SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
23,811 Posts
I do not believe in "knock off" barrels coming from the factory. That is absurd.
But I have never seen a "font" like that. The closest thing to that in Microsoft's True Type Fonts would be the Comic Sans MS font. That looks like a kid wrote it.

SIG always has very crisp letters and numbers on their barrels. Not even back in the day when it looked more like script was it that sloppy.

Looks to me like somebody got bored and was playing around.

What the heck is the "H2O" on the opposite side (I don't think it means water)? Never seen that. But I don't own a P365.

Reactions: S_S

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have no idea what H20 means on the barrel but here is the picture. This is my same 365 that has the frame rails sticking out past the slide. My first 365 is perfect. Frame rails and the slide are flush. My lgs said Sig struggled during COVID. A lot of their machinists took the government unemployment deal and they were short staffed.

I do not believe in "knock off" barrels coming from the factory. That is absurd.
But I have never seen a "font" like that. The closest thing to that in Microsoft's True Type Fonts would be the Comic Sans MS font. That looks like a kid wrote it.

SIG always has very crisp letters and numbers on their barrels. Not even back in the day when it looked more like script was it that sloppy.

What the heck is the "H2O" on the opposite side (I don't think it means water)? Never seen that. But I don't own a P365.

Attachments

·
Banned
84 Posts

The OP and I were on DM and I had sent him an example of the Comic Sans Serif in my first response. That is exactly what it looked like to me.

If the barrels are stamped, making a new die for multiple fonts makes no sense. Everyone is about branding and keeping that brand appearance. That change on the barrel is enough for anyone to question wht the heck happened.

·
Registered
23,811 Posts
I have no idea what H20 means on the barrel but here is the picture. This is my same 365 that has the frame rails sticking out past the slide. My first 365 is perfect. Frame rails and the slide are flush. My lgs said Sig struggled during COVID. A lot of their machinists took the government unemployment deal and they were short staffed.
Interesting.

The issue with the frame rails showing is very widespread in all SIGs. You can easily find pictures of P220s, P226s and P229s like that. It can be seen on almost all of them to some degree.

Unlike a hand made and fit custom 1911, the slides and frames are manufactured, finished and assembled by different people on different assembly lines at different dates/times and the put together at a later date/time. The contouring and finishing of the rear of the slides as well as the rear of the frame varies due to the human element in production. I have a lot of the classic SIGs (220/226/229) and every one of them is different in that aspect of the slide-to-frame fit. I guess there is still enough human intervention in the production of the 365 that it shows up on it too. But yours is a LOT better than many I've seen, even on pricey all stainless SIGs.

Zoom in on my picture of my Stainless Elites and you'll see it on them to different degrees. Two with German-made frames and two with US-made frames. All have US-made slides.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recently got a Sig Sauer P365 at my local gun shop. Included in the purchase was a gray SIG case, magazine redemption form for the second magazine due to coronavirus, owners manual, and gun lock. My question is with the “Sig Sauer” and 9mmx19 on the barrel. On most of the barrels I’ve seen, those letters are nice; crisp, and precise. However, on mine the letters looks like they were hand engraved, and extremely sloppy. I’ve had others tell me that it’s a fake barrel or knockoff barrel. I just don’t see how it could be. There is no way the gun had been used before I bought it. Is this normal or what?
Looks exactly like mine. No worries, it's not engraved, it's stamped and stamps will start deforming quickly causing this due to the pressure.

Top pic is p365, bottom is my XL. Since I got the XL barrel directly from Sig 2 weeks ago, it's legit.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
D20

My P365 barrel has D20 on the left side. You will have to ask SIG what that means.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thunderglock, look at your picture side by side with the OP's pictures. They don't look alike at all.
Look the same to me. Zoom in and inspect. There is nothing here, people are making an issue out of nothing. Someone in this thread even contacted Sig, and they said it's normal.....

·
Registered
914 Posts
I recently got a Sig Sauer P365 at my local gun shop. Included in the purchase was a gray SIG case, magazine redemption form for the second magazine due to coronavirus, owners manual, and gun lock. My question is with the “Sig Sauer” and 9mmx19 on the barrel. On most of the barrels I’ve seen, those letters are nice; crisp, and precise. However, on mine the letters looks like they were hand engraved, and extremely sloppy. I’ve had others tell me that it’s a fake barrel or knockoff barrel. I just don’t see how it could be. There is no way the gun had been used before I bought it. Is this normal or what?
The lettering on your barrel looks better than mine. I would be more worried about fit and function than lettering.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Look the same to me. Zoom in and inspect. There is nothing here, people are making an issue out of nothing. Someone in this thread even contacted Sig, and they said it's normal.....
While you're right about it not being a functional issue, the two engravings/stamps are pretty different. OP's definitely looks like it should've failed the inspection and not been built into a gun. Not sure I'd call Sig about it though.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The use of low cost foreign labor distorts our perception of what can or should be "normal" in firearms fit and finish. When an American factory paying $26 and up for machine operators,with health care benefits and overhead adding another 150% to "labor expense" on a profit and loss statement, vs $4.50 an hour and no benefits overseas, something has to be eliminated.

Firearms made in Turkey are, right now, the hands down bargain guns of the era. Because, the above. A Canik TP9SF is directly comparable to a Walther P99, favorably. I don't hesitate to suggest that both are actually made by people of Turkish origins in each country.

To find the kind of acceptable "fit and finish" being expected, Americans have to move up to $1,500 handguns, and bear in mind when you do, there are still issues with them not functioning perfectly straight out of the box, if new custom 1911 owners are posting accurately.

A historical study of the Mauser rifle and its fit and finish from the 1920's to the last one made in May of 1945 shows they went from beautifully polished and meticuously hand fitted and finished works of machine art, to roughly finished wartime fodder - by looks alone. As a battle rifle however, the late guns were more accurate, reliable, rugged, and durable. They weren't pretty by anybody's guidelines, but they shot Russians all day long. The pretty guns from the early days stayed in racks for parade duty - it's why they came back. Nobody wanted a mud encrusted machine finished "junker" yet it was the better gun. It's the difference between "arm candy" and performance.

This difference in appreciation of a guns looks and a guns performance has a major affect in gun guy conversations. How a barrel is engraved really has little to do with how well it shoots, but a lot on what someone might pay for it.

·
Registered
P320-M18, P320XC, M400
243 Posts
[/QUOTE]

The marking on the opposite side of the barrel is a date code. “H” for the month and “20” for the year in which the barrel was made.

As for the perceived “quality” of the font I’m sure the requirement is that it is legible. Depth looks proper and as CS said, there are different fonts. Maybe the fixture or die was loose or worn when produced, but this would pass quality control anywhere by anyone in manufacturing. We all want our pistols to be practically perfect in every way, but there is variation in mass produced firearms (and indeed, custom low rate production items as well). Enjoy your P365, shoot the heck out of it and don’t even worry about the marking on the barrel.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.