SIG Talk banner

Will holsters for the P229 fit both railed and older non-railed frames?

1906 42
As it says, i recently obtained an early 90s P229 with a German frame. Trying to order a holster for it. Does the non railed frame (as I have) fit holsters as well as the railed version? I mean retention holsters as well as leather holsters. Or do I have to search for particular holsters for it?

thanks to a great community!
Reactions: hauki
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Has anybody out there done business with We the People holsters? If not check the reviews before you attempt to. I made the mistake of not doing that. After a month of placing my order and paying with my credit card Hadnot received any response, after multiple emails still no response after another two weeks. Their website says no cancellations after 24 hours! Finally called my credit card company explain the situation they reverse the payment. Then bingo I got a response your order has been cancelled! I initially went to them because they advertised on a national radio program that I highly respected. That station must have got a lot of negative feedback because they haven't advertised since.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
This is what I have for mine, depending on what you want.

View attachment 453442

Upper Left: Galco Concealable #CON250B, Upper Middle: Mitch Rosen #President Express, Upper Right: DeSantis Speed Scabbard #002bac7z0 also a thumb break model available, #001bac7z0

Lower Left: Galco Fletch #FL250, Lower Right: Galco Fletch #FL250B

The Galco holsters will fit both Frame styles, and Slide styles, the DeSantis will fit both Slide styles only. The Mitch Rosen will also fit both Slide styles only as well.
I carry OWB and like leather holsters but don’t carry mine because I don’t want a thumb break and the leather options without thumb break don’t provide material between the weapon and my body. I don’t like direct skin contact when carrying and living in warm climate I don’t layer shirts hence my carrying an Alien Gear Kydex.
Willard, any reason why the P229 upper left in your photo is the only one equipped with a standard trigger while the other have Short Reachers? I know your a fan of short reach but saw the one black sheep and was curious.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Today I ordered the 1791 holster,BHX/with the thumb break,vintage color.
Let me know how it fits. I just got two 1791 holsters for my Ruger SP101. Both are OWB, one is a paddle and the other has belt holes. They seem very well made to me, if anything they are too tight at first. I’m still breaking them in.
Is your P229 9mm or 357/40?

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Let me know how it fits. I just got two 1791 holsters for my Ruger SP101. Both are OWB, one is a paddle and the other has belt holes. They seem very well made to me, if anything they are too tight at first. I’m still breaking them in.
Is your P229 9mm or 357/40?
. 357/40. If you look up early up in the thread I posted pics of a model 59 Bianchi that is clearly stamped Sig Sauer p228 / 229, I do not know about the dimensions of the 229 9 mm, but this holster clearly does not fit my gun! It's up for grabs for whoever wants it! The reason for the 1791 vintage is for the winter time I carry owb under my jacket or shirt,summertime Sticky Holster appendix, I tried my friends Alien Gear, although nice doesn't work out for me driving or sitting. While driving I take my sticky and 229 and wedge it between the seat and the console nice Fast Access, when I get out of the car put it at appendix. Plus that vintage 1791 looks like something I would definitely like to show off at the range!

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,087 Posts
I carry OWB and like leather holsters but don’t carry mine because I don’t want a thumb break and the leather options without thumb break don’t provide material between the weapon and my body. I don’t like direct skin contact when carrying and living in warm climate I don’t layer shirts hence my carrying an Alien Gear Kydex.
Willard, any reason why the P229 upper left in your photo is the only one equipped with a standard trigger while the other have Short Reachers? I know your a fan of short reach but saw the one black sheep and was curious.
It's a GGI Dual Adjustable "Curved" Trigger... with the take-up eliminated, it works well enough for me.

Edit to show, my finger placement with no pressure yet on the Trigger...

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Combat pistol shooting Everyday carry

As you can see... I'm not a Hand Model...:giggle:

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,087 Posts
Leeeagle, the early P229 with Legacy 9mm Slide, while profiled identical to the .357/.40 Legacy Slide is of smaller dimensions, both in width and height.

Being leather, you could likely stretch it to fit, your .357/.40 P229. But given the difference in profiles between the P228 Slide, and the Legacy style Slide, regardless of caliber, it's the exact molding of the leather to the slide, that provides retention on an open top holster, so interchangeability, suffers.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Leeeagle, the early P229 with Legacy 9mm Slide, while profiled identical to the .357/.40 Legacy Slide is of smaller dimensions, both in width and height.

Being leather, you could likely stretch it to fit, your .357/.40 P229. But given the difference in profiles between the P228 Slide, and the Legacy style Slide, regardless of caliber, it's the exact molding of the leather to the slide, that provides retention on an open top holster, so interchangeability, suffers.
I figured it had to be something like that, not that fond of paddle holsters anyway although that one holds better than most. Either way doesn't matter much at this point, I got that nice looking 1791 coming soon.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I bought this Galco Side Snap Scabbard holster for my P229 Legion. Since then I've used it for the following

P229 SAS (9mm)
P227 SAS
P320c
P239 (40 and 9)
HK P30 and P30SK

I think what makes all of these possible is that it was made for the railed 229, and with the screw tensioner I can open it a bit to fit the P227 and tighten it to fit the 229 SAS, P239's, and the HK's.

I haven't tried it on the German frame 229 40 I have coming though. But since it holds the P227 nicely I'm thinking it will hold that one too.
Elephant Creative arts Pink Red Font
Red Material property Art Plant Font

The red rectangle is where I relieved some of the material to make room for the safety on my 229 SAO

·
Registered
526 Posts
OP, when the P229 was mine I purchased a IWB holster from Don Hume thinking I would carry it. I didn't want to carry all the weight all day long so I went a different direction. These two options will work depending on how you want to carry:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If you find a good source please let me know. I’m looking for 40/357 sig holster but mine is railed.
Hauki, I'm shopping for one too. I'm trying to find an OWB for a railed p229 with 40/357 Legacy slide. This thread is several months old and I'm wondering if you found something that works well out of the box. I'm open to either leather or kydex, but similar to @AzMaz I like a full slide shield. The Don Hume seems promising but likely molded for the 9mm legacy and not 40/357.

Font Gun accessory Liver Fashion accessory Metal

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Hauki, I'm shopping for one too. I'm trying to find an OWB for a railed p229 with 40/357 Legacy slide. This thread is several months old and I'm wondering if you found something that works well out of the box. I'm open to either leather or kydex, but similar to @AzMaz I like a full slide shield. The Don Hume seems promising but likely molded for the 9mm legacy and not 40/357.

View attachment 490215
My EDC is usually my Legion P229 357 and occasionally my Legacy P229 Nitron 357 and both fit perfectly with my Alien Gear Kydex (see below). I don’t think Legacy versus standard slide makes a difference.
Jeans Camouflage Textile Sleeve Military camouflage

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material
Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Everyday carry

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
My EDC is usually my Legion P229 357 and occasionally my Legacy P229 Nitron 357 and both fit perfectly with my Alien Gear Kydex (see below). I don’t think Legacy versus standard slide makes a difference.
View attachment 490228
View attachment 490229 View attachment 490230
View attachment 490227
With the padded back, that looks like a comfortable option. The molding for serrations look to be half height designed for the legacy slide, correct? I am not familiar with Alien Gear, but will take a look. (y)

·
Registered
865 Posts
With kydex, it might make a difference if the holster was made for a non-railed 229, and you tried to slide a railed model into it. Then again with the Alien Gear backing being non-kydex and "moldable" it might not even in that case.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
With the padded back, that looks like a comfortable option. The molding for serrations look to be half height designed for the legacy slide, correct? I am not familiar with Alien Gear, but will take a look. (y)
Very comfortable. These Alien Gear holsters are well known for their comfort. Personally, I’ve never encountered a Kydex holster that comes close. The other feature I like is how high it rides which provides better concealment.
When it comes to these holsters, rail versus non rail matters as does 357/40 versus 9mm slides but Legacy versus standard slide doesn’t matter.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts

View attachment 490215
A member had a Safariland 6378 kydex OWB that I got. I’m getting used to the locking retention before I carry it. My 229 rail 357/40 fits perfectly with minor adjustments. I will say that it is large to conceal. Happy thanksgiving!

·
Registered
172 Posts
A member had a Safariland 6378 kydex OWB that I got. I’m getting used to the locking retention before I carry it. My 229 rail 357/40 fits perfectly with minor adjustments. I will say that it is large to conceal. Happy thanksgiving!
Earlier this year I weighed 192 lbs, but in all the wrong places and almost every gun I carried printed. Very discouraging to say the least. Btw I’m 5’ 10””. To put this in better context I reside in South Florida so we’re talking only a T shirt/cargos or jeans if I’m lucky with the temps. Anyways over a strict 20 week period I lost the weight, actually 19 lbs at my lowest, tore it down and then started building it back up in the weight room. NOT an easy task! Now I can AIWB my P229 rail 9mm no problem. Believe it or not, being able to carry those classic Sigs, which are my all time favorites, is one of the motivators for me to stay in shape. It was a harsh reality at 56 yrs of age, but I’m glad I faced it and ultimately was triumphant. Now I’m thinking of buying a IWB holster for my P226 rail 9mm but she’s a beast. Talk about setting high goals!

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
View attachment 490228
View attachment 490229 View attachment 490230
View attachment 490227
That molded in trigger shape, with the concave areas, gives me the Willies. The trigger having to clear that rearward concave area, caught my eye. I guess being able to ride the hammer when holstering, lessens the risk. 🤷‍♂️ BUT, I am always conscious of protecting the trigger, and the advent of all the after market triggers just makes it more so.

When EDC SOB IWB (doesn’t that mess of abbreviations look ridiculous???) I use a Nate Squared holster, that has the kydex mounted to the soft backing. After having used it for many years, I don’t even notice it. Of course, I’m carrying a PPS 40SW M1, so the size and weight are minimal. It actually serves as a lumbar support, when sitting my truck seat.👍

21 - 40 of 43 Posts