SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Sig Sauer P227. I lost the Firing Pin Block while cleaning the gun. What will happen if I shoot my gun without the Firing Pin Block?
PS: I couldn't find a single store that sells Firing Pin Block online!

·
Registered
11,519 Posts
I've never tried that (and never would) so this is speculation on my part but I can see two potential problems.

First, the tip of the safety lever that would normally be pushing up on the safety lock (a.k.a., firing pin block) could catch on the hole in the slide where the safety lock should be as the slide cycles causing damage to the safety lever, slide and/or the frame.

Second, and this is more a possibility on a standard reset trigger than an SRT, the safety lever would not be pushed down by the safety lock as the slide comes back into battery (as it normally would) and the trigger mechanism might fail to reset.

In any event, your pistol would be missing an important safety feature, i.e., drop safety. Either way, hardly worth the risk.

·
Premium Member
16,972 Posts
In my opinion, if you're asking this question, you are a significant safety risk to yourself and anyone around you when you're handling that firearm.

That firearm is UNSERVICABLE in its current condition.

I strongly urge you to get it to a gunsmith or return it to Sig for service and more importantly, GET MORE TRAINING BEFORE YOU TRY TO WORK WITH FIREARMS.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I would like to hear how one loses a firing pin block :geek:

·
Banned
7,293 Posts
but what would happen?
I was told not to go outside without a coat, and I didn't die, told not to kiss a girl in a bikini cause that was dangerous too (wrong. girls by default are dangerous), told not to jump out of perfectly good aircraft yet that was quite addicting, I've been shot at and people kept encouraging me to do that...so understanding that many prefer a bubble wrapped world, what would happen?..... ;) :)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Seriously, can someone explain how one loses the firing pin block while cleaning the gun?

I clean mine after every range shoot and am wondering how I could make that mistake

·
Registered
647 Posts
Seriously, can someone explain how one loses the firing pin block while cleaning the gun?

I clean mine after every range shoot and am wondering how I could make that mistake
If I had to guess, they tried to lever it out with a screwdriver or punch and accidentally flung it across the room.

Either that or Jack Daniels.

·
Premium Member
11,522 Posts
The first time I field-stripped a 1911, I nearly swallowed the recoil spring plunger.

Never say impossible.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The first time I field-stripped a 1911, I nearly swallowed the recoil spring plunger.

Never say impossible.
Lol nice, ANY of the springs on a 1911’s are more dangerous than the .45acp round itself. Mainspring especially!

·
Registered
720 Posts
I don't have a P227, but I assume the slide safety designs are like other P class sigs. How you lost a Safety Block during cleaning is beyond me. Ok, so you made a mistake....it happens. I highly recommend you follow the general consensus of everyone that responded to this thread and have it fixed before you think about firing it. Not just for your safety, but for the folks around you.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
272 Posts
In my opinion, if you're asking this question, you are a significant safety risk to yourself and anyone around you when you're handling that firearm.

That firearm is UNSERVICABLE in its current condition.

I strongly urge you to get it to a gunsmith or return it to Sig for service and more importantly, GET MORE TRAINING BEFORE YOU TRY TO WORK WITH FIREARMS.
+1!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently ordered from Top Gun Supply and it got to me quick. You can also check Midwest Gun Works, Brownells and Midway USA. You may as well order extra parts to keep them handy.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
...questions, with specificity, yet the second is in congruent with the first,(to me at least).
...no response or thanks to the help offered
...Hmmmmmmmmmm??????????????????
...:huh::huh::huh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts