SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...on a short road trip, stopped at a Central Texas small gun shop.
They had a fair amount of new handguns, SIGs, Glocks, ect.
I asked if he had a p320 in 357 SIG.

Proprietor said he will no longer stock anything but 22, 380, 9mm, and 45acp in semi autos.

No 357sig, 40, 10, or 45gap as they tend to collect dust.:eek:

What says the crew ?

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
His choice. If I was anywhere near there, I'd want to know what shop it was so I wouldn't waste my time with a dealer that refuses to sell what I want.

Poor businessman. IMO, there's a fairly high possibility the calibers "sit there" because he promotes is choices, not the customers. Arrogant.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
.357 is a niche cartridge. Most of the shooting public probably hasn't heard of it. I know .40 has fallen out of favor the last year. I didn't think it was that bad.

As for not selling, I'm sure if you pulled out the CC, he would be happy to order you one.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Some dealers are not worth worrying about .

I can understand the NO 45 GAP but hey texas . Guys hunt hogs don't they . 10mm makes a good piggy cartridge and I have carried 40sw since around 1991.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Small shops have limited $$$ to stock every caliber. 357 is not wildly popular.

I love it, my overall favorite. As long as a P229 is wrapped around it!

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
Unfortunately for we consumers it's not very financially responsible for a dealer to stock something that isn't going to turn 3+ times a year. There aren't too many out there who wouldn't special order one in though. The fact is, 357 sigs are not very popular. I see more and more shops moving away from 40s too. It's impossible for a store to inventory everything. They really have no choice but to stock the top selling selection within their budgets. Right now that's mostly 9, 380, 45 and 22 with a mix of revolvers and a few other odds and ends mixed in. Keep in mind, we are headed into the slow season for firearms retail. Shops are thinning the herd and trying to keep cash flowing so they can weather the storm. Before anyone jumps to conclusions and name calling, take this into consideration. These are mostly independently owned businesses who are doing their best to support our cause. The only arrogance is thinking that one is entitled enough to pass judgement without knowing all of the facts.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Sounds like a smart business man. He knows what he can and can't sell and stocks accordingly. This is the best practice for a small independent shop, especially if he wants to stay in business. In this area I wouldn't likely stock any 357sig or 10mm but the 40 is something I would likely keep a few of, but again he knows his business better than any one here does.

·
Registered
55,907 Posts
yes indeed, stock what you sell & don't worry about the one time buyer who just happens to stop in.

cater to what your loyal customers want/need/buy.

Reactions: FLASIG

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yep, I totally understand his logic. If it was a local guy that I frequented I would ask him what the price would be that he could get and sell a batch to me. if it was reasonable I'd buy a case from him that way.

But, to be blunt. I buy nearly 100% of my ammo from either gun shows or online retailers. Only one-off sales grab my attention locally.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Can't blame him as he's the that knows what sells best where he is and having inventory that sits is just wasting his money. Just a sad reality in the market today the little guy just can't afford to stock things that don't move.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I agree with some of the replies here. 10, 357 sig and 45 gap in general are not popular cartridges and for some crazy reason the 40 has fell out of favor with shooters.The LGS is a businessman and as such - if those calibers aren't moving in his neck of the woods - then it would make sense not to sell them.

PS I am just confused as to why he doesn't carry the popular .25acp pistol :lol:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen .357 Sig or .45 GAP at my LGS. They have always carried 40 S&W and 10mm though. They had a really nice Colt in .38 Super that sat on the shelf for nine months. They rarely have .22's anymore either. Why stock less common cartridges if they won't sell ? It makes more sense to just make special orders for the people that want those.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am fortunate to live a couple hundred miles to the NW of Steve. In the thriving metropolis of ABQ, we have one of the best gunshops in the country, Ron Peterson Guns. If he doesn't have it, Bulldog Firearms in Rio Rancho, one of the 2 Calibers indoor ranges, Omni Arms, Los Ranchos Gun Shop, or Sportman's Warehouse]are likely suspects. I try to stay out of Ron's, because I usually have to leave with something...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Retail is retail. In a small business if you can't sell it you'd be crazy to stock it.
Sure it would look good on the shelf, where it would stay, looking good, on the shelf.
A big shop can afford to tie up money with 'eye candy' that may sell in two weeks or two years. Mom and pop shops, not so much.

Locke

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
As for the 10MM I agree with Him. I hardly ever even see any 10MM at the local Gun Shows much less see any Ammo except at the Big Box stores.
I don't disagree on the 10mm either. It is indeed a rare caliber and those embracing it normally reload their own and have a supply of factory ammo on hand. They fully expect to have to order it.

However, suggesting 357Sig a niche caliber is a comment of the uninformed.

357Sig is still a popular caliber in law enforcement. Though not complete, a visit to view the list of users wikipedia might help.

Where it is true some listed using agencies have moved to 9mm for budget constraints and to have the ability of carrying more rounds in their service pistols, it is also true that some agencies have moved from other calibers to 357Sig.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
LE agencies don't often buy much if at all locally so what they do means little to a local LGS . I live in a very rural area in NC mountains . We have a general store/lgs here that people drive some ways to get to as he stocks some ammo by the cases and will have some 45gap 10mm 357sig for sale by the box and most anything else you could ask for . If its not is stock they have it in one two days . Its hard not go in there and not see some one buying a firearm .

A local gun shop is what the owner makes of it and far to many of them have showed up over the last 8 years with nothing special to offer and don't work to grow there business to b ring in any one outside there neighbor hood . Will they stay in business when sale drop off like were starting to see now ? Time will tell . I watched several lgs shops close down in Asheville NC since the election .

As it happens our deputy's carry 357sig and 40 sell well but they stock 10mm and a few handguns chambered for it but were in a rural area were men are men !! HA Sorry , had to .

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I tried to like the .357Sig but I could never find ammo for it. This was during the first ammo scare. Luckily a friend of mine liked it and the Glock 31 that was chambered in it. I ended up selling it to him.

I never had a need to get a 10mm or 45GAP either so I never bought one. It's been a while since I have even seen 45gap ammo for sale.
The only place that I have seen selling 357sig and 45gap pistols is GTs in Austin, TX. They were mostly leo trade-in Glocks and a few Sig P226s in 357sig.

I still like 40sw and will keep shooting it even if other people don't. Both of my best cheap pistols have been 40s. A stainless P229 and a barely used P226 I got for $350 each.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
499 Posts
However, suggesting 357Sig a niche caliber is a comment of the uninformed.

357Sig is still a popular caliber in law enforcement...
357 Sig may be popular with LE, but certainly not with the masses. I am a big fan of this caliber as well as the 10mm (which IMHO I think may be coming back). You need to look no further than the manufacturers to see if its popular. Sig and Glock carry the most models, but how about S&W, Taurus, Kahr, Springfield, Colt, ... not so much if anything in 357 Sig from them. Last check Gunbroker had over 17k 9mm pistols, over 11k 45 acp pistols and just over 200 pistols in 357 Sig.

Fortunately ammo is available and has come down to a reasonable price. Any pistol I have in 357 Sig also has a 40 barrel as well - just in case this ammo gets scarce or expensive.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Supply what the market demands. However, offering customers alternatives and choices can lead a good salesman to some serious pesos..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts