SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Why rotate different firearms for concealed carry?

7K views 91 replies 73 participants last post by  Lshaw 
#1 ·
I keep reading different posts about people having a forearm rotation regimen for concealed carry, Why? Are you proficient in every firearm in the rotation? Especially under duress.

#3 ·
I rotate 1911 Commanders. Will carry one for six months maybe a year and then give her a rest in the stable for another one.
But I also carried a Beretta 92 for years as well as classic Sig P-series guns. If you train enough and take enough classes or courses with the platform you carry than yes I think it’s possible to become proficient in multiple types of guns.

#7 ·
I have carried the same gun since the mid 90's. I m proficient with it, know how to make it work, it has never failed, and have a whole lot of muscle memory invested in it. I was my duty gun for the last 20 years of my career. I am skeptical of people that change guns like socks. You don't rise to the occasion, you fall back to your level of training, don't kid yourself. When things turn to ****, you better be well trained on the gun you carry.

#10 · (Edited)
I rotate between my Sig 365XL and Glock 19, depending on seasonal clothing. I am more proficient with the Glock, but it doesn't conceal as well as the Sig while wearing summer clothing. I also pocket carry my S&W 642 Airweight as a BUG or when taking a quick trip to the corner market.

Concerning carrying, I did learn a good lesson that I'd like to share. Last year I had surgery on my right shoulder and had my arm in a sling for six weeks. I shoot right handed and quickly figured out that shooting a pistol left handed presented a number of issues, including clearing a failure if one were to occur. So I went out and bought a S&W Airweight revolver figuring that would at least reduce the chance of having to deal with a failure. Well...I equally discovered that I suck at shooting one-handed with my weak hand. I couldn't hit the side of a barn at point blank. Although I go to the range at least once a week, I was remise about practicing with my weak hand. To help solve this problem, I put a Crimson Trace laser on my Airweight and that helped immensely. That's the setup I used for the next five months until my shoulder was healed up enough to shoot right handed again. Lesson learned: practice with your weak hand. You'll be glad you did if your strong hand is disabled in a gun fight.

#12 ·
I don’t necessarily “rotate” my concealed carry weapon on any kind of regular schedule, but I do have different rigs set up that give me options. I’m proficient with all of them and I feel very comfortable with any of them.

I think everyone should have at least two set ups - you never know when one will be out of action and leave you uncovered. It’s not difficult at all to maintain proficiency in several different platforms, especially if they are of similar type (DA/SA, striker, etc.). I like to keep all of my platform types configured the same way (decocker-only for DA/SA, no manual safeties on anything except my 1911’s). That makes it very easy to move between platform types - not only for CC, but any time I need to grab a gun.

#73 ·
Same here for me... I usually have several rigs setup. I train with all the guns I carry and they are all the same type with no manual safeties. I like the variety as it forces me to do more training and practice more... more guns, more practice is a good thing for me. My most carried is a Sig P365XL, no MS. I also stick with the same holster makes/models for consistency. I like Alien Gear and usually OWB but concealed (under a loose shirt) and practice that setup religiously.

#17 · (Edited)
That's a big "nope" for me. One carry gun at a time, allatime.

Currently this is a P365X. My previous carry guns were: Glock 19 Gen 5 MOS, Glock 48, P365XL, Glock 43X, P365, HK P30SK LEM, Glock 19 Gen 5, Glock 26, and a Walther PPS M2, but only one at a time.

Pants on = gun on, otherwise it's in the safe. When I go to the range, when I get to my lane, unholster, remove carry mag, insert range mag. My first round out of the gun is the chambered cartridge. Nice to know it works. I do my range work, then on preparing to leave, I barney up another fresh carry round, re-insert my carry mag, and carefully reholster. It's generally only unloaded for administrative work (e.g. cleaning) or for periodic Dry Practice.

BUG is a Ruger LCR that I normally pocket carry in a Desantis Nemesis. I also wear it in a Dark Star Gear appendix holster clipped to my gym shorts when I'm at the gym. The only other firearms I have are a Glock 34 for competition and a 1911.

#18 · (Edited)
Part of the gun culture is the love of firearms. Variety is the spice of life and life is short. Enjoy our hobby, practice with all carry weapons and choose which works best for you that day depending on many variables. I will say staying within the same “manual of arms” is pretty high though. So I stay with NO manual safety and stick with striker fired or HK LEM light variants for my carry weapons.

#19 · (Edited)
My carry handguns all have the same manual of arms - Glock, S&W revolvers, Seecamp, Kahr, SIG P-Series DAK, and P365. Depending on circumstances and wardrobe, I am comfortable carrying any of my carry handguns.

ETA: I typically carry AWIB, but will carry my J-frame in my front right pocket from time to time. Moving to different carry positions can become problematic. If doing a lot of driving, something will be on my ankle in addition to the AWIB.

#20 ·
I have different CCW depending on the time of the year. Summer in Texas requires shorts and T shirts. My 365 or 238 in my pocket (in a De Santis holster) works the best in that instance.

In late fall or winter I can effectively conceal my 239 in 357 Sig (inside the waist band holster) with a jacket or over shirt.

Although I prefer the 239, but I'm not a big guy and can't effectively conceal it during the summer.

#22 ·
I made a change. I went from carrying a hundred some year old M1911 to a fifty some year old Combat Commander. Old habits die hard. If absolutely forced to, simply because there is no way to hide anything bigger, a Kel-Tec P3-AT. A mouse gun with me is going to be more useful than any cannon still at home in the safe.

#31 ·
They all have the same manual of arms, so switching doesn't worry me.
Same here. When I first moved to a carry-friendly state, I bought two small pistols, a Shield and a P938, but as I bought more DA/SA or DAO SIGs, that's all I carry now. Striker-fired or SAOs only for range fun.

#72 ·
After college, I found myself in a suit daily and my usual CCW (full-size 1911) was a challenged to conceal/carry.

When I could afford more than one gun, I acquired pistols of various types/sizes to accommodate,
the weather, the seasons, formal clothing requirements, and the changing circumstances presented each day.

Hiking, while carrying, in summer is a very different challenge from general winter carry or professional dress carry...

#25 ·
After rotating through diff platforms, I have changed my philosophy. My age has required me to change..recently I went out to test a few of my carry guns at 20 yards ( church defense distance ) using 3 to 4 shot drills from the holster. M&P 9 compact and PX4. I had hits outside of the 23X35 target for the first time. Ouch! Eyes, nerve issues, and joint weakness are impacting now. So I decided to go striker fired, because DA to SA or SA cond 1 are not working for me. My new carry is a GLock 17 for warm months and a M&P pro in 4.25" for winter. I had to go with longer barrels to keep my shots on target, while transitioning or moving..Which are part of my drills. I am getting good results with both of the larger pistols.
Now if I had time to spend a few more hours a week training probably would move to a smaller platform, but my old age issues would always be hanging over me..Can I hit the dang target under stress!! So I will probably stick with the larger pistols.

#26 ·
I rotate between a P365, P365XL w/ RMRcc, and S&W BG380. All depends on the clothing I am wearing on any given day. I carry almost exclusively AIWB.

Full size guns stay home for HD and range fun. I truly don't understand how some guys conceal a P226/1911/92 or why they'd want to with all that extra weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.