SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Numbers got too small now use digital even reads fractions!

Reactions: Mainer

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I have a vernier height gauge made in Birmingham, England. That's how I discovered I needed reading glasses when I was 45. Also have a 0-12 Starrett vernier caliper. Thank God for the Opti-Visor.

·
🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
9,057 Posts
I have them to measure everything imaginable. Still use them. They seem to be much better for duplicating.

Reactions: tdubya and Mills

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I still have My Slide Rule and Drafting Instruments/
Do not really remember how to use the Slide Rule but still use the Drafting Instruments.
I took the last slide rule class taught in my high school. Remember the BIG Pickett teaching slide rule? Electronic calculators were just coming on in those days. They were EXPENSIVE and didn't do all that many functions. HP & TI were the game. Mr. Stonecipher our chemistry and physics teacher would race the students with calculators vs. his BIG Pickett teaching slide rule and win more often than not.

As for drafting instruments, I refer to that as PAD (pencil aided design) vs. CAD (computer aided design). If you don't have the mind for spatial relationships that 2d drawing develops, you'll never be a good 3D CAD designer. I've dealt with too many CAD jockeys that designed stuff that couldn't be made.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have one, but it is getting to the point that I need a magnifying glass to see what marks are aligned. I am thinking of getting a digital or dial for that reason.

·
🎖USA Veteran Premium Member
9,057 Posts
I took the last slide rule class taught in my high school. Remember the BIG Pickett teaching slide rule? .
I have two credit hours in college for slide rule. I should have taken basket weaving, at least I could use that.

Reactions: dwg13013 and Mills

·
Registered
43 Posts
I love my 0-6" Brown & Sharpe dial caliper. Used as an inspection tool for years, when so many folks went digital. And after all that time, my mind registers the measurement faster with the dial, than with digital calipers, even though the digital has the readout in big numbers. Same with telling time with an analog watch. Funny how your brain works, right?

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
I love my 0-6" Brown & Sharpe dial caliper. Used as an inspection tool for years, when so many folks went digital. And after all that time, my mind registers the measurement faster with the dial, than with digital calipers, even though the digital has the readout in big numbers. Same with telling time with an analog watch. Funny how your brain works, right?
You've discovered the exact reason why many aircraft instruments are analog. You can see the spatial relationship between the dial and indicator much faster than you can read digital.

IIRC, you can read around 6 or 7 analog in the time it takes you to read 1 digital.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Lol, funny you bring this up, I installed a new sink on Thursday for the wife and needed something to make sure it was centered. Walked into my room and grabbed my dial gauge. Bam, done.
I did buy a digital one for the garage but rarely use it anymore since I don't build engines and other projects due to time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.