SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A laser yes, it helps aim, but a light?
You go hunting in the dark for a bad guy with a gun he's going to use your fancy gun light for an aiming point.
Imho you'd be better off equipping with Trijicon type sights for a home defensive situation.
Have a CQB plan in place before the manure hits the fan.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course a light works both ways.
If someone is in my house I’m not sure I want to go hunting for them and their friends.
But if me and Mr. Beretta 1301 tactical have to go together a light would be nice.
My thought is they're on my turf if its a break in, they have to come to me. I put a few little low wattage automatic nite lights in the house, the wife said just turn on the lights. I told her that they weren't for us but more so to backlight a tango coming down the hall.

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
Old school, when I was a cop in the 70's, they taught us to hold the flashlight out at arms length while searching the building in the dark, gun in the strong hand. In 10 busy years in Oakland, not one Oakland cop had his light shot at. Now some departments have cops carrying weapon mounted lights. I use one for my nightstand with suppressor (either P229 or AR15 pistol). Both have the option to push button light on, so you don't have to sweep the house with light on continuously. In the one instance a bad guy tried to get into my house a few years back, he tripped our alarm and took off like a jack rabbit. By the time I had my gun in hand, he was crossing the neighbors yard heading north at a high rate of speed.

My EDC has a laser and green dot sight, no light, (though I always have an EDC light). If I was still a cop, I'd be two things, a weapon light carrying cop, and probably the oldest cop in the whole dang country.

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,426 Posts
Old school, when I was a cop in the 70's, they taught us to hold the flashlight out at arms length while searching the building in the dark, gun in the strong hand. In 10 busy years in Oakland, not one Oakland cop had his light shot at. Now some departments have cops carrying weapon mounted lights. I use one for my nightstand with suppressor (either P229 or AR15 pistol). Both have the option to push button light on, so you don't have to sweep the house with light on continuously. In the one instance a bad guy tried to get into my house a few years back, he tripped our alarm and took off like a jack rabbit. By the time I had my gun in hand, he was crossing the neighbors yard heading north at a high rate of speed.

My EDC has a laser and green dot sight, no light, (though I always have an EDC light). If I was still a cop, I'd be two things, a weapon light carrying cop, and probably the oldest cop in the whole dang country.
Did you shoot on horseback :ROFLMAO:

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,426 Posts
Tactically a weapon light sounds ideal. Our department issues them because its a thing. I would argue that a WL increases the likelihood of fighting over ones weapon, as most potential LF encounters do not result in a shooting, but the threat of LF which on the escalation de-escalation matrix is viable before having to result to its use. A flashlight low to ones side vs the old method of arm out is a viable and more practical alternative. One may ask why? Because if compliance in a darkened environment is the result. Then one would have to holster in order to cuff or search the now compliant suspect. Thereby negating ones lighting of the suspect and resulting in a darkened environment again with attenuating the safety provided by a lighted environment. However, using a handheld light allows for the light to remain focused on the suspect with the added ability to utilize the light itself as a pain compliance tool/weapon allowing one to holster and secure their firearm. This would reduce the likelihood of the potential struggle for ones own weapon with the suspect should he change his mind about surrendering. As some on here will note. Initial compliance is always just that initial. I've had many a suspect resist once they felt hands on and changed their minds on compliance. Then the fight begins. The last thing I want in my hand while trying to secure someone is a firearm. Because it could end up becoming his firearm.

On the civilian side of the equation; I believe unless one lives in a completely dark environment sans ambient lighting that they are a gimmick. More tacti-cool vs necessary. Most home environments to including outdoors has some form of ambient lighting with the exception of rural areas. Unless one has a problem with cattle rustlers or live at the border the likelihood of encountering someone to rob you of your chaps is nil. Even in most homes there is ambient light from night lights or some other electronic device. That doesn't mean don't have a flashlight handy but on a weapon? In a home that you are familiar with and a trespasser isn't?

The WL in policing is to find, fix, and observe whether the person encountered is armed. The old watch the hands because they kill. But to also identify the possibly armed suspect ensuring that they are not.

Jan Z is correct about installing night lights. It serves several purposes. Prevent one from tripping on something left on the floor. Provides additional ambient lighting. Provides a nice ambiance:ROFLMAO:, and most importantly keeps the boogieman at bay. OBTW, most home burglaries occur during the daytime.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
To answer your own question do some night time training.
WML's have their place. My EDC has a WML. I also have a flashlight in my pocket.

The chance of me needing a WML is probably less than me needing my 2nd or 3rd magazine. I also haven't needed the fire extinguisher, first aid kit, or emergency flares I keep in my truck.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Many of us carry a light for hand use primarily to see things in dark areas. Like, auto parts stock shelving, under the hood of a car, you dropped jewelry on the floor and it bounced.

Illuminating the source of a suspicious noise is another, which goes to how fearful are you and do you simply shoot first and bury family later?

Use a light instead of living in darkness.

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,426 Posts
To answer your own question do some night time training.
WML's have their place. My EDC has a WML. I also have a flashlight in my pocket.

The chance of me needing a WML is probably less than me needing my 2nd or 3rd magazine. I also haven't needed the fire extinguisher, first aid kit, or emergency flares I keep in my truck.
lol, I don't think I ever fire and maneuvered to my fridge or asked the kids to provide over watch ;)

·
🎖USAF Retired
3,465 Posts
Keep in mind the light doesn’t need to be on all the time. A good weapon light can be flicked on and off with a finger just slightly depressing the switch or turn it on full. Only turning it on when needed.

Also, the light should be of sufficient brightness to temporarily blind a person when it’s flashed at them. A blinded perp gives me a strong advantage.

In a persons home you as the owner have the tactical advantage, a light on your gun just gives you another tool to use to help you survive.

This is a good read

·
🎖USMC Retired Premium Member
2,076 Posts
I personally have my grown kids show up in the house from time to time. I have viewed my home, especially from my bedroom, at night and am not happy that I can ID who is or isn’t friendly. Yes, you can see the outline of a person, but at my exceptionally old age, I don’t see as well as I once did. WML’s allow you to ID who is there before turning on the room light and allow a shot more quick and more accurately when time just might be important - at least for me. It also lights up the target in the dark, allowing me to ID the target and use my sights.

And yes, I’m a wimp and have a green dot laser on my WML. I see no reason to give the BG ANY breaks.

·
Registered
481 Posts
A light on the weapon isn't a bad thing, just be careful pointing it around at the gas station when you check the oil. Inside the home, you are likely to muzzle family and friends - literally point a loaded weapon at them. Sociologically this is considered to be the use of lethal force. Are they a threat?

Things like this are why a weapon light becomes an expensive dedicated accessory with very limited use. If you are SERT, go for it.

A clipped light you can handle separately from the gun will likely get used 10x as much during the day.

Choose wisely.

·
🎖USMC Retired Premium Member
2,076 Posts
To @paularmola, while your tactical discussion is excellent, us over-the-hill gang have a more difficult time transitioning to full combat mode. While I have one of those small Surefire flashlights on the night stand, and use it often rather than stumble around in the dark, I feel reassured with the WML and laser that a night shot will be effective. For EDC, I am not out in the dark much, so it doesn’t seem useful to lug that much extra weight.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I guess it depends on how you were trained. I was trained to use a light to identify the "target". If the "target" turns out to be your spouse or child, and you're using a WML, you are pointing your gun at a family member. I was trained that this is a mortal sin; violates one of the cardinal "rules".
So, when needed, I carry my flashlight in my weak hand and my pistol in my strong hand.
If we're talking LEO or military, it's a different discussion.

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
784 Posts
The light serves one primary purpose: target identification. How you choose to use it (the tactics) can vary, and don’t require you to broadcast your position to the bad guy (don’t base your personal tactics on TV and movies). Personally, I don’t want to find out after the fact that I shot the wrong person. YMMV.

·
🎖USA Veteran
3,426 Posts
Keep in mind the light doesn’t need to be on all the time. A good weapon light can be flicked on and off with a finger just slightly depressing the switch or turn it on full. Only turning it on when needed.

Also, the light should be of sufficient brightness to temporarily blind a person when it’s flashed at them. A blinded perp gives me a strong advantage.

In a persons home you as the owner have the tactical advantage, a light on your gun just gives you another tool to use to help you survive.

This is a good read
I know the writer and we have trained together as SWAT instructors at one time. There is more to the training and mindset than just one piece of the pie. Using SWAT articles as the bellwether for a civilian is simply foolish. There's a lot more involved than snuff, a look, and a swagger. Him and I have discussed this from all aspects, new officer, generational attitudes, impact of watching to much television, and a belief that one is exceptional just by being assigned a specialty field/unit. SWATs mantra has and will always be, "SWAT saves lives". Not by kinetic action, but by tactical application of less lethal alternatives. Which increases the chances of a legal, viable, and non-lethal resolution to an incident.

Mounting a WL is a personal choice. I'm neither against it nor advocate for it. Tools and their additions are and should be mission specific. Decide your mission and apply accordingly.

·
🎖USAF Retired
3,465 Posts
I know the writer and we have trained together as SWAT instructors at one time. There is more to the training and mindset than just one piece of the pie. Using SWAT articles as the bellwether for a civilian is simply foolish. There's a lot more involved than snuff, a look, and a swagger. Him and I have discussed this from all aspects, new officer, generational attitudes, impact of watching to much television, and a belief that one is exceptional just by being assigned a specialty field/unit. SWATs mantra has and will always be, "SWAT saves lives". Not by kinetic action, but by tactical application of less lethal alternatives. Which increases the chances of a legal, viable, and non-lethal resolution to an incident.

Mounting a WL is a personal choice. I'm neither against it nor advocate for it. Tools and their additions are and should be mission specific. Decide your mission and apply accordingly.
Thanks for the criticism.. your vast knowledge on the subject is illuminating…. And shines a light on what we should and should not read.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts