SIG Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in a 1-6x24 (or something very similar) for my 716 Patrol Rifle. I want to utilize for self defense and maybe 300 meters (give or take). I want to stay under $700 as well. I do like the Steiner P4XI (1-4x24), the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 seems pretty nice as well.

Curious what you all like.

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a strike eagle on my 6920. I like it a lot for the money. Got it from brownells with a Burris pepr mount for $350 a few weeks back. It's really made shooting my AR fun again. I can't speak on the others but I think a strike eagle is hard to beat under $400.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd recommend staying away from the Strike Eagle. You get what you pay for. Eye relief is crummy , the eye box is almost non-existent, the turrets have lots of slop and I've seen them break in just a 2-day rifle class.

If you go Vortex, I wouldn't recommend lower than the Viper line. Steiner is a good choice, and so is Trijicon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am asking the same question and leaning toward a Trijicon AccuPower 1-4 or maybe SWFA SS 1-6.
The SWFA has the advantage o first focal point and a terrific reticle

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
If you can find a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6x24 on sale you can get close to the $700. Vortex has the Viper VST Gen2 which my son has and I can recommend.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Vortex makes nice stuff. I have no need for a piece of glass with that capability, though. I have my eye on the Spitfire 3x., but having the money I would look at a Trijicon ACOG variant, but your budget precludes that. I think the SF3 would be a nice piece of glass out to say 100 yards. Beyond that you may want a bolt .308?

Vortex Optics - Spitfire 3x Prism Scope EBR-556B<br />(MOA)

UPDATE: Sorry, I overlooked the "7" in your 716...was thinking strictly AR15 when I read patrol rifle. I like the Strike Eagle...should get it done nicely, IMHO.

Reactions: Blu

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Vortex makes nice stuff. I have no need for a piece of glass with that capability, though. I have my eye on the Spitfire 3x., but having the money I would look at a Trijicon ACOG variant, but your budget precludes that. I think the SF3 would be a nice piece of glass out to say 100 yards. Beyond that you may want a bolt .308?

Vortex Optics - Spitfire 3x Prism Scope EBR-556B<br />(MOA)

UPDATE: Sorry, I overlooked the "7" in your 716...was thinking strictly AR15 when I read patrol rifle. I like the Strike Eagle...should get it done nicely, IMHO.
I am in a much different budget than when I first started shooting. Now I first would look for an ACOG in anything I was using for 200+ shots, but they are a luxury item which I have drifted towards.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have a couple of the Bushnell 1-6.5X SMRS tactical Elite scopes and love them. One got beat around pretty good in a 40 mph T bone crash and never missed a beat. Thousands of 308 and 5.56 rounds with no issues. Very good reticle for both CQB and medium range.
Bushnell - SMRS 1-6.5x 24mm

·
Registered
93 Posts
You may want to also watch a few features or in some case pitfalls.

First Focal Plane, is one reason I like the SWFA SS 1-6, upon zooming in the reticle zooms in too.
MIL/Moa, watch for optics which the reticle is gradient in MILS but the turrets are in minutes.
Reticle, often some manufacturers compensate for poor quality with a flashy, fancy reticle.

Be aware also, some 1-x are not truly no magnification at 1x. This will interfere with shooting with both eyes open for some.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Wow no Tango 6 love here on Sigtalk? I just mounted one on my DDM4 V7 and got her zeroed at 200. Its got some weight but the glass is very clear edge to edge and the reticle holds up well in the sun. So far so good.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm using a Leupold VX6 right now. Good scope out to 500 yards. Has the red dot for close up shots. Very light and well built of course. For me the weight of the 716, with all the furniture started to become and issue.

-Mike

Sig 716 with Ergo buttstock, Leupold VX6 1-6x, Lancer handguard, Harris, Saker.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts