SIG Talk banner

Why Won't the Ruger Mini-14 Just Die? [Part 1]

1329 34

Font Adaptation Jersey Entertainment Event
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
I appreciate the reply but I am fully aware of the history of the gun. The point of my comment was how to make the Mini-14 relevant in the 21st century. Old man Ruger was very against “assault weapons” and there’s a certain (and potentially lucrative) niche where a traditional looking rifle with some subtle modern “tactical” features would do well. I certainly would be interested in a Mini-14 if it only took AR mags. In this day and age, the AR mag is ubiquitous to 5.56/.223 so you can put that change in the no-brainer column. As I previously mentioned, it may not be worth the investment on Ruger’s part.
The fact that the Mini does not check those boxes for being “relevant in the 21st century”, may be exactly what ends up making it “relevant” in todays gun control climate. 😏

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
In a sea of hideous facial piercings, enlarged earlobes, and full-body blue tattoos on women, I believe natural beauty is still relevant in the 21st century. I miss natural beauty so I appreciate the Mini-14 and Mini-30 for their "natural beauty" as well as their capabilities as firearms.

The Mini-Thirty is one of my favorite firearms that I own. So much so that it has a special place in case I'm in my vehicle and I happen to be in the WRONG place.

Wood Air gun Musical instrument accessory Trigger Shotgun

·
Registered
84 Posts
I didn’t know the history of the Mini 14. I did know about the m16 /ar15 and most military rifles. It was a good video for those of us born after it was developed.

I got a 9mm Ruger PCC with a p365 mag adapter and a 10/22.

I bought them both this year, so Ruger history is more interesting to me right now.

I used to watch reruns of the A-Team as a teenager.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great video - thanks! I bought a Mini 14 recently that I haven’t even fired yet. I wanted a carbine for just in case, and the aesthetic was appealing because of the traditional looks. Reviews also said it was extremely reliable with the M1 Garand style action. Mine has the green Hogue wrap over a synthetic stock which suited me fine. I plan on getting it to the range in the next two weeks. I’ll post a picture later. The green one isn’t seen that often.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Great video - thanks! I bought a Mini 14 recently that I haven’t even fired yet. I wanted a carbine for just in case, and the aesthetic was appealing because of the traditional looks. Reviews also said it was extremely reliable with the M1 Garand style action. Mine has the green Hogue wrap over a synthetic stock which suited me fine. I plan on getting it to the range in the next two weeks. I’ll post a picture later. The green one isn’t seen that often.
If you feel comfortable, can you post a PIC?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
If yours has a standard modern Ruger peep site, I have a tip for you regarding the two opposing set screws. You probably know the operation but for those who don't.... on the rear site, there are two opposing set screws that hold the peep stem. Windage is adjusted by loosening one and taking up the slack by tightening the other side. Get the windage adjusted first and then to adjust elevation, loosen ONE of the set screws and twist the peep up or down depending. Elevation is in half-turn increments. Tighten the one you loosened to secure the peep stem and shoot to verify proper elevation. Rinse and repeat if necessary. Do not overtorque - in fact, right now only do it finger tight with a standard Allen key. Because.....

Now for the tip
Get some VibraTite VC-3 (tube or bottle). This is a flexible, removable thread "locker" that does not cement the fastener down like LocTite does. The sight's set screws on their own can vibrate loose and VC-3 is perfectly suited for this application because you may need to fine-tune your rear sight adjustment later. Do not use any flavor of Loctite. Trust me - this is the stuff you want to use if you will be adjusting ANY threaded fastener later in the field.

So once you get the sight where you want (I like 50/250 yards for .223), remove only one screw and apply a little VC-3 to the threads. Let that dry for about 15 minutes. It dries to a gummy state sort of like licorice candy. Put the set screw back in tightening finger tight and then just a little more - don't torque too tight. Now do the same for the other side.

·
Premium Member
Poppastar a.k.a. pops
1,213 Posts
What might be interesting to note here is my front sight is not centered. As a result my rear sight sits pretty far off center to be zeroed. I confirmed this issue with Accuracy Systems. Used to bug me, can be fixed, but since I use an optic stopped thinking about it.

Additionally I could never reliably use the Ruger scope rings as they would eventually work themselves loose at the receiver. Ruger's little fasten from the top down picatinny with cutout to be able to remove the bolt without removing the optic did the trick.

Even though mine is a current model, it always had fliers until I braced the barrel. The adjustable gas block was a nice addition too. Fun!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ruger would possibly have a winner if they made a few changes to the Mini-14:

1. Accept AR-15 mags
2. Improve accuracy to 1 MOA
3. Pic rail on top for optics
4. Threaded barrel
5. MLOK slots on either side in the fore end for mounting of a light (but keep the wood stock, excellent aesthetic)

I doubt the cost/benefit is there for retooling production on this rifle. But man I’d love a version of the Mini-14 with these modern features. One can dream…
No offence, but you come across as one of those type of guys who would put a bunch of Tapco type funature on their SKS and M1 Garand. You basically want Ruger to turn what's basically a farm, ranch, and woods rifle into an AR15 variant "assault" rifle. I disagree with you on that. If I want that type of rifle, I would simply buy one of the many AR15 and AKs that are already on the market with thousands of affordable accessories, spare parts, etc to choose from.

It's just fine and is still relevant to those who are older and/or aren't the tactical operator types. Also, the Mini 14s and 30s already have threaded barrels. The only issue the Ruger Mini has is it's price point. The MSRP is around $1200-$1300. If they were $550-$750, they'd be more popular.

·
Registered
573 Posts
No offence, but you come across as one of those type of guys who would put a bunch of Tapco type funature on their SKS and M1 Garand. You basically want Ruger to turn what's basically a farm, ranch, and woods rifle into an AR15 variant "assault" rifle. I disagree with you on that. If I want that type of rifle, I would simply buy one of the many AR15 and AKs that are already on the market with thousands of affordable accessories, spare parts, etc to choose from.

It's just fine and is still relevant to those who are older and/or aren't the tactical operator types. Also, the Mini 14s and 30s already have threaded barrels. The only issue the Ruger Mini has is it's price point. The MSRP is around $1200-$1300. If they were $550-$750, they'd be more popular.
I’d agree that the Ruger Mini is an absurdly overpriced truck gun.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts