SIG Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a p238 less than a month ago from BassProShops - Before I put the 400 rds through it, it averaged on my Lyman less than 6lbs. Now, after approx 400 rounds, it averages less than 5 lbs. Also, after the first 100 rounds, the gun stopped having the few FTF it had before.

Has anyone else bought a p238 one recently with a trigger pull around or less than 5 pounds?

I see on parts websites that there is a Gen 3 sear... maybe I have that?

I know my scale is accurate, as my other guns all are in the expected range.

edit: typos

·
Registered
444 Posts
Count your blessings!

My three P238's register right about 7 pounds, when new and after being used for some time. That amazed me when I tested them because the triggers are SOoooo smooth that they do not feel like 7 pounds at all.

I can switch from an M&P Shield EZ to one of my P238's and don't notice a difference in the trigger pull, and the EZ has around a 5 to 5.5 pound trigger. And normally I would definitely notice a 2 pound difference in trigger pull.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome!

So wow ok, guess I just lucked out - very cool!

Was the price for $550 decent? It's my first SIG, I always wanted a pocket 380 with a decent trigger (LCP II trigger is only meh). I really like the limited "Campaign Series" p238 I got from BassPro; and really like the Ambidextrous safety and medallion grips. I now carry it when I can't carry my Bersa Tpr9c - I prefer SA or DA/SA so I plan on buying more traditional DA/SA Sigs in the near future (if still legal to, lol).

Here's my two current EDC:

one more of the purty P238 Campaign Series:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yes, $550 for any model of P238 is VERY decent - especially now!

I used to have a Bersa BP380cc and it was accurate and totally reliable and non ammo picky. Unfortunately due to arthritis and other hand damage, I couldn't rack the slide anymore without use a HandiRacker. And I couldn't field strip it by myself and hubby cussed a lot when he had to try to line up those barefly seen "scratch marks" for disassembly and reassembly. So it got traded in for a Shield EZ shortly after they came out. The Bersa was a better gun, but the Shield is EZ to use and its only a range toy anyway.

I carry one of my P238's 24/7. In the winter I carry it OWB in leather, but might have to go back to Kydex IWB in the summer. We shall see.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Welcome from Oregon and I have to agree on the price... I paid like 500 for mine 5 yrs ago and it isn’t as fancy as yours.. a gal friend of mine paid 6 something for a rainbow one 5 yrs ago... enjoy

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,004 Posts
Welcome from Georgia.

Reactions: MidwestJoe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So to follow up, has no one heard of this being the case on a new p238 before?? I honestly worry somethings defective/wrong if I am the only one with a new p238 whos trigger's gauging in at less tham 5lbs with only 400 rounds through the gun.

Should I be worried? ...it works fine for now at least.

Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My "bought new" Nov 2018 build Legion P238 pulls between 6# and 4.5# depending on where I put the gauge roller on the trigger. My finger can't tell the difference and is happy. My Rosewood 2016 build has a lighter pull, and the finger notices this. I bought the Rosewood used and it has fired maybe 2000 rounds vs < 400 in the Legion.

The pull is so short and smooth that 8#s would make little difference to me, though I prefer 4-5#s

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you, I feel reassured now. I too, if I pull the gauge at an angle (especially at a very sharp angle at the top of the trigger), can get close to 6lbs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
EDIT: Should I make a seperste thread about this? I find the subject fascinating and others may want to know.

I forgot to mention I did do one thing that may have made the trigger-pull lighter...

When I first got the p238, and it's trigger-weight was closer to 6 pounds, I felt it was a little too heavy. So I tried something I theorized would help, before ever takong the gun to the shooting range. I'm hesitant to say that what I tried made any difference at all though though - as the trigger-gauge showed no discernible difference after trying my break-in techniques. As such, I intially discounted using my break-in techniques as a fruitless endeavor... However, based on how quickly & greatly the trigger-weight decreased, I now wonder maybe it did help - maybe the effects were not immediate, but instead theyaccelerated the weakening of the trigger-spring and sear from actually firing the weapon?

I find that doubtful, but just in case, here is what I tried:

----------------------------------------------

My theory was that the following actions might weaken the spring and sear resistance. These might actually work if repeated thousands and thousands of times, but who knows...

1. My first technique was just aimed at weakening the trigger-spring, and involved me sitting with the gun fully-cocked with the safety engaged. Then I fully compressed the trigger, repeatedly and rapidly, for a minute or two at a time while I sat watching TV - in hopes to weaken the trigger-spring's resistance.
  2. My second odea was aimedat lowering the reistance needed to free the sear & release the hammer. I would repeatedly cock the hammer and dry fire the gun into a snap cap - basically not stopping for an entire episode on Netflix - hoping that doing this would would lower the resistance for the trigger break or wall.

Buy after doing these two things as described, the trigger did not gauge any different than before I tried these break-in procedures!

----------------------------------------------

I only noticed (and subsequently measured) that the trigger-pull was lighter after putting approximately 100 rounds through it at my girst trip to the range (which I tried before ever firing the gun)...

The trigger-pull was indeed a full pound lighter after firing a mere 100 rounds.

I suppose it is possible that my break-in techniques accelerated the weakening of the trigger's resistance when fired.

It's worth mentioning that I've done this on other guns in the past, but they never showed any change in trigger-weight even after gauging the trigger following its next range session.

Also of importance is that, the change in my trigger weight happened after the first time taking it to the range - and as such, the change in trigger-weight very likely may have happened completely on its own without the break-in techniques.

I am curious what you all think made the weight go down by 1 full pounds - was it just from firing, or did those break-in techniques make a difference, but only after firing the gun?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts