SIG Talk banner

Yes, another finish thread

1280 Views 14 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  BrowningsGhost
BUT.... mines a little different.

I am aware of how fragile the gray pvd finish might be. I'm not concerned with any handling or carrying / holster wear I might get.

The issue I'm concerned with is on the frame rails. And YES I know there will be some.

What concerns me is that I might be wearing through whatever coating is underneath the pvd finish (hard anodizing, or whatever it is).

That's what I want to ask about. My legion has worn down to the gold anodizing, and looks to be through that in some spots. I have just under 500 rounds through the gun, and it has been cleaned several times and grease applied appropriately. By no means am I hard on my guns, and I have several aluminum 1911's that don't have that wear after thousands of rounds.

Do you think this warrants a contact to sig?

PS its dirty, I know. Ill clean it this morning and take some more close up pics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5,817 Posts
The quick easy test to determine if wear is through the anodize layer:

Anodize is an intentional aluminum oxide that is "grown" on the parent metal. Aluminum is an electrical conductor. Aluminum oxide (anodizing) is an insulator.

Use an ohm meter and place both leads on the worn area to be tested (but not touching each other). Or one lead can usually be placed on the sear retention roll pin as that's typically contacting the underlying aluminum as well. The other lead can then be touched to the suspect areas.

If you get an short or conducting indication, you are on bare metal. If an open, the anodize layer is intact.

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip. I just checked with my multimeter.

and I will say, its harder to do than you might think. The outside gray finish will conduct a signal, but the goldish colored wear spots will not. So for now its not worn through, as best I can tell.

I may still send an e-mail to sig. see what they say. cant hurt.

· Registered
42 Posts
Wear on aluminum (or the preferred term: "alloy") frames happens. It's a pet peeve of mine too to see such rail wear on the expensive new pistol you just purchased but I don't see how you avoid it unless you're not going to shoot it. :confused: It appears normal to me but most of my experience to date has been with bright finished Smith & Wessons, not Sigs. :cool:

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you having any issues with the finish on the slide or frame itself?
Nope. just on the top of the rails. Inside they look fine still. frame and slide look ok too.

What worried me was the appearance of being worn through the gold color underneath. According to the ohm test with my multimeter that was suggested, its ok still.

Ill keep an eye on it.

· Registered
227 Posts
This is normal. It's hard to tell from the photos but this might be brass that is rubbed on to the surface and not actually wear. I have this on both of my legions that are thoroughly lubed with Lucas grease. I have 2000 rounds through my 229 and there is minimal wear on the finish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.