·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Ruger would possibly have a winner if they made a few changes to the Mini-14:

1. Accept AR-15 mags
2. Improve accuracy to 1 MOA
3. Pic rail on top for optics
4. Threaded barrel
5. MLOK slots on either side in the fore end for mounting of a light (but keep the wood stock, excellent aesthetic)

I doubt the cost/benefit is there for retooling production on this rifle. But man I’d love a version of the Mini-14 with these modern features. One can dream…
When Ruger Mini-14 came out in the 1970's it was a huge game changer.
All we had in rifles were WWII and korea war items, the 30cal carbine, the expensive Colt AR-15 (which at that time a total piece of jam-O-matic, some overseas imported firearms (expensive) unless you wanted bolt action, lever action but not much else.
Ruger used the Garand M-1 scaled down to make the Mini-14 and everyone wanted one.
I got mine at Woolco for $68.00 out the door.
Then the Demoncrap Assault ban hit for 10 years. Ruger quickly changed mini-14 to simple sporting rifle with internal 5 rds and avoided the ban.
The assault firearm market died.
Post-ban with its new rules, the internal machine workings started to develop firearms as we see today.
Ruger did a few small additions to the Mini-14 and such but they focused on new up to date technology changes and Mini-14 was mostly left to nostalgic days of a wooden firearm.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I appreciate the reply but I am fully aware of the history of the gun. The point of my comment was how to make the Mini-14 relevant in the 21st century. Old man Ruger was very against “assault weapons” and there’s a certain (and potentially lucrative) niche where a traditional looking rifle with some subtle modern “tactical” features would do well. I certainly would be interested in a Mini-14 if it only took AR mags. In this day and age, the AR mag is ubiquitous to 5.56/.223 so you can put that change in the no-brainer column. As I previously mentioned, it may not be worth the investment on Ruger’s part.
Looks like this is as far as Ruger will go with a Mini-14?
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Great video - thanks! I bought a Mini 14 recently that I haven’t even fired yet. I wanted a carbine for just in case, and the aesthetic was appealing because of the traditional looks. Reviews also said it was extremely reliable with the M1 Garand style action. Mine has the green Hogue wrap over a synthetic stock which suited me fine. I plan on getting it to the range in the next two weeks. I’ll post a picture later. The green one isn’t seen that often.
If you feel comfortable, can you post a PIC?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts