SIG Talk banner

Will holsters for the P229 fit both railed and older non-railed frames?

1815 42
As it says, i recently obtained an early 90s P229 with a German frame. Trying to order a holster for it. Does the non railed frame (as I have) fit holsters as well as the railed version? I mean retention holsters as well as leather holsters. Or do I have to search for particular holsters for it?

thanks to a great community!
Reactions: hauki
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
As it says, i recently obtained an early 90s P229 with a German frame. Trying to order a holster for it. Does the non railed frame (as I have) fit holsters as well as the railed version? I mean retention holsters as well as leather holsters. Or do I have to search for particular holsters for it?

Sorry,no.

·
Registered
23,653 Posts
Assuming your P229 is 9mm. Some holsters that are made for the P228, or that are listed as for "P228/P229 9mm" would probably work. It depends on the material used and how it is made. The first generation 9mm P229s were sufficiently close in dimensions to the P228, that many holsters listed for a P228 will fit. But keep in mind that the P228 and P229 slides had different shapes and could result in some P228 holsters not working.

The P229s in .40S&W and .357SIG have wider slides and require a different holster.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,074 Posts
P229s are the hardest to fit, into holsters.

As mentioned already, slide profiles between Legacy Slides, even their differences between 9mm, and .357/.40 Slides in dimensions, and the later Long Extractor Slides with full height rear serrations create problems.

Then just due to the length/profile of the Trigger Guards, between those with, and without accessory rails, due to length of their dust covers, also create a poor fit.

Tool Nickel Metal Font Auto part

·
15,074 Posts
In most cases, going from the major companies, to insure later model P229s with long extractor slides, for a railed version, choose a "Legion" fit, if without a rail, choose a "M11A1" fit. Most choose the "Legacy" Slide profile, in their molding otherwise, from the appearance.

As bblr mentions, leather is a little forgiving, and you may need to stretch a bit, for best fit. Kydex on the other hand, needs to use the correct mold, to have an acceptable fit, that reduces wear, on the pistols finish.

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
I picked up this at the flea market a few years ago,10 bucks. At the time I did not have a P229, only use it for my mosquito at the range. After I got my 229 I tried it. no dice! Way too tight. I don't know about the dimensions of the 9 m m but it definitely does not work on my 40 / 357.
Luggage and bags Bag Wood Gas Tin

Material property Wood Tints and shades Gas Metal

·
Registered
2,685 Posts

If you find a good source please let me know. I’m looking for 40/357 sig holster but mine is railed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
FWIW I have a Alien Gear shapeshift 4.0 that I originally picked up for my 229 Legion. I carry my 91 vintage non railed P228 in it with no issues. As has been said I believe you can use a kydex holster for a railed gun in some instances with a non railed gun but not the other way around. Both of mine are 9mm so they are very similar but your mileage may vary depending on the particular holster and caliber of gun.

·
15,074 Posts
This is what I have for mine, depending on what you want.

Font Wood Auto part Personal protective equipment Gun accessory

Upper Left: Galco Concealable #CON250B, Upper Middle: Mitch Rosen #President Express, Upper Right: DeSantis Speed Scabbard #002bac7z0 also a thumb break model available, #001bac7z0

Lower Left: Galco Fletch #FL250, Lower Right: Galco Fletch #FL250B

The Galco holsters will fit both Frame styles, and Slide styles, the DeSantis will fit both Slide styles only. The Mitch Rosen will also fit both Slide styles only as well.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
This is what I have for mine, depending on what you want.

Upper Left: Galco Concealable #CON250B, Upper Middle: Mitch Rosen #President Express, Upper Right: DeSantis Speed Scabbard #002bac7z0 also a thumb break model available, #001bac7z0

Lower Left: Galco Fletch #FL250, Lower Right: Galco Fletch #FL250B

The Galco holsters will fit both Frame styles, and Slide styles, the DeSantis will fit both Slide styles only. The Mitch Rosen will also fit both Slide styles only as well.
I like the open top better than the thumb break. Which of the 3 on top seem to be the better quality? Keeps the mouth open for re-holstering. Just by looking at them the Mitch Roosen looks the easiest to draw and re-holster.

·
15,074 Posts
I like the open top better than the thumb break. Which of the 3 on top seem to be the better quality? Keeps the mouth open for re-holstering. Just by looking at them the Mitch Roosen looks the easiest to draw and re-holster.
The difference between the Mitch Rosen President Express, and Galco Concealable are minimal. The Mitch Rosen runs 3/4 the cost of the Galco, and while possibly in stock, could be a 3-4 week wait, while the Galco being stocked by so many retailers, may be quicker to acquire. Both the Mitch Rosen and Galco are thicker leather and the mouths stay open, while the DeSantis being more of a "pancake" style will close somewhat when the pistol is drawn. Likely by design, as both the Mitch Rosen, and Galco use a flat back section of leather attached to the belt, and the outside section of leather, being molded to hold the pistol, with the butt toward the body.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts