SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Work Force Ken onion edition, to keep my knives sharp. Seems like a good tool, for a decent price. I have tried water stones, but I don't get the results and probably don't have the feel or patience.

I know enough not to heat up the blade, and to take it slowly. Any other advice, or input?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just ordered a Work Force Ken onion edition, to keep my knives sharp. Seems like a good tool, for a decent price. I have tried water stones, but I don't get the results and probably don't have the feel or patience.

I know enough not to heat up the blade, and to take it slowly. Any other advice, or input?
The abrasives are formulated to run cool, so the amount of material you'd need to take off before hear becomes an issue would essentially amount to a complete re-profiling.

The two biggest tips people miss are to pull the blade when the tip is halfway across the belt and to not change the angle as you pull away... that's how people who haven't used a sharpener before can dull their tip! Start with a beater knife, set the desired angle, and pull through until you raise a burr all the way along the edge. That's when you know you've found the true edge. After that, follow the recipe cards through to desired sharpness.

Please note that some people also find issues applying too much pressure on the 6000 grit belt, which is the most flexible, and actually dull their edge on that final step.

A couple of times and you'll be a pro!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Work Sharp's Ken Onion Edition, with all the bells and whistles, is sweet. I have one, with all the options, as well as spares. Too, Work Sharp has outstanding quality, value, and ease of use. Their unpowered sharpening systems are superb, as well, and yes, I have them too, as well as spares... Do not, however use them on valuable, collector's swords or knives- send those to accredited and proven, professional sharpeners. For everyday blades, as well as those you use on a regular basis, Work Sharp is superb...

You'll have many happy hours honing your sharpening skills. Therapy, like reloading ammo, or caring for your weapons, of any type.

Good choice, steved 13.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I watched some of the YouTube stuff, and got some good info there as well. Should be arriving today, I have an old pocket knife, that I never really carried, but used it around the house some. It's in really good condition but lost it's edge, and I'm not worried about damaging it. Seems like a perfect guinea pig.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go to your favorite thrift store and buy a selection of cheap knives with assorted blade profiles. blacken the edge with a Sharpie and practice. That is what I did before tackling my good blades.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.