SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm considering purchasing a Sig P320 because I really like the concept of a modular design. However, because I live in California, I can't get it from an FFL, so it'll be from a private party, at a huge premium over MSRP. Additionally, I spoke with Sig this morning and was told that if anything happens to the FCU, because it's the serialized part, and can't be sold through an FFL here in California, that I would be out of luck even if it would have been covered under warranty.
So my question is, will the FCU eventually wear out or crack? I know that especially the .357 Sig can be hard on guns and I see that the slide rails are built into the FCU as is the extractor, so it does have metal to metal contact there, and the slide hits the FCU, so is it possible/likely to wear out or crack the actual FCU? Has anyone heard of a worn out P250 or P320/P365 FCU?

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I personally have not seen that to be the case. There are people who have reported over 10k rounds through them with no issues. Keep it maintained and greased in the area of rail contact and you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
No business has 100% quality control. You can get a bad one right out of the box. However, having said that, I can't imagine an average shooter wearing out an FCU. Just my opinion. I guess if you shoot it enough to wear it out then you got your money's worth out of it and can afford to buy a new one.
The 320's are nice because with one FCU you can have many different size pistols and different calibers. TG

·
Registered
10 Posts
U.S. Army extensively test the M17/18 for reliability. 12,000 rounds with zero malfunctions. Sure many competition shooters with much more rounds than that. Know a guy that has around 5,000 rounds a year for 4 years without cleaning his 320.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,056 Posts
The only Sig Sauer slide rails, that I have ever heard of that gave any problems, was the so called "Mud Rails" of the P226s made in the '86-'87 time frame, in the general, U 140 XXX - U 150 XXX vicinity serial number range.

Any poorly maintained firearm can fail, and these models you ask about are recent introductions, compared to the classic Sig models that have been around for decades.

Reactions: hauki

·
Super Moderator
1,279 Posts
I'm curious if there is any honest rational reason for the Army's selection for a reliable, safe and economical choice of handgun for our military forces to not be on the California list of approved handguns?

I'm not looking for a political answer here. Just a technical explanation.

Reactions: hauki

·
Super Moderator
P365/P365XL
884 Posts
Hi! I'm considering purchasing a Sig P320 because I really like the concept of a modular design. However, because I live in California, I can't get it from an FFL, so it'll be from a private party, at a huge premium over MSRP. Additionally, I spoke with Sig this morning and was told that if anything happens to the FCU, because it's the serialized part, and can't be sold through an FFL here in California, that I would be out of luck even if it would have been covered under warranty.
So my question is, will the FCU eventually wear out or crack? I know that especially the .357 Sig can be hard on guns and I see that the slide rails are built into the FCU as is the extractor, so it does have metal to metal contact there, and the slide hits the FCU, so is it possible/likely to wear out or crack the actual FCU? Has anyone heard of a worn out P250 or P320/P365 FCU?
In regards to the P365, I know of two accounts were a P365 range gun has gone 100k rounds before needed to be serviced. In short, if you can actually afford enough ammo to actually wear one out, you can afford to buy a new one. Another way to thing about it would be if you fired 100 rounds each an every month for the next 17 years you'd have only reached 20k rounds.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Here are the P320 and P365 FCU "frames", (respectively) that are serialized. The P320 is basically solid metal punched and bent into shape. The P365, I believe is a MIM frame.

Either way, I believe they are pretty indestructible from normal use. Every other part can be obtained without a FFL transfer.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
I would be more concerned about being a resident of California. (No offense.)

Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Auto part Engineering

Rectangle Automotive exterior Auto part Gas Cylinder

·
Registered
285 Posts
This may help visualize it. The real serialized part of the P320 FCU is the hollow metal frame in the first photo. It is pretty much indestructible. Just as @spredvan pointed out above. Everything else are small parts that you can buy anywhere online.

·
🎖USN Veteran
23 Posts
I'm curious if there is any honest rational reason for the Army's selection for a reliable, safe and economical choice of handgun for our military forces to not be on the California list of approved handguns?

Glock did not offer a weapon that met the requirements.
The program requested a pistol that was modular. Glock did not supply one.
Modularity (easily changes grip sizes to accommodate different sized hands, colors, configurations).
Sig’s Fire Control Group (FCU) allows changing serialized component to new grip if grip is damaged and a full sized pistol can become a compact in less than a minute.

Cheaper than Glock.

The pistol had to have an ambidextrous thumb safety, neither of which has Glock ever produced for the commercial market.

Glocks require (per their own instructions) pulling the trigger before disassembly. Sigs do not.

The Army believed that the Sig had a “slight technical advantage” over the Glock.

There are likely other reasons for the decision as well, but you'll continue to see plenty of Glocks around, have no doubt.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Glock did not offer a weapon that met the requirements.
The program requested a pistol that was modular. Glock did not supply one.
Modularity (easily changes grip sizes to accommodate different sized hands, colors, configurations).
Sig’s Fire Control Group (FCU) allows changing serialized component to new grip if grip is damaged and a full sized pistol can become a compact in less than a minute.

Cheaper than Glock.

The pistol had to have an ambidextrous thumb safety, neither of which has Glock ever produced for the commercial market.

Glocks require (per their own instructions) pulling the trigger before disassembly. Sigs do not.

The Army believed that the Sig had a “slight technical advantage” over the Glock.

There are likely other reasons for the decision as well, but you'll continue to see plenty of Glocks around, have no doubt.
Did I miss something here? Glock?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here are the P320 and P365 FCU "frames", (respectively) that are serialized. The P320 is basically solid metal punched and bent into shape. The P365, I believe is a MIM frame.

Either way, I believe they are pretty indestructible from normal use. Every other part can be obtained without a FFL transfer.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
I would be more concerned about being a resident of California. (No offense.)

View attachment 426869

View attachment 426870
Even though the slide rides on the rails attached to this?

·
Registered
324 Posts

Technically, California politicians are morons.

·
🎖USMC Veteran
1,519 Posts
Yes, his question was if the P320 FCU was good enough for our military why wasn't it good enough for the California handgun list.

Because commifornia sucks. The commies running the state limit handguns by their "safe handgun roster" which no new guns make the cut to be added.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.