SIG Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I've got a pretty worn down barrel and would like to know a potential round count that it has gone through. I know it is near impossible to tell, but I would just like a generalization. 1000? 5000?

Also, is it possible to refinish Sig barrels? I'm not familiar with refinishing and whatnot. Just want to make the barrel look good again as the rest of the gun is in pretty good shape. Help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Well apparently the pic links are broken, and it's good to know that cosmetic wear shouldn't matter. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey guys, I've got a pretty worn down barrel and would like to know a potential round count that it has gone through. I know it is near impossible to tell, but I would just like a generalization. 1000? 5000?
In my book, a thousand rounds is barely broken in. Five thousand is used. I wouldn't even venture to guess how many thousands of rounds are required to wear out a modern, properly maintained barrel.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
A barrel isn't too awfully expensive; if yours is in fact worn heavily, I would replace it versus refinishing it. Refinishing only treats the outside- a new barrel is new inside and out.
Unless you have a serious issue, your barrel hasn't begun to wear out at those round counts.

Reactions: Lrodrgz

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
To ask a dumb question, with what and how often do you lube it?

Mine get's a once over twice a week or so, I have to get it out from under the bed and clean out all of the dog hair.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's not worn, it's just seasoned. If it bothers you, send it to Burlington Engineering and have them apply their Melonite treatment to it OR you can order a replacement from Sig. I would however recommend applying a bit more of the lubricant of your choosing.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Agreed- that's just a used barrel. A new one, or new coating, will look that way in a matter of time.
I apply a light coat of grease to mine, on the barrel itself, and the top hood. You can easily tell the wear spots on your barrel, and make sure some grease or oil is applied to those spots, if not the whole barrel.

·
Premium Member
3,297 Posts
That's not worn. Sig has terrible finish for the barrels.
I disagree with your opinion.

92' P220 and 95' P228, thousands through these barrels, the wear is part of the design excellence. There are hundreds of members with many more rounds and equal wear and it's all normal.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.