will have far more punch than a P90. And without full auto-and controllability thrown into the mix, it's a cheaper better option.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 5.7 is a fabulous round, but really only in a full-auto subgun, like it's designed for. Anything else and there are better options.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Interesting Post!

Regarding AP ammo (specifically designed to penetrate body armor or steel)

I believe in the U.S. federal law prohibits the production/etc. of any armor piercing round that can be fired from a handgun....making it difficult to find most AP rounds. There are certain rounds where there is no popular handgun that fires them though. 30-06 comes to mind. Obviously 5.7 ammo would get caught up in this rule as it is designed to be used in handguns.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have to admit, if I was going to go down the 5.7 road, the Keltec P50 with some type of stock or brace looks like fun. My DA mask is rated for 5.7 but at the speed those rounds running, there would still be a far amount of sonic crack

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I have to admit, if I was going to go down the 5.7 road, the Keltec P50 with some type of stock or brace looks like fun. My DA mask is rated for 5.7 but at the speed those rounds running, there would still be a far amount of sonic crack
How about this from Kel-Tec:
Think of how many uses for this Kel-Tec carbine?

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun Gun accessory

Hand Watch Guitar accessory Gesture Sleeve

From what I've read from the 2022 gun show:
Look for the rifle conversion kit later this year and plan to spend around $300 for it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If it penetrates body armor, it won't be available to the public.
I'm not sure I understand your statement. All 5.7? It's been around for a bit. Perhaps you're referring to a particular bullet type/load?

The first picture shows a date of March 2021; is this a new development?
The NATO adoption is.

The whole idea does make sense on some level. Same caliber for handguns and carbines.

Now, is 5.7x28 a handgun or rifle cartridge?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm not sure I understand your statement. All 5.7? It's been around for a bit. Perhaps you're referring to a particular bullet type/load?
The NATO adoption is.
The whole idea does make sense on some level. Same caliber for handguns and carbines.
Now, is 5.7x28 a handgun or rifle cartridge?
Read this to be enlightened:

·
Registered
45 Posts
There are also various handgun rounds out there that will zip through III no problem.

On a separate note, 5.7mm sucks, and here's my logic for that. It's a submachine round. In something like a P90, it's a wonder. More controllable than a 9mm sub and more penetration. That is what the round is made for. However, us plebs currently can't have actually sub guns, which means, it ends up sucking. In a pistol, it's comparable to most other rounds. In a larger platform (without select fire) there are other, better options. A light AR pistol will have far more punch than a P90. And without full auto-and controllability thrown into the mix, it's a cheaper better option.

Don't get me wrong, I think the 5.7 is a fabulous round, but really only in a full-auto subgun, like it's designed for. Anything else and there are better options.
EXACTLY, as perfectly described as can be possible.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a Ruger 57 a couple of years ago because I wanted something different. Yeah, it’s different, sometimes in a bad way. I got a box of ammo with the gun, went to the range and fired it. Couldn’t find more ammo anywhere for the longest time, and when it first became available it was $75 for 50 rounds. There were times when I was sorry that I wasted my money on that pistol. I paid full price. You can buy the same pistol for $200 less now, maybe even less. I don’t shoot it often because of the cost, but it is fun to shoot when I do. Prices are better now, and I’ve got a few rounds in the safe. I do keep it loaded because it would be pretty effective in a pinch.

·
Registered
313 Posts
On a separate note, 5.7mm sucks...

Don't get me wrong...
I get you alright: you think the 5.7 round sucks.

Here is one very good point in the 5.7's favor -- it's effective range is 100 yards or less and is perfect for urban and close quarters shooting. It's not designed to fly a mile. The USA Secret Service uses/used this round to defend the POTUS! They did it for a reason which includes testing, training, etc.
A second point is that it's an easy to shoot handgun. Easy for new shooters to handle and perfect their skills. It recoils a little more than a .22lr pistol but it is full sized and the Ruger 5.7 has controls that transfer to heavier, center fire pistols.
A third, and more personal, point is that the Ruger 57 is fun to shoot. This is one of two firearms that I own that are fun for me to shoot. Isn't shooting suppose to be fun?
A fourth point is that the 5.7 can be used in both carbines/rifles and pistols. One only needs 5.7 ammo and not 9mm for a pistol and 5.56 for a carbine/rifle (fill in your favorite calibers)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Lots of NATO & ISAF personnel I served with had 5.7 PDW's and ammo coming out of their ears, so this only makes sense now.

They always said that eventually the 5.7 would make it's way in to NATO, and there are numerous contracted protection/security groups that swear by it.

I'm holding off on jumping on this one for now. Ammo is not on shelves regularly down here in GA and the prices are just getting steeper it seems. I do like the new FN pistol however...

21 - 34 of 34 Posts