SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you use a full size as your everyday carry weapon? I was looking at the P320 compact or carry model, but after reading the specs there was such a small difference in the size & weight I decided to just go with the full size. The fact that I'm a bigger than average guy may have something to do with it. Having said that, I'm going to get the subcompact conversion as soon as I can find one for my "light summer carry" setup, but there's just not a huge difference between the other 3 sizes. Is anyone with me on this? I would appreciate your opinion pro or con.

·
Registered
209 Posts
There's somewhat adequate differences between the full, carry and compact.

The length difference (according to their site) is .8 inches for both the frame and barrel. The height on the full and carry is the same, and the compact is .2 inches shorter, so a minimal difference there.

Me, I currently tote the Compact and like it, and am eagerly awaiting the release of the carry frame to swap in to. Yes yes, I could buy a full size and cut and sand it down, but I can be patient.

My opinion? If it works for you, roll with it. I've CCed a P226 Stainless before, and the only thing that bothered me was the weight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed. I've just started carrying the full size and so far so good, but I've had friends tell me that it'll wear on me eventually. I just don't see how 3oz and less that an inch difference in any direction can make that much difference. It may over time, I don't know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
One's physique does matter up to an extent. I carry a Sig P226 throughout the year. In winters I mostly carry it in Galco's Miami Classic Shoulder Holster and use Summer Comfort IWB in summers. Although I'm bigger than an average guy, but in summers, I have to be careful about what I wear while carrying a full frame pistol...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like we're about to have open carry here in Texas (for those of us with chl's). While I personally won't open carry, it's nice to know I won't have to worry about printing occasionally. I may even start using an owb holster under my jackets or untucked shirts. That should help mitigate some of the size/comfort issues.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I carry a Carry-size P220 IWB. The grip prints a little bit through just a t-shirt, but with a jacket of any sort it's practically gone. Down in the south, there's not many guns that won't print in August attire.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I went from carrying an M&P Shield 9mm to an XD 45 and there is a big difference even though both are sub-compact weapons. They are virtually the same height and length but the XD is .5 inch thicker. The thing is, I carry the XD well, and I shoot it better too. That is where your focus should be as others have said.

If the full size feels right, then carry it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I went from carrying an M&P Shield 9mm to an XD 45 and there is a big difference even though both are sub-compact weapons. They are virtually the same height and length but the XD is .5 inch thicker. The thing is, I carry the XD well, and I shoot it better too. That is where your focus should be as others have said.

If the full size feels right, then carry it.
I have a buddy who did & said this exact thing. No regrets.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Being 5'10" and about 155 pounds, a full-size pistol is difficult for me to conceal year-round. In the winter months, I've been using a Glock 19 as I can wear loose cover garments. When the weather or the occasion dictates lighter clothing, I've been using a Kahr CM9 behind the hip and that works pretty well.

It would be great to be able to carry a full-size pistol but it doesn't work for me, given my physical size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Carry what you shoot well. Dress around it to make it comfortable. Dark, loose, print type shirts cover very well. Pants a size bigger than you need & dark in color. A good belt. With this you can carry anything...within reason. JMO

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have been carrying my TacOps for about 4 weeks now and it is not a problem, I'm also used to carrying a USP .40.
A good OWB holster that keeps it tight to your body makes a big difference in how it prints and makes it easier to conceal.
A good belt can make or break your comfort level on this, if its moving around on your hips a bunch then you are going to get tired of it quickly.
I agree with all that have responded, to carry what you shoot the best and what is comfortable for you.
Hope I helped

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Carry the largest gun you can shoot well and conceal well.

If you're short and pear-shaped, you can probably carry most any height but length may be a problem.

If you're short and thin, height, width, and length can all matter.

If you're tall and thin, only height may matter.

Posture also matters.

What you can actually conceal isn't just what you can successfully conceal in front of the bathroom mirror. I can conceal anything just standing around. After being stubborn for a while on what I can and can't conceal, I've come up with a two-point test for concealability:

1) Sit on a park bench (comfortably).
2) Pick something heavy up off the floor.

I used to think I could conceal a P229 just fine, but have had to evolve on that position and realize I can't. At least, not while doing anything other than walking around. In the wrong dimension, a half and inch can be a killer. Holster cant can sometimes help as can how deep the pistol sits in your belt.

But if you're talking about the 320, there's no reason not to try all the different sizes. Personally, I think the subcompact is too tall to be considered subcompact, but you may not feel the same way.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I would suggest carrying the biggest gun you feel comfortable with as well as a gun that you have the most confidence in. When I say confidence, I mean the ability to shoot, maintain and with no failures of any kind. Most of all, carry with a round in the chamber!
Also welcome to Sig Talk, lots of great folks here willing to help.

Reactions: FLSlim

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
What I carry each day depends on my mood mostly, and somewhat on what I plan on doing that day.

Some days, like today which is mostly casual, I'm carrying my P229 in an IWB holster and simply covered with a t-shirt. Since OC is legal in Alabama, and even encouraged by some LEOs in the Madison area, I couldn't care less if I print or not. Occasionally I'll even carry OWB also which is more comfortable with the 229, but I don't like it hanging out quite as far as it does because I'm always whacking it on things as I walk by.

Other days I like to carry my 9mm P239 in my Ozarks IWB holster. It is so comfy that I often forget I'm wearing it.... which can be bad if I strut into a post office or need to take something to my daughter at school! :eek:

Finally, if deep cover is required, I'll carry my LCP in a wallet holster in the right front pocket. Unless I'm searched, scanned with a magnetometer and/or made to empty my pockets, nobody will ever know it's there! :cool:

Reactions: Fisheyes

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Rule number one, carry the gun that is sufficiently comfortable, given your chosen belt and holster, that you will carry each and every day. Then carry what you are confident in, can shoot well, and have trained with. Whether that is full sized or subcompact, you should be in good shape. My personal view, the bigger the caliber, the better.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Great minds think alike FLSlim! I forgot to mention a quality belt, makes a huge difference. Nice gun in your avatar.

·
Premium Member
38,073 Posts
I have a problem of running hotter than most people. If it gets into the teens to 0 and I am out over a 1/2 hour or so, I might put a jacket on.
I have a collection of coats that I haven't ever worn.
In the 30s to 60s I am in my element.
Drives people absolutely nuts.

For me it is tucked short sleeve shirts year round, so I pocket carry a 938 most of the time.
I have a 220 compact SAO I really like, but I rarely can carry it.

Reactions: stealth

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Great minds think alike FLSlim! I forgot to mention a quality belt, makes a huge difference. Nice gun in your avatar.
Good point! I'd never owned a quality gun belt until recently when I was gifted with an Armour belt a few weeks ago. Man what a HUGE difference it makes when carrying IWB or OWB! Wish I'd not waited so stinkin' long because I did myself a disservice by doing so! :angry:

Reactions: DFM914

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
<<snip>>
For me it is tucked short sleeve shirts year round, so I pocket carry a 938 most of the time. <<snip>>
Have you considered a tuckable IWB holster like the Ozarks IWB kydex hybrid, or the Crossbreed Supertuck? That way you can carry bigger and still have your shirt tucked in. I frequently carry my P229/357 IWB with a tucked shirt and it carries and hides just fine. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.