SIG Talk banner
141 - 160 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have only had to do a sweep in our house twice. Once back around 1995, I for sure heard the noise in my sleep. My weapon of choice, USMC Kabar! As I made my way through the connecting bathroom. Out comes my wife walking from the kitchen back to the bedroom. She never knew the Karbar was in my hand. Now magnify that, and pretend I had my pistol in my hand with a flash light in her face.

Second time was actually this year, I could hear the banging and thudding sounds upstairs. Number one, if you are in a safe spot, and don't have to go get your kids in another part of the house call 911, and stay secure and protected in your safe area. However, me I made a fast sweep, but slowly up the stairs. Opened the door to the kitchen area slowly. The noise was coming from the outside door area of the four season porch. It's dark where I live. I did raise my pistol at the door, and at whatever was on the other side. Flashlight switched on to blind and identify whatever it was..... Well it was a possum. Dang... ugly. but I made a louder noise and chased it off.

There are valid arguments when personal choice might be to turn on a pistol light for identification, including the enhanced risk. However, the fact is you are pointing a weapon at someone or something. Rule of thumb should be not to point/raise a firearm unless you plan or are prepared to shoot. As I listen to my own argument, what could I have done differently verses raise a loaded firearm at whatever was at my door on my deck. It was in my grill the possum was in btw. I could have turned the light on, or wait for it to come through door, then I'd have reason to raise the weapon.

So taking all the above conversations and opinions. I believe I actually see things differently now. Yes, I will still have a light/laser on my pistol, and my AR pistol. However, maybe motion activated lights, or night lights. Btw, the deck does have motion sensing lights, I didn't have the switch on because it bugs my wife. The rabbits run by and it activates too often.

Great topic. Short answer, yes I do. Are there other things to consider versus having to 100% to rely on that option or alternatives? We shall see. We shall learn.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have only had to do a sweep in our house twice. Once back around 1995, I for sure heard the noise in my sleep. My weapon of choice, USMC Kabar! As I made my way through the connecting bathroom. Out comes my wife walking from the kitchen back to the bedroom. She never knew the Karbar was in my hand. Now magnify that, and pretend I had my pistol in my hand with a flash light in her face.

Second time was actually this year, I could hear the banging and thudding sounds upstairs. Number one, if you are in a safe spot, and don't have to go get your kids in another part of the house call 911, and stay secure and protected in your safe area. However, me I made a fast sweep, but slowly up the stairs. Opened the door to the kitchen area slowly. The noise was coming from the outside door area of the four season porch. It's dark where I live. I did raise my pistol at the door, and at whatever was on the other side. Flashlight switched on to blind and identify whatever it was..... Well it was a possum. Dang... ugly. but I made a louder noise and chased it off.

There are valid arguments when personal choice might be to turn on a pistol light for identification, including the enhanced risk. However, the fact is you are pointing a weapon at someone or something. Rule of thumb should be not to point/raise a firearm unless you plan or are prepared to shoot. As I listen to my own argument, what could I have done differently verses raise a loaded firearm at whatever was at my door on my deck. It was in my grill the possum was in btw. I could have turned the light on, or wait for it to come through door, then I'd have reason to raise the weapon.

So taking all the above conversations and opinions. I believe I actually see things differently now. Yes, I will still have a light/laser on my pistol, and my AR pistol. However, maybe motion activated lights, or night lights. Btw, the deck does have motion sensing lights, I didn't have the switch on because it bugs my wife. The rabbits run by and it activates too often.

Great topic. Short answer, yes I do. Are there other things to consider versus having to 100% to rely on that option or alternatives? We shall see. We shall learn.
In your particular situations you lucked out. If your wife or the possum had been an armed threat this thread may be quite different. The ole don’t come to gun fight with a knife (even a Kabar) will always hold true.

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,426 Posts
As long as you weren't low crawling with it between your teeth I guess it was ok 😂 You jarheads have certain tendencies;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
A laser yes, it helps aim, but a light?
You go hunting in the dark for a bad guy with a gun he's going to use your fancy gun light for an aiming point.
Imho you'd be better off equipping with Trijicon type sights for a home defensive situation.
Have a CQB plan in place before the manure hits the fan.
With a family, I kind of wish to see who I am shooting. Besides you must live in a pretty large house to need a red dot to hit center mass.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Of course a light works both ways.
If someone is in my house I’m not sure I want to go hunting for them and their friends.
But if me and Mr. Beretta 1301 tactical have to go together a light would be nice.
Or you could just have a clapper. Clap on. Clap off. The clapper! No but seriously if my wife is in bed and nobody knocked or rang the doorbell and I hear someone then they have broken in and I'm going to shoot them before they kill us in our sleep. So if I feel comfortable with my handgun be it a Sig P226 357sig or a Smith and Wesson 357 magnum in one hand or I can muster holding my autoloading shotgun with both hands while I systematically cut on the lights then any movement I sense or I see someone in the dark at least as well as they see me then it's a gun fight unless they have a knife or baseball bat but there's a reason Navy SEALs don't have lights on their guns. Because it's called being stealthy. If I can turn on a light and see them that's even better. I don't have to shoot someone in the dark but I'm not putting a target on myself. Or since it's the future just have Alexa turn on all the lights!

·
Registered
127 Posts
In your particular situations you lucked out. If your wife or the possum had been an armed threat this thread may be quite different. The ole don’t come to gun fight with a knife (even a Kabar) will always hold true.
I totally disagree. But opinions are like A-holes.. everyone has one. But some don't know why Diarrhea is squirting out theirs.. but it's all good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Depends on what you are using the gun for and depends on your personality. I have pointed my WML at a few would be asshats, in the middle of the night and the usual response is they **** themselves and stop. I accompany the effects of my WML with stern voice commands.

If you are looking to shoot an intruder go ahead stand your ground without a light. Depending on the state they will probably find a reason to incarcerate you. However if you are looking to deter and de-escalate use a WML frighten them into compliance and only the bad guy is going to jail.

Another benefit of a WML is for people with bad eyes and the frail. The WML be easier to adjust to coming out of a REM sleep than turning on the lights by far. For real bad eyes the light cone presents an easy point and shoot ability. The blinding effect a WML has on a target suspect removes the opportunity for them to size you up. If you are small, elderly or otherwise generally a non-imposing person a WML will prevent a suspect from sizing you up. Attacking into the unknown with a bright light in your face is daunting, it will deter most perps.

·
Registered
P365XL with Holosun 507K, P320C
16 Posts
A light on the weapon isn't a bad thing, just be careful pointing it around at the gas station when you check the oil. Inside the home, you are likely to muzzle family and friends - literally point a loaded weapon at them. Sociologically this is considered to be the use of lethal force. Are they a threat?

Things like this are why a weapon light becomes an expensive dedicated accessory with very limited use. If you are SERT, go for it.

A clipped light you can handle separately from the gun will likely get used 10x as much during the day.

Choose wisely.
The best choice is which light to use in the moment. This should be a both/and discussion, not an either/or discussion.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You go hunting in the dark for a bad guy with a gun he's going to use your fancy gun light for an aiming point.
Imho you'd be better off equipping with Trijicon type sights for a home defensive situation.
I agree with everything you just said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So you don't identify your target before you shoot?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I guess it depends on how you were trained. I was trained to use a light to identify the "target". If the "target" turns out to be your spouse or child, and you're using a WML, you are pointing your gun at a family member. I was trained that this is a mortal sin; violates one of the cardinal "rules".
So, when needed, I carry my flashlight in my weak hand and my pistol in my strong hand.
If we're talking LEO or military, it's a different discussion.
So when I was trained, if your firearm is out and your light is out they point in the same direction. Doesn't matter if it is a weapon mounted light or a light in your weak hand, where one points the other points. The more important cardinal sin that gets missed by not using a light is failing to identify your target. When it comes to weapon mounted lights:
1. Two hands on a firearm always equals better stability and control for anyone.
2. The average home body does not practice single handed firearms manipulation or shooting.
3. The average home body is not trained for high stress so 2 hands on the gun is better.
4. Weapon mounted lights allow a hand to be removed from the firearm to manipulate items in the environment.
5. While some believe the light is a beacon for where to shoot, due to the short distances involved in a home and the stunningly bright light put out by LED lights today accurately shooting at a WML is a much more difficult that most people realize.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have WMLs on several of my firearms. Like others who have responded I was LEO about 20 yrs ago. We were taught how to properly use a WML. You don’t just turn it on and run around your house. Find a reputable firearms instructor and learn the proper way.
As for WHY, it’s all about target identification and acquisition. You don’t want to shoot the wrong person. IE your teenage kid sneaking back in the house or a loved one coming home late. Or hell, some poor soul who accidentally entered the wrong house because they worked a double and are just exhausted. Our US lawshield rep know of a case where a lady threatened to “kill” her neighbor because he walked onto her house. They live in one of those neighborhoods were all the houses are the same…

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not military or law enforcement anymore so I will speak only to how the subject pertains to me. I have Streamlight TLR-2G on a 10mm carbine for home defense. Do I need a weapon light? Not really because if someone is trying to get in my house or is in my house I'm turning the lights on as I move from room to room. The only time I would need a flashlight attached to a weapon or not is if the power went out or to find the light switch faster.
When a crack head attempted to break in our back door at 4am, the first thing he did was flip the main power breaker off. Luckily, he was unable to make entry. He had just previously attempted to break into a couple of different neighbors homes and the local LEO ‘s arrived. He ran away. I secured my P226 w/ wml and spoke to the officers. He was later caught riding a bicycle. I put a lock on the breaker box.

·
Premium Member
12,833 Posts
Also as I mentioned before...whether your light is on your gun, or held out by your other hand, you're pretty much in the same danger of being shot at anyway because what if he misses your held out light by a foot under duress? Or what if he shoots your arm...are you going to just shake it off and stay in the fight?

You understand and accept that risk if you use a light because hopefully it's outweighed by the tactical/situational advantage it gives you. So be it weapon mounted or held separately...either you choose to use a light or don't. If you don't, hopefully you see and identify them better than they see you in the dark. Because frankly, in say the confines of a home/room/halls, I don't think an armed intruder will have any more difficulty or hesitation spraying bullets at the voice that says 'who are you, get the hell out!' in the dark than if it's accompanied by a blinding light, if they're so inclined to shoot the moment they're alerted.

If they're going to shoot, they're going to shoot light or no light. Just like the ones who will run from a light will also run from a 'Get out...!' in the dark. So what will that light do or not do for you?

Reactions: AzMaz

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Also as I mentioned before...whether your light is on your gun, or held out by your other hand, you're pretty much in the same danger of being shot at anyway because what if he misses your held out light by a foot under duress? Or what if he shoots your arm...are you going to just shake it off and stay in the fight?

You understand and accept that risk if you use a light because hopefully it's outweighed by the tactical/situational advantage it gives you. So be it weapon mounted or held separately...either you choose to use a light or don't. If you don't, hopefully you see and identify them better than they see you in the dark. Because frankly, in say the confines of a home/room/halls, I don't think an armed intruder will have any more difficulty or hesitation spraying bullets at the voice that says 'who are you, get the hell out!' in the dark than if it's accompanied by a blinding light, if they're so inclined to shoot the moment they're alerted.

If they're going to shoot, they're going to shoot light or no light. Just like the ones who will run from a light will also run from a 'Get out...!' in the dark. So what will that light do or not do for you?
Good points Mo. Before even beginning to debate WML or not, situational awareness must be factored in. If there was a loud noise in my home at 3am waking me up I am immediately determining whether my wife is still in bed with me or not. There is no way I find myself drawing down on her in the kitchen. Our only daughter is well versed on why there should never be any unannounced visits from college at 3am. Having said this, while I’m not going to spotlight myself for a threat through light, or verbally, I will do all that is possible to identify the threat before firing on it. In my case it’s probably moot because my K9 Nellie would clear the zone ahead of me. Unfortunately often times these situations aren’t black and white or perfectly clear although odds are that if someone is making forced entry into your home at 3am it isn’t the neighbor wanting to borrow a cup of sugar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think many do it because they saw it on TV. But why not try to avoid any encounter? Wouldn't it be smarter to use some kind of movement sensor light system with cameras and warning the potential burglar of the system, then a kind of alarm system if there is an intrusion? If this for some reason doesn't work, you could call the police and with a loud voice declare that you did, so that the chances increase to move any encounter outside for others to deal with. Defending your home with a gun is one thing, but in my opinion, there can't be too many countermeasures tried before having to resort to gunfire.

·
Premium Member
12,833 Posts
Good points Mo. Before even beginning to debate WML or not, situational awareness must be factored in. If there was a loud noise in my home at 3am waking me up I am immediately determining whether my wife is still in bed with me or not. There is no way I find myself drawing down on her in the kitchen. Our only daughter is well versed on why there should never be any unannounced visits from college at 3am. Having said this, while I’m not going to spotlight myself for a threat through light, or verbally, I will do all that is possible to identify the threat before firing on it. In my case it’s probably moot because my K9 Nellie would clear the zone ahead of me. Unfortunately often times these situations aren’t black and white or perfectly clear although odds are that if someone is making forced entry into your home at 3am it isn’t the neighbor wanting to borrow a cup of sugar.
Yeah so one way or another, once you've made your presence known they're either going to attack or flee...light or no light. So as you said, the situation will dictate whether you need any sort of light, and for me I'd at least like to have it and not need it than the other way around.

As I linked before, there was a situation where I purposely DID NOT use my weapon mounted light for tactical reasons. Thankfully it turned out not to be what I feared but still.

141 - 160 of 200 Posts