SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts, warnings, or reviews on ZQI ammo?

Walmart has a bunch, sort of expensive....claims it is made in Turkey and is a NATO round.

Is it too much pressure for my 9mm P229?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Great question! I've seen the stuff in my Wal-Mart and would also like to know more about it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Not familiar with the brand, but your modern handgun will handle it. Grab a box, shoot it, then inspect slide and frame for peening. Good idea to look at it before for comparison.

If your worried about it being too stout, throw in a new recoil spring. I personally wouldn't worry too much about off the shelf ammo being too hot for a modern handgun.
My biggest concern is really dirty ammo,

·
Registered
767 Posts
I just picked up a couple of boxes of their 9mm at Walmart. They also had ZQI in 7.62 and 5.56. And much to my surprise they had 100 rd boxes of 230 gr Federal .45 for $28.97, I paid $43 in Tn a couple of weeks ago for the identical stuff.

I'll be heading out today to try out my new P239 with the ZQ1 ammo, we'll see how it performs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
To much money at wal-mart 495.00 for 9mm 1300 rounds...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And this:

"+P Ammo manufactured to SAAMI/CIP/NATO specs is fine to use as a defensive round or for occasional range use. Continual use of this round will make it necessary for more frequent service on the pistol. We do NOT recommend the use of any +P+ round. This may void your warranty."

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not familiar with the brand, but your modern handgun will handle it. Grab a box, shoot it, then inspect slide and frame for peening. Good idea to look at it before for comparison.

If your worried about it being too stout, throw in a new recoil spring. I personally wouldn't worry too much about off the shelf ammo being too hot for a modern handgun.
My biggest concern is really dirty ammo,
What is "peening"?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I just got back from the range, I shot 100 rds of the ZQI with my new P239. No issues at all. The barrel and ramp don't look any dirtier than they would with good old American made ammo.

The 239 did OK, not one issue other than cramming 8 rds in the mag a couple of times caused the 1st rd not to feed so I loaded 7 from then on and had no issues. I need to take them apart and give 'em a good cleaning.

Honestly, I didn't shoot the 239 all that well. I had some good groups but was all over the place at other times. I don't shoot it near as well as I do my 229. I'll try again another day but right now I'll keep the 229 as my EDC.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
What is "peening"?
It's damage caused by metal striking metal. Looks like a ding in the metal.
It'll happen if you run a weak recoil spring or ammo that's too hot for the stock spring. You can get extra power springs from Wolff.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I saw it at Walmart, then came home and did some homework. It appears to be good quality ammo, but it is more expensive than WWB or American Eagle.
I did not find any negative opinions or information about it, other than it is more expensive for FMJ. I wouldn't be scared to use it, but as long as I can get Federal, American Eagle, or WWB cheaper, I won't buy any.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've seen it as well, but it looked expensive for what gives the impression of being a low end product because of the appearance of the packaging, it's getting close to twice the price of the run of the mill Winchester 9mm. It's good to know it's decent stuff if you are stuck finding anything else. From the velocities etc. quoted I don't see an issue firing 9mm in a modern pistol.

The 7.62 x 39 was also very pricey for that caliber, but is likely better quality than the Russian made stuff I'm familiar with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Exactly. About all I can find around here is the self defense ammo at about a buck a round. This was the 1st time I've seen a box of 50 9mm at Wally World for a long time so I thought I'd try it. Not bad but I much prefer the stuff that's $5 a box cheaper.

I saw it at Walmart, then came home and did some homework. It appears to be good quality ammo, but it is more expensive than WWB or American Eagle.
I did not find any negative opinions or information about it, other than it is more expensive for FMJ. I wouldn't be scared to use it, but as long as I can get Federal, American Eagle, or WWB cheaper, I won't buy any.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I picked a couple of boxes at Walmart this week and plan to try go shooting soon. From what I read before I bought it all reports said it was okay. True is it about $5 more a box than the Federal or Winchester.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Exactly. About all I can find around here is the self defense ammo at about a buck a round. This was the 1st time I've seen a box of 50 9mm at Wally World for a long time so I thought I'd try it. Not bad but I much prefer the stuff that's $5 a box cheaper.
My Walmart has had both American Eagle and Federal for $13 and change a box, with the ZQI running $23. They have had boxes on the shelves almost everytime I've been in there lately. Tulammo Brassmax, too.

·
Banned
945 Posts
Kind of old thread but I just bought the 1200 rounds box today, no issues thus far through my M11-A1 though my G19 did choke (FTF...Failure to Feed) on two them. My G19 in well over 2000 rounds has never had an issue with any type of ammo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've shot a box of it and it was okay. IMO I think the Winchester variant is better (cheaper and American). Also, the Win NATO was more accurate.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I shoot 50 rounds of that thing with my new P938. Zero issues.

I bought it because honestly, I was desperate. Can't find 9mm or .380 on any local store. I paid around 20 bucks for a 50 rounds box, so it's not actually cheap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts