SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to this ongoing ammo crisis, I've been considering picking up at least one defensive handgun chambered for something other than 9mm. I was considering .357 SIG, since during the worst of the shortage, I stopped into a local store and saw that .357 SIG was the only centerfire pistol cartridge they had.

I'm also married to the 1911 manual of arms, so that's another requirement. I was considering one of Sig's 1911s in .357, which I knew were pretty easy to come by a few years ago, but now I see that they've been removed from the product lineup, along with basically every other gun Sig offered in that caliber. Are we not going to see any new .357 models in the future? Is the platform basically dead?

And if yes, does anyone know of any other 1911-esque handguns chambered in a functional but uncommon caliber?

馃帠USAF Retired
I had to build a P320 in .357 SIG by pieces; SIG isn't manufacturing them as complete firearms, and I believe Glock is the only other firearms manufacturer offering .357 SIG as a cataloged caliber (S&W is no longer offering the M&P in .357 SIG). Ammo manufacturers are still producing .357 SIG and I've been able to find it on-line and in stores at reasonable prices, but it will probably remain a niche or hobby caliber.

Unless you can find a custom barrel maker (such as Bar-Sto), you're probably not going to see a .357 SIG 1911, except for those SIG 1911s that were produced earlier. Kind of like the same thing that happened with the .38 Super, another medium sized niche/hobby caliber.

Registered
357 Sig was never a super popular round even back in the good old days (2016-2020) so it never be extremely popular. If ammo supply and demand returns to normal levels, manufacturers will be able ease off 9mm production and can produce more 357/40/45. 357 Sig is one of my favorite rounds and along with 9mm my go to EDC. I buy 357 FMJ when I encounter it and have enough 357 Gold Dot defense rounds to last me at least a decade so I will continue carrying it. If you like 357 hunt down a Sig 1911. If your patient and hunt, you will find one.

Resident Armorer Premium Member
tommyh, while I have 3 different Sigs chambered in it, P226, P229, and P239, unless there is an extremely large order by a government agency, to entice Sig to retool for the calibers, .357 Sig, or .40 S&W, it's doubtful. Since there are several thousand pistols of different make and model out there, ammunition will be made, but again, where it ranks as per priority of manufacture, will depend on actual sales.

Registered
Thanks to this ongoing ammo crisis, I've been considering picking up at least one defensive handgun chambered for something other than 9mm. I was considering .357 SIG, since during the worst of the shortage, I stopped into a local store and saw that .357 SIG was the only centerfire pistol cartridge they had.

I'm also married to the 1911 manual of arms, so that's another requirement. I was considering one of Sig's 1911s in .357, which I knew were pretty easy to come by a few years ago, but now I see that they've been removed from the product lineup, along with basically every other gun Sig offered in that caliber. Are we not going to see any new .357 models in the future? Is the platform basically dead?

And if yes, does anyone know of any other 1911-esque handguns chambered in a functional but uncommon caliber?
I Seriously doubt that Sig will come back with any. Tou are lucky to find ammo in 357Sigin Your area. I have six Sig pistolsin or have a 357Sig barrel for.I've always had trouble finding 357Sig ammo locally. I've only been able to find that ammo in bulk at the online ammo stores. I purchased My first one in 357Sig in march 2015. I've even been told by My local Shops that They've never kept it in quantity.

Registered
It will continue to live on way out on the outskirts of the city of Mainstream where good calibers go to live if they were not fortunate enough (or marketed well enough) to gain sufficient acceptance within the military, or LE, never was prominent in a video game or common in movies or TV to attract a big herd of sheep. Lots of good rounds that ARE that fortunate, but some that just don't get there... like 38 super, 41 mag, 327 mag, 25-06, 357 SIG, and others. There are a few like 10mm that just can't decide where they want to settle down. :)

馃帠USAF Veteran Premium Member
P226 Legion LE, P229 Legion LE, P229, P220, P224, P320 X-Vtac, P320 X-Carry Pro, CZ TSO, CZ SP-01
The great thing about a 357 sig pistol is for 150 bucks or so, you also have a 40 S&W pistol. And for another 150 it can also be a 9mm. I have two pistols (P229 and S&W M&P) that are 357, 40, and 9mm with a barrel swap.

Registered
I wish it would, but as others have said unless police or Federal agencies start requesting that caliber in large quantities I would say not. But if anyone from Sig is reading this, I would love to have a 365 pistol chambered in 357 Sig.
Even a conversion kit would be fine with me.

Registered
P220 P229 P320
Well, since the idiot in the WH is after 9mm, you guys might see a resurgance in the 357sig caliber. After all it is the dreaded 9mm that everybody is afraid of, and 357sig is not mentioned. Little do they know.
Ya, don鈥檛 play around w/ those 9mm, they鈥檒l rip your lungs out. 馃檮馃檮馃檮
I don鈥檛 see the dodo bird action going on for the 357. The prices for pistols in 357 on GB are still pretty steady. I can鈥檛 believe that people are buying them and retrofitting them w/ 9mm.
Personally I genuinely like the round and chose it for my carry round. I just don鈥檛 blow the range ammo budget on it, the 40 ammo is cheaper.

Registered
Well, since the idiot in the WH is after 9mm, you guys might see a resurgance in the 357sig caliber. After all it is the dreaded 9mm that everybody is afraid of, and 357sig is not mentioned. Little do they know.
We already have the 38 Super... so we can always just rename 9mm to 38 Mediocre.

馃帠USAF Veteran
Ya, don鈥檛 play around w/ those 9mm, they鈥檒l rip your lungs out. 馃檮馃檮馃檮
I don鈥檛 see the dodo bird action going on for the 357. The prices for pistols in 357 on GB are still pretty steady. I can鈥檛 believe that people are buying them and retrofitting them w/ 9mm.
Personally I genuinely like the round and chose it for my carry round. I just don鈥檛 blow the range ammo budget on it, the 40 ammo is cheaper.
I actually load for it, so it is just as cheap as 9mm to reload. I love the caliber.

Registered
I鈥檝e been considering the same. I鈥檝e been searching but they are hard to find. Don鈥檛 even think about a 229 legion in .357! A true needle in a haystack.

I agree with AZMAZ and Oldrider. I too assembled a 320 for .357 Sig in the carry size and it performs similar to my 229-.357 Sig. As for 1911鈥檚, 38 super is one of the best rounds for that platform.
I鈥檓 considering this as well but want a manual safety as well.

Let鈥檚 see it! All I鈥檓 seeing is compact while I prefer a midsize like my m18.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts