SIG Talk banner

Why Won't the Ruger Mini-14 Just Die? [Part 1]

1329 34

Font Adaptation Jersey Entertainment Event
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,094 Posts
I really like that channel. They put out solid, interesting info with every video.
They dont upload daily, or even weekly, but its always good stuff

Chris Baker is really likeable
Agreed. They are also willing to spend time exploring and reviewing things that aren't just the latest "tacticool" flavor of the month.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ruger would possibly have a winner if they made a few changes to the Mini-14:

1. Accept AR-15 mags
2. Improve accuracy to 1 MOA
3. Pic rail on top for optics
4. Threaded barrel
5. MLOK slots on either side in the fore end for mounting of a light (but keep the wood stock, excellent aesthetic)

I doubt the cost/benefit is there for retooling production on this rifle. But man I’d love a version of the Mini-14 with these modern features. One can dream…

·
Registered
383 Posts

1. Accept AR-15 mags
4. Threaded barrel
5. MLOK slots on either side in the fore end for mounting of a light (but keep the wood stock, excellent aesthetic)

I doubt the cost/benefit is there for retooling production on this rifle. But man I’d love a version of the Mini-14 with these modern features. One can dream…
While you may be right, Ruger already has a winner in the variety of Minis they sell now. Sales numbers tell the story.
Besides if you want all the AR goodies, Ruger sells that too.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

1. Accept AR-15 mags
4. Threaded barrel

When Ruger Mini-14 came out in the 1970's it was a huge game changer.
All we had in rifles were WWII and korea war items, the 30cal carbine, the expensive Colt AR-15 (which at that time a total piece of jam-O-matic, some overseas imported firearms (expensive) unless you wanted bolt action, lever action but not much else.
Ruger used the Garand M-1 scaled down to make the Mini-14 and everyone wanted one.
I got mine at Woolco for $68.00 out the door.
Then the Demoncrap Assault ban hit for 10 years. Ruger quickly changed mini-14 to simple sporting rifle with internal 5 rds and avoided the ban.
The assault firearm market died.
Post-ban with its new rules, the internal machine workings started to develop firearms as we see today.
Ruger did a few small additions to the Mini-14 and such but they focused on new up to date technology changes and Mini-14 was mostly left to nostalgic days of a wooden firearm.

·
Registered
835 Posts
My 6.8 Mini is a tack driver. It has the tapered barrel so there is no real benefit from the strut. The gun shoots sub MOA with the right ammunition. Some later models had accuracy issues caused by uneven torquing of the screws for the gas block.

·
Registered
422 Posts

1. Accept AR-15 mags
4. Threaded barrel

Ruger was very careful to configure that Mini-14 this way, as to avoid ending up on a banned weapons list
I know what youre saying, but they wont cross that bridge

EDIT: I see that others echoed the same sentiment. I didnt mean to pile on

·
Registered
83 Posts
When Ruger Mini-14 came out in the 1970's it was a huge game changer.
All we had in rifles were WWII and korea war items, the 30cal carbine, the expensive Colt AR-15 (which at that time a total piece of jam-O-matic, some overseas imported firearms (expensive) unless you wanted bolt action, lever action but not much else.
Ruger used the Garand M-1 scaled down to make the Mini-14 and everyone wanted one.
I got mine at Woolco for $68.00 out the door.
Then the Demoncrap Assault ban hit for 10 years. Ruger quickly changed mini-14 to simple sporting rifle with internal 5 rds and avoided the ban.
The assault firearm market died.
Post-ban with its new rules, the internal machine workings started to develop firearms as we see today.
Ruger did a few small additions to the Mini-14 and such but they focused on new up to date technology changes and Mini-14 was mostly left to nostalgic days of a wooden firearm.
I appreciate the reply but I am fully aware of the history of the gun. The point of my comment was how to make the Mini-14 relevant in the 21st century. Old man Ruger was very against “assault weapons” and there’s a certain (and potentially lucrative) niche where a traditional looking rifle with some subtle modern “tactical” features would do well. I certainly would be interested in a Mini-14 if it only took AR mags. In this day and age, the AR mag is ubiquitous to 5.56/.223 so you can put that change in the no-brainer column. As I previously mentioned, it may not be worth the investment on Ruger’s part.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I appreciate the reply but I am fully aware of the history of the gun. The point of my comment was how to make the Mini-14 relevant in the 21st century. Old man Ruger was very against “assault weapons” and there’s a certain (and potentially lucrative) niche where a traditional looking rifle with some subtle modern “tactical” features would do well. I certainly would be interested in a Mini-14 if it only took AR mags. In this day and age, the AR mag is ubiquitous to 5.56/.223 so you can put that change in the no-brainer column. As I previously mentioned, it may not be worth the investment on Ruger’s part.
Looks like this is as far as Ruger will go with a Mini-14?
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
15,084 Posts

1. Accept AR-15 mags
4. Threaded barrel

So kinda' like an Ares SCR....

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I am reminded that Col Cooper, FWIW, said they did everything the AR did but better. Part of that was tempered by the lack of love for the 223.

I have three and keep because they tend not to get on the banned list. The new ones are as accurate as needed without any aftermarket struts and such. They can be suppressed without a lot of trauma and pic rails for scope mounts are made by many.

Love my MCX but the Minis are not going anywhere

1 - 20 of 35 Posts