SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a great deal on this pistol, BNIB at a LGS a little over a year ago.

After about 1,000 rounds it had some serious malfunctions.
FTFire, FTExtract.
It made two trips to SIG last summer. I posted the details.

I have put 1,000 rounds thru it since it was worked over by SIG. No hiccups of any kind.

Great fun at the range.

When I bought it I was planning on adding it to my EDC rotation. (239-40 & 229-40).

It is a great pistol but I don't know that I'll ever carry it. Would you?

Maybe after another 1,000 flawless rounds? 2,000?

I like this pistol, a lot, but don't think I'll ever bet my life on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,206 Posts
If you have put 1,000 rounds through it with no issues, I would say it is fixed.
I wouldn't have a problem carrying it.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Original failure was failures to extract. A lot of them.

SIG replaced the extractor and spring.

Within 50 rounds after that, the pistol failed to fire in DA and SA modes. Would not fire at all. Big problem.

Returned to SIG, they reported they could not reproduce the problem.

So, now I have put 1,000 rounds thru it without any problems.

I have owned a couple dozen SIGs since the 80's.

None of those pistols ever had a failure or a hiccup of any kind. I don't think it's just been luck.

I like this M11-A1, so, I am not dissing the pistol at all. But, I have two other SIGs that have functioned flawlessly for decades, they are incredibly accurate and reliable. I have less trust in this pistol than the 239 and the 229 that I have carried for a long time.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I suppose only you can decide if you trust it enough to carry it at this point.

Personally, I wouldn't carry something I didn't trust. In fact, I don't think I'd own a firearm I didn't trust.

I'm sure the ones I do own and trust could someday let me down and disappoint me. I mean anything mechanical could possibly just fail at any time out of the blue.

Tough call and only one you can make.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Eventually the springs do wear and need replacement.

I have no idea what the expected round count is. My mid '90 P229 had some weak strike issues and I had to replace the main spring. I've replaced all the springs by now.

To me, 1000 rounds sounds pretty reliable.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I know the trust thing, personally if one malfunctions on me and I can not diagnose exactly and fix it turns into a range gun. Fortunately none of my Sig's have had any issue thus far.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,635 Posts
Sig Texas, as has been said, yes it's hard to trust someone/something that lets you down, after you thought it was "ready to go"! In a "perfect" world, we would know immediately before something broke, and could prevent it. Of course we all know, that's not how life works.

All we can do, is meticulously maintain our equipment, and hope it doesn't let us down, that's why we choose brands with good reputations, and not the "Saturday Night Specials"!

After taking all of these things into consideration, you cannot trust the one you have, ask yourself, if you could trust the same model, but a different one, than what you have.
If you think you could... then I would refer you back to the "perfect world" statement, because anything is subject to failure... you just need to estimate the odds, and go with the best odds!

Good Luck, in you decision!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Seems like the problems have been resolved. I would trust it. But it is not about me.

If you have a 229, it seems that there is no pressing need to have an M11-A1 in the EDC rotation, so perhaps you could spend some more time with it as a range gun and eventually develop trust in it.

·
Premium Member
8,918 Posts
Carry what you have confidence in. Nothing else. If you want to use the M-11 shoot it until you have confidence in it yourself.

·
Registered
596 Posts
FWIW I own a S&W M&P 45 pistol that I got used for half price ($300) and soon discovered why (I kinda knew already): It failed to eject and feed properly.

I replaced the extractor with an aftermarket model from Apex and it was like night and day. It's one of my favorite guns now and I trust it 100% after putting 5-600 rounds through it without any issues AT ALL.

My Dad also had troubles with his 450 Marlin lever gun and it went back to Marlin (pre-Remington) twice before it was "fixed". He has hunted and shot with it for years now without issue.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I'll never, totally, trust any mechanical device. Can a person have faith that something will function the majority of the time? Yes. 100% of the time? No. So, given the platform- the 229; Sig worked on it; you've run a substantial amount through it- I'd say it's about as trustworthy as it can be. Even if it had never failed on you, yet, it still had the potential to.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Your M-11 is fatally flawed. It will never be out from under this curse until you ship the gun to me via ABQ Guns in Albuquerque, NM. After I exorcise its demons, I will ship it back to you, in this life or the next, emanating a glow as bright as the sun, dazzling you with its brilliance (thanks to having all of the finish worn off from my carrying - er, exorcising it). You can then return it to SIG and have all of the internal springs and barrel (now almost a smoothbore) replaced. It will then give you a(nother) lifetime of faithful, trouble-free service... :)))

In all seriousness, what kind of ammunition were you using, reloads? When it refused to fire that one time, what ammunition were you using, reloads? Was that before or after you completely disassembled the gun upoon its return to check on what they did to fix it?

If you have gone 1K rounds w/o any issues, replace the recoil spring and start carrying the gun using only Federal HST, W-W Ranger, or Speer GDHP or G2 for carry, and Federal AE or W-W White Box FMJ for practice.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts