SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some new XS Ram night sights for my p226. Now 3 front sights have gone dead just days after installation, rear sight has been fine. Shop I took them to uses a sight pusher, I confirmed and made sure they weren’t smashing or hammering the heck out of them, they looked clean. XS just keeps sending me new front sights. What’s the deal here, does XS make cruddy sights?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,843 Posts
I've only had a brief experience with XS Sights, recently installing their DXT2 Big Dot Orange sight set on my DAO P239 .40 S&W. Following their instructions on "thinning" the thickness of the front dovetail, to more closely fit the slide dovetail, rather than trying to "squeeze" it. I haven't had an issue, such as you are describing...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I've only had a brief experience with XS Sights, recently installing their DXT2 Big Dot Orange sight set on my DAO P239 .40 S&W. Following their instructions on "thinning" the thickness of the front dovetail, to more closely fit the slide dovetail, rather than trying to "squeeze" it. I haven't had an issue, such as you are describing...
I really like the I-dot set up. Had not heard of this brand. Very reasonably priced as well. Have to look into it some more. Hopefully others will chime in here.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Got some new XS Ram night sights for my p226. Now 3 front sights have gone dead just days after installation, rear sight has been fine. Shop I took them to uses a sight pusher, I confirmed and made sure they weren’t smashing or hammering the heck out of them, they looked clean. XS just keeps sending me new front sights. What’s the deal here, does XS make cruddy sights?
I read somewhere about it being possible to crush the tritium vial during installation. Seems odd that 3 sets would fail in a row all within days of the install. Assuming the same sights were opened and not installed on a gun would they fail in 3 days? I am quite sure they would not. That leaves the install. Sig sights are tight. I have had the pusher try to lift me off my chair trying to turn it lol. I now do as Willard suggested and work the sight a bit. From a machining stand point it seems like they come a hair oversize expecting a bit of final fitment/finishing. No one does that tho they just get a pusher and FORCE them in and go on and on about how tight Sig sights are. They are only as tight as you want them to be. Everyone worries bout goin to far and ruining the front site tho.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upon closer inspection, I suspected this was the case, the last sight looked a little forced as some materials on the sight seemed to be pushed up. The other sight that went bad didn’t look as forced. Still, it’s weird that would be enough to damage the vial. Anyway, they’re sending me a label and will look at it. They’re in Texas so hopefully won’t take long. XS has great customer service I will say.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,843 Posts
Upon closer inspection, I suspected this was the case, the last sight looked a little forced as some materials on the sight seemed to be pushed up. The other sight that went bad didn’t look as forced. Still, it’s weird that would be enough to damage the vial. Anyway, they’re sending me a label and will look at it. They’re in Texas so hopefully won’t take long. XS has great customer service I will say.
Honestly, they were the FIRST manufacture, that I can recollect, advising how to "slim" their sights. Honestly, it wasn't an "option" I had considered before, but I did as they advised! Most sights are slightly oversized to insure they will fit, even older worn dovetails. I didn't take as much off, as their video suggested, as using a pusher, I didn't need to use their version of supplied "Loc-Tite".

Reactions: Heavy Industries

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a Trijicon front sight go bad too after being installed by CCR. I think it can happen across the board. Funny, Trij and Truglo (went bad too) blamed the gunsmith, at least XS didn’t. Methinks night sights are too much trouble unless they come that way. I’ll probably just do it myself for now on.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I have one version of their sights or another on 4 guns, all have worked perfectly since new. Having watched an expert install sights on many guns, I know it takes a person with good tools and a good touch.
Look at some videos of sight-pushers being used on youtube and you'll find a few good (and many bad) examples.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I have one version of their sights or another on 4 guns, all have worked perfectly since new. Having watched an expert install sights on many guns, I know it takes a person with good tools and a good touch.
Look at some videos of sight-pushers being used on youtube and you'll find a few good (and many bad) examples.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts