SIG Talk banner
181 - 200 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
A light on a pistol is all the rage on the Reddit forums. Someone will post. “My first gun. What light should I get?”
It’s almost become a fashion item on Reddit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
220 Posts
A light on a pistol is all the rage on the Reddit forums. Someone will post. “My first gun. What light should I get?”
It’s almost become a fashion item on Reddit.

I see no fault for having a WML in certain circumstances but you are correct about Reddit. It is full of millennials living in basements completely out of touch of reality. The only time I spend on Reddit is scrolling through memes to get some endorphins.

·
🎖USA Retired
48 Posts
I have a wml on the weapon next to my bed, (which is also my carry). I also have a high power flishlight; the tail button is full brightness and the main button is variable set to dim. This discussion has me considering another flash light next to the safe if I’m grabbing a weapon from there.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
i would put a light on a pistol in some photography situations, depending on existing light, composition, intent...
recently i put a light on a rifle and a pistol, and both had wmls mounted on them, lol.
why? because i am operator af. 🤣

Tripod Flash photography Tints and shades Microphone stand Camera accessory

·
Registered
I ❤ SIGs
88 Posts
A light on your handgun allows you to POSITIVELY IDENTIFY targets in low light before firing them up....

And as several people have said, it's a personal choice. I can say, "Alexa, turn on everything." and my whole house lights up, to include the lights outside. But, what if the power is out? I have flashlights stored with my defensive guns, but my primary home protection gun has a Streamlight mounted on it. Just in case. Better to have it, and not need it, than need it, and not have it.
So the "POSITIVELY IDENTIFY" causes me to elaborate.

That's so true and that's the #1 reason but there are limits.

Back in the mid 80s I was training with the SAS .... well, it was 82-85 off-and-on in Redesdale and Otterburn, sometimes in Ireland, just depended .... but they had a really strict rule about using lights in darkness. And they ALWAYS made things dark before they moved.

You ID'd your target(s) before turning the lights off and switching-on your super powers. Usually that meant surveillance of some kind, prior to action ... but not always. Point being is civilians rarely have that luxury. I do, I have 22 cameras on my property inside and out, closed and open, and a safe room for my wife and kids and grandkids ... most do not. But even with survelance to ID a target before going into action the fast and hard rule is one second splits between painting the target with light or laser and pulling the trigger. We did it 1000s of times. I couldn't do it now. It takes so much practice.

There was a movie back then that we must have went into Newcastle to see a half dozen times .... He Who Dares, Wins. I think the American title was The Final Option. It starred Judy Davis, whom everyone would recognize, but also Lewis Collins whom should have gotten the James Bond role after Roger Moore. It was very realistic. Highly recommended you should see it. There is a scene where, hostage rescue, where they flick the lights out and the shot is made .... very very realistic how it is supposed to go-down and be-done. We all loved that movie. Took my first wife (British gal) to see that movie while I was rehabbing from an injury and she was my nurse in Newcastle ... that's how we met. This thread makes me want to see that movie again. Worth seeing, trust me. Especially the build-up to the final 20 minutes when it all goes down.

Lights are good, super powers are better provided they are Gen III or better and not cheap Chinese stuff prior to 2019.

ETA: I seriously doubt most B&E responses by average citizens are going to last long enough to even begin to warrant all of this ... but why not prepare anyway? I highly recommend starting with Geeni cameras and then adding Ring and SimpliSafe systems in layers. Three systems and cloud coverage for less than an MCX. And the safe room ... you can do it easier than you think including video coverage from within, emergency exits and other important features. The time is coming where this will be important and everything happens for a reason.

·
Registered
645 Posts
A laser yes, it helps aim, but a light?
You go hunting in the dark for a bad guy with a gun he's going to use your fancy gun light for an aiming point.
Imho you'd be better off equipping with Trijicon type sights for a home defensive situation.
Have a CQB plan in place before the manure hits the fan.
Well, when I take out the trash and it's dark I have to see where I'm going. Try and picture this. Trash in one hand and a gun in the other.
I don't have another hand for the flashlight so it's on the gun for good reasons that have been already stated.
Why don't I just carry a flashlight in the trash hand you ask? I would probably accidentally throw it away with the trash then I would have to dig it out. I don't want my neighbors to see me digging around in the trash.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Premium Member
12,833 Posts
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned, and this became apparent for me last night during a low-light IDPA shoot with carry guns....depending on the ammo you shoot, particularly the powder...a weapon-mounted light could become a problem when shooting with it on because with a lot of smoke it just turns into a bright wall of fog that can obscure your view almost completely.

None of us as far as I know were shooting defensive ammo, but for me it was just plain Blazer Brass which I haven't noticed tote very smokey/blasty when firing out of my CZ Shadow or long-slide. But shooting it out of my P320X Compact, I got a lot of blast and smoke and the light again just made a wall of fog right in front of me, pretty much cutting off whatever was downrange from view...and most important;y, from identification. Ended up shooting without it as there was at least some slight light to make out targets. Other guys who handlload didn't have as much smoke. I'm thinking with defensive rounds that can be loaded pretty hot, this could be an issue.

So even though I've been a proponent of weapon lights for target ID and ease of use, there are a host of concerns that arise under use. Maybe if they come out with a 'fog light' version.

Also have done low-light PCC shoots and it's usually not bad, so obviously length of barrel with have a lot to do with it, how much powder burnt, etc. I would think that something with a suppressor, for example, would be less of a concern, and consequently even more helpful in a low-light CQB tactical situation beyond just the blast/concussion.

·
Registered
637 Posts
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned, and this became apparent for me last night during a low-light IDPA shoot with carry guns....depending on the ammo you shoot, particularly the powder...a weapon-mounted light could become a problem when shooting with it on because with a lot of smoke it just turns into a bright wall of fog that can obscure your view almost completely.

None of us as far as I know were shooting defensive ammo, but for me it was just plain Blazer Brass which I haven't noticed tote very smokey/blasty when firing out of my CZ Shadow or long-slide. But shooting it out of my P320X Compact, I got a lot of blast and smoke and the light again just made a wall of fog right in front of me, pretty much cutting off whatever was downrange from view...and most important;y, from identification. Ended up shooting without it as there was at least some slight light to make out targets. Other guys who handlload didn't have as much smoke. I'm thinking with defensive rounds that can be loaded pretty hot, this could be an issue.

So even though I've been a proponent of weapon lights for target ID and ease of use, there are a host of concerns that arise under use.
Good point, I’ve noticed the same thing.

·
Premium Member
12,833 Posts
Good for getting the first shot off, but after that it's rather disconcerting.

So I guess the main thing is to practice with the light and your intended defensive ammo to see what the smoke is like.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Well, when I take out the trash and it's dark I have to see where I'm going. Try and picture this. Trash in one hand and a gun in the other.
I don't have another hand for the flashlight so it's on the gun for good reasons that have been already stated.
Why don't I just carry a flashlight in the trash hand you ask? I would probably accidentally throw it away with the trash then I would have to dig it out. I don't want my neighbors to see me digging around in the trash.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Better solution: Ring Motion Spotlight. Not only illuminates the area upon motion but records so you’ll know if there is threat before even leaving your house. Love mine.

·
🎖USA Veteran
33 Posts
A light will make me easier to spot. It announces my presence, but it can also temporarily blind a potential assailant. I don't like lasers because it's going to take possibly critical time to line up the shot. I have 3 personal protection pieces and none have a red dot, a laser, or a light. Point and squeeze. Split seconds are critical. Jmho.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Would you have wanted a light on your pistol at that moment? Genuinely curious because this is a very plausible scenario. If so, how would you have used it? Turn it on while having the muzzle at the low ready?

Light on and muzzle at the low ready is exactly how I would have used a pistol mounted light. The spill of the light would be more than enough to illuminate whoever was in the tub.

·
Premium Member
12,833 Posts
In terms of 'giving away your position', I think that pretty much anything will unless you just lay there silent, and if the intruder is armed and wishes to use it on you...whether they see a light or not, they're probably going to spray away in the general direction, or just randomly. Any type of armed confrontation inside one's home is probably going to be very messy and chaotic any way you look at it, and if he gets the jump on you you're dead anyway. So the way I look at it is unless they're experts at defeating security and locks/chains silently, I'm going to be woken up and I'll have maybe a few seconds to act. Being armed at least gives me a better chance of survival especially if they're armed. And my having a light at least gives me a tactical advantage of positive ID and location, even if momentary (heck, he might have a light too). Because the instant that the intruder knows I'm there...if he's armed it's all going to hell unless he turns tail and skiddadles.

I live alone too, so again it's not like I'll be shining my light on a second cousin twice removed who suddenly decided to sneak an unannounced visit. No-one else has the keys to my house.

Reactions: originalBB

·
Registered
2 Posts
A light will make me easier to spot. It announces my presence, but it can also temporarily blind a potential assailant. I don't like lasers because it's going to take possibly critical time to line up the shot. I have 3 personal protection pieces and none have a red dot, a laser, or a light. Point and squeeze. Split seconds are critical. Jmho.

181 - 200 of 201 Posts