·
Registered
83 Posts
Ruger would possibly have a winner if they made a few changes to the Mini-14:

1. Accept AR-15 mags
2. Improve accuracy to 1 MOA
3. Pic rail on top for optics
4. Threaded barrel
5. MLOK slots on either side in the fore end for mounting of a light (but keep the wood stock, excellent aesthetic)

I doubt the cost/benefit is there for retooling production on this rifle. But man I’d love a version of the Mini-14 with these modern features. One can dream…

·
Registered
83 Posts
When Ruger Mini-14 came out in the 1970's it was a huge game changer.
All we had in rifles were WWII and korea war items, the 30cal carbine, the expensive Colt AR-15 (which at that time a total piece of jam-O-matic, some overseas imported firearms (expensive) unless you wanted bolt action, lever action but not much else.
Ruger used the Garand M-1 scaled down to make the Mini-14 and everyone wanted one.
I got mine at Woolco for $68.00 out the door.
Then the Demoncrap Assault ban hit for 10 years. Ruger quickly changed mini-14 to simple sporting rifle with internal 5 rds and avoided the ban.
The assault firearm market died.
Post-ban with its new rules, the internal machine workings started to develop firearms as we see today.
Ruger did a few small additions to the Mini-14 and such but they focused on new up to date technology changes and Mini-14 was mostly left to nostalgic days of a wooden firearm.
I appreciate the reply but I am fully aware of the history of the gun. The point of my comment was how to make the Mini-14 relevant in the 21st century. Old man Ruger was very against “assault weapons” and there’s a certain (and potentially lucrative) niche where a traditional looking rifle with some subtle modern “tactical” features would do well. I certainly would be interested in a Mini-14 if it only took AR mags. In this day and age, the AR mag is ubiquitous to 5.56/.223 so you can put that change in the no-brainer column. As I previously mentioned, it may not be worth the investment on Ruger’s part.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts