SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Premium Member
Cool video. I did not realize Sig was private - that does allow more flexibility in how they can operate vs public firms. If their ownership is private equity, it's a strategic one for sure.

The video reflected slick marketing, but offered a good overview of factual background as well. Thanks for posting it!

Registered
Sig is a fine weapon. I carried one as a service weapon for about 6 years and it never failed me. But, as a company, they do some things that are a little shaky, and some of their other products are third class. For example the Romero Zero red dot. It's a cheap sight, that's fine. But it is poorly designed (watch comparison videos) and very fragile. They've made some upgrades in later versions and made a metal shroud to help with the fragility. If you buy the Romero Zero sight it will come with the shroud. If you buy a NEW P365 XL it will come without the shroud. I'd expect a quality company to sell a NEW weapon with the newest upgrades. But that doesn't happen at Sig.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...I'd expect a quality company to sell a NEW weapon with the newest upgrades. But that doesn't happen at Sig.
Why would you expect that? You really think that every model they offer should come with every upgrade they offer as well? If I buy a base model P229, should I expect it comes with everything that the Legion P229 offers?

Registered
Why would you expect that? You really think that every model they offer should come with every upgrade they offer as well? If I buy a base model P229, should I expect it comes with everything that the Legion P229 offers?
Well, just as an example. If I buy a video card that is in version 4, and get a version 1 card, that doesn't seem right. In the case of the sight, I would expect the sight included on a new weapon to be a new sight,, latest version. So, if the new sight comes with a shroud, I'd expect it to be on the new weapon, or at least included. Now, I don't expect a product that has added features (e.g. the RomeroPremium, just guessing) to be substituted for the Romero Zero.

Premium Member
SIG seems pretty good at reading the landscape of the market. Today people want small compact, lightweight, easy to carry, easy to shoot, self-defense handguns in readily accessible calibers. So, what we're getting is the 320 and 365 in 9mm and .380. These guns help bring in the "newbies" to the brand and to the older, "old school" designs and maybe to competition guns later on.

I'm a good example, while very far from being a "newbie" to guns, I bought a 320 compact as a carry gun, I really liked it from the start but went to the smaller easier to conceal Sub-Compact. Later on, I decided to try the more target oriented 320 X5 and a full size 320 .45acp. Then having four guns and thousands of rounds through the brand I couldn't turn down a 1911 TACOPS when it fell into my lap. Like potato chips you can't have just one.

(I need to add a pic of TACOPS to my file)

Air gun Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

Premium Member
Oh so droll.

Sig should be a business school Case Study.

Registered
SIG seems pretty good at reading the landscape of the market. Today people want small compact, lightweight, easy to carry, easy to shoot, self-defense handguns in readily accessible calibers.
Generally speaking I agree, but there's also plenty of folks that enjoy and covet the classic "P" series
and 1911's. While Sig still feeds that group, they don't seem to be going out of their way to come out
with something new. For example, I was surprised Sig doesn't offer a 1911 commander size in 9mm
when pretty much everyone else does. Or how about more 226/229 custom shops?

But don't misunderstand, far be it for me to question their business model. They're clearly successful.
But sometimes that success move you towards the "easy money", rather than what the company was
originally built on.

Ok, I'm done :p

Registered
I love the point he made about SIG being a private company who can take aim long range rather than try to beat a quarterly target. I鈥檝e sat in boardrooms and listened to VPs laying out how to beat this or that metric for a quarter and known it was the wrong decision for long term and been proven right too many times.

To be innovative requires thinking 3 or 5 or 10 years down the road and spending money now that will do nothing for the short term except lower this month鈥檚 net income. Too many CEOs long term plan amounts to a 鈥減ump and dump鈥 and move on to a bigger-better job before it all crumbles.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love the point he made about SIG being a private company who can take aim long range rather than try to beat a quarterly target. I鈥檝e sat in boardrooms and listened to VPs laying out how to beat this or that metric for a quarter and known it was the wrong decision for long term and been proven right too many times.

To be innovative requires thinking 3 or 5 or 10 years down the road and spending money now that will do nothing for the short term except lower this month鈥檚 net income. Too many CEOs long term plan amounts to a 鈥減ump and dump鈥 and move on to a bigger-better job before it all crumbles.
Agreed. I thought that was a pretty valid and interesting point, and one that I hadn't thought much about previously.

馃帠USMC Retired Premium Member
When one hears/reads things like this, it is prudent to ask what wasn鈥檛 said. ?How many failures did they go through before they got to where they are. ?How much of where they are is due to good marketing rather than really good guns. I am reminded of Glock - still a dominant weapon in LEO circles. ?Why is that. The design is ancient, with no additional features to address any of the common complaints about Glocks (?grip angle anyone).

Sig has made more than its fair share of mistakes, but people don鈥檛 like to talk about them, or poo-poo them as fanboys. But honesty requires to note that lots of companies on their way towards excellence have done the same. ?Does anyone remember the old Honda Dreamcycle. What a POS! But you can鈥檛 say that about modern Hondas. Sig is probably no different.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, Wow. A video by Sig showcasing why Sig is dominant in the market?
It's not a video by Sig. And of course there's a marketing aspect to it, but it also points out a number of things that are factual.

Or in other words,

"Yeah, wow - a video about Sig on the Sig forum?"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts