SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this to be an extremely cogent, well reasoned, comprehensive explanation of their decision. I've come to many of the same conclusions myself. I enjoy shooting 40S&W, 45ACP, & especially 10mm, a great deal, but, I don't shoot any of them as well, nor as quickly, as I do 9mm. Not to mention that I don't enjoy a limitless ammo budget & 9mm is less expensive. Whether it's out of a SIG, a Glock, an HK, or whatever make pistol, its hard to argue that 9mm isn't the ideal choice of modern ammunition...

https://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/fbi-going-9mm/

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Lots of discussion on the importance of projectile and shot placement, but no discussion of bullet weight. Do they recommend a particular weight?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Its funny that I have multiple 9mm pistols but carry a .357sig. I like 9mm for range time and expense
.357sig when you care enough to send the very best!
-steve

·
Registered
413 Posts
It don't mention head shots, if somebody is within a yard or two which many shootings are, I'm going to try and hit him in the head, especially if I gave a small caliber like .380 or .32

·
Registered
515 Posts
I too favor the 357 Sig over the 9mm. Its like a 9mm on steroids.

This whole 9mm - 40- 45- 9mm cycle kind of reminds of clothing fashion. It just keeps coming back in style then out of style then back in style over and over again (unless your talking men's rompers). Seems to me everyone wants to copy the stopping power of a 45. So just carry a 45. :)

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I would have more faith in the FBI's ability to make such a serious and technical decision if they had picked an actual quality pistol to go along with their choice of caliber. Unfortunately, they chose Glock. That negates any standing they might have in the area of analysis, logic, or reasoning in my book.

Reactions: Roystu and wsp222

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
I am Always in favor of the other guy using a inferior weapons system. that includes the ammunition.
Right...tell that to the special operators who use a 9mm pistol. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
I found this to be an extremely cogent, well reasoned, comprehensive explanation of their decision. I've come to many of the same conclusions myself. I enjoy shooting 40S&W, 45ACP, & especially 10mm, a great deal, but, I don't shoot any of them as well, nor as quickly, as I do 9mm. Not to mention that I don't enjoy a limitless ammo budget & 9mm is less expensive. Whether it's out of a SIG, a Glock, an HK, or whatever make pistol, its hard to argue that 9mm isn't the ideal choice of modern ammunition...

https://loadoutroom.com/thearmsguide/fbi-going-9mm/
Now just sit back and watch the show. All the boo-birds will be out tonight! :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would have more faith in the FBI's ability to make such a serious and technical decision if they had picked an actual quality pistol to go along with their choice of caliber. Unfortunately, they chose Glock. That negates any standing they might have in the area of analysis, logic, or reasoning in my book.
I'm guessing striker 9mm pistols. Why you ask? Because most FBI agents that carry are probably like most police officers that carry-they are not good shots and they are lazy and don't clean their guns.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Nothing wrong with the G17 or the G19...They have a rock solid history. Having said that, they should have gone with the G31 and G32 if they wanted to get it right...

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I'm guessing striker 9mm pistols. Why you ask? Because most FBI agents that carry are probably like most police officers that carry-they are not good shots and they are lazy and don't clean their guns.
Sad but true. Our County Sheriff has a range but its the only police range in the county. I'm at my range about 1x/wk on average and have seen peace officers from the other dozen or so departments in the county on the range only a handful of times. When I ask them its almost always - I have to qualify tomorrow......

Reactions: whitewabit

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Nothing wrong with the G17 or the G19...They have a rock solid history. Having said that, they should have gone with the G31 and G32 if they wanted to get it right...
Sorry, they require loads of tweaks and aftermarkets to be up to speed and they still have that G*d awful grip angle. Thanks, but I'm sure that some can shoot them just fine but the average police officer isn't among that elite group based on decades of statistics about the number of misses and the spray and pray approach taken in most law enforcement shoots.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
:lol: WOW...yeah...:lol:

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Sorry, they require loads of tweaks and aftermarkets to be up to speed and they still have that G*d awful grip angle. Thanks, but I'm sure that some can shoot them just fine but the average police officer isn't among that elite group based on decades of statistics about the number of misses and the spray and pray approach taken in most law enforcement shoots.
Actually, no, they don't. OH wait...you were speaking for yourself. My apologies.

Reactions: Papa Sig

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Right...tell that to the special operators who use a 9mm pistol. :rolleyes:
Special operators that can hit 9/10 head shots in the confusion of a dark assault are allowed to select any caliber they want. Police officers that miss 80-90% of the time need to a) learn to shoot better, b) practice, practice, practice, and c) use a more lethal option so when they do luck into a hit its incapacitating.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Special operators that can hit 9/10 head shots in the confusion of a dark assault are allowed to select any caliber they want. Police officers that miss 80-90% of the time need to a) learn to shoot better, b) practice, practice, practice, and c) use a more lethal option so when they do luck into a hit its incapacitating.

Special operators also don't use inferior weapons. Btw, have you ever studied real world results for service pistols? You might be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.