SIG Talk banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
I carry one of several government model 1911s in either 45 ACP or 10mm as an EDC. I carry my FN FNX-45 Tactical with the same manual of arms as a 1911 when I want more capacity. I carry one of several revolvers in 357 magnum, 41 magnum, 45 Colt, 44 magnum or 454 Casull as woods guns depending on potential encounters. My thumb wipes the revolver's safety when I draw it.
Chuckle......we all know you actually meant 1911 on that safety. It's remarkable , I can go months without carrying a 1911 , carry one of 'em on a whim. And decades of muscle memory go right back to automatically sweeping the safety on the draw.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wouldn't say I have a rotation, but as I've been able to afford more guns, I've been able to diversify for more niche situations. I do make a point to be proficient on all platforms I do carry, and I make point to be familiar with various platforms in case I ever needed to pick up someone else's gun. But the guns that I have full EDC setups for are, DA/ SA Sig's (P220, P245, P228, P229, P6), Beretta 92 Compact, and 1911's of all sizes.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Corollary factor that sometimes gets forgotten........Race Guns are not carry guns. Watch what mods you make to a carry weapon.......gotta say that we see this in classes with Glocks more than any other maker. Some folks toss so many mods at 'em in the name of " tuning" them that they tune the actual best aspects of a Glock i.e. reliability and durability right out of the equation , a certain segment of the 1911 crowd is kinda prone to the syndrome as well.

Side-note , there are individuals on the planet who should never , ever be allowed anywhere near a Dremel tool

·
Registered
65 Posts
I keep reading different posts about people having a forearm rotation regimen for concealed carry, Why? Are you proficient in every firearm in the rotation? Especially under duress.
Fair to consider rotation for several reasons
Weather and clothing compatibility?
Level of concealment ?
Purpose for carry or activity or even the location may affect the selection?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would not rotate too regularly, unless, you have the same trigger/safety mechanism on your pistol. I rotate only on a seasonal basis. In Texas, It gets mighty hot, so in warm weather, I like my Kahr P9. Cooler weather I like my Sig P229 SAS Gen2, in .357sig, or my Dan Wesson 1911 Vigil CCO in .45acp. I dry fire, and live fire, and very experienced with all three.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don’t rotate at all… Maybe just because I don’t own a lot of options (yet), but my trusty P320 RXP XCompact has had both nightstand and CCW duty since I got it. My old gen 1 M&P Shield had both jobs for years before that.

Neither one has ever let me down, so I guess I’ve been blessed to not have any of the mechanical issues that one sometimes has with machinery.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I don’t rotate at all… Maybe just because I don’t own a lot of options (yet), but my trusty P320 RXP XCompact has had both nightstand and CCW duty since I got it. My old gen 1 M&P Shield had both jobs for years before that.

Neither one has ever let me down, so I guess I’ve been blessed to not have any of the mechanical issues that one sometimes has with machinery.

Oh boy.......there's that YET in the same sentence as SIG , the Signess is setting in.

Ya bring up a salient point , it might be construed that some of us have a carry rotation because we simply gotta justify having so damned many sidearms. Can't make everything a safe queen.

Hey they are ALL in the carry rotation..........really. Seriously , I mean really truly. If you want to hear the most hilarious justifications then listen to someone try to justify a new Varmint Rifle build to their wife. " But Dear.....this one is for the slightly smaller Prairie Dogs"........ " No no can't sell that one off to finance the new one...that one is for the Six Legged Prairie Dogs.............nope not that one either , that one is specifically for the Spotted Mountain Jackalope Toad , vicious little things they are........jump fifty feet and spear ya with their Speed Goat Antlers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chuckle......we all know you actually meant 1911 on that safety. It's remarkable , I can go months without carrying a 1911 , carry one of 'em on a whim. And decades of muscle memory go right back to automatically sweeping the safety on the draw.
I don't think he was necessarily joking. His thumb very well may have been going for the "safety" on whatever was coming out of the holster. The first time I took my P226 to an IPSC match I found myself fumble fingered to no end. Between not coming far enough forward to get the trigger to reset or trying to drop the slide with the decocker on a reload, 50 years of 1911 muscle memory was kicking my ***!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I usually rotate between a Sig P224 in 357 Sig or a Ruger LC9 depending on what I'm wearing. For woods carry, I'll take my P226 also in 357 Sig with PPU flat-nosed FMJs or my P224. If I take my P224, I'll leave a couple 65 grain Underwood Extreme Defenders in the top of the magazine backed by PPUs or Underwood Extreme Penetrators.

·
Registered
436 Posts
As others have said, weather and clothing choice dictate what I carry.
After college, I found myself in a suit daily and my usual CCW (full-size 1911) was a challenged to conceal/carry.

When I could afford more than one gun, I acquired pistols of various types/sizes to accommodate,
the weather, the seasons, formal clothing requirements, and the changing circumstances presented each day.

Hiking, while carrying, in summer is a very different challenge from general winter carry or professional dress carry...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don’t necessarily “rotate” my concealed carry weapon on any kind of regular schedule, but I do have different rigs set up that give me options. I’m proficient with all of them and I feel very comfortable with any of them.

I think everyone should have at least two set ups - you never know when one will be out of action and leave you uncovered. It’s not difficult at all to maintain proficiency in several different platforms, especially if they are of similar type (DA/SA, striker, etc.). I like to keep all of my platform types configured the same way (decocker-only for DA/SA, no manual safeties on anything except my 1911’s). That makes it very easy to move between platform types - not only for CC, but any time I need to grab a gun.
Same here for me... I usually have several rigs setup. I train with all the guns I carry and they are all the same type with no manual safeties. I like the variety as it forces me to do more training and practice more... more guns, more practice is a good thing for me. My most carried is a Sig P365XL, no MS. I also stick with the same holster makes/models for consistency. I like Alien Gear and usually OWB but concealed (under a loose shirt) and practice that setup religiously.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think this question comes to personal experience. If you spent decades and 100s of thousands of rounds down range using all different handgun platforms Your confidence would be quite different than a 20 something who recently purchased a striker, a 1911 and a DASA.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I keep reading different posts about people having a forearm rotation regimen for concealed carry, Why? Are you proficient in every firearm in the rotation? Especially under duress.
I semi-rotate them. I have three Sigs for everyday carry, a 320 X Compact, a 365 and a 226. Both the 226 and 320 are equipped with lights. Any of the two are favored when carrying at night. The 320 is favored when I’m going to be carrying all day, due to its lighter weight. The 226 was my first Sig, and the one I shoot best. It’s my go to if I expect to be in any environment that merits me being in Condition Bright Yellow. The 365 is my go-to when carrying during the day and wanting maximum concealability. It’s also my newest and the one I shoot least well to date (although well enough), so it sees the least use.
i practice with all three equally, rotating through all three. Every trip to the range is with a different one. To the degree possible, all three are configured as close to each other as I can get them. All three have Hogue grips. The 320 and 365 also have Wilson Combat lowers. This is because, though my hands aren’t large, I have long fingers, so I try to get my pistols to comfortably fill my hand. None have manual safeties. All have red dot sights (I also have a full sized 320 and another 226 semi-permanently configured in .22, with iron sights, which I’ll shoot in addition to one of the EDC’s at the range, to keep myself current with iron sights). The red dots on the 320 and 226 are Romeo 1’s, the 226 has a Holosun 407K, which is similar enough. All are carried either in OWB 1791 Gunleather holsters, identical to each other except for the pistol they’re configured for, or pack type holsters. The 320 and 365 fit well in identical “nerdy dad” cross chest rigs, with an inner holster to fit it (this because the 320, as mentioned, sports a light) but in all other regards identical. The 226 unfortunately won’t fit in those particular packs, so it’s alternate holster is a regular “fanny pack” belt carry configuration. I rotate shooting from the draw from all my holsters, and regularly lubricate the packs’ zippers with beeswax.
I do this for comfort in different circumstances, as well as to provide variety and added fun to my training. So far, so good.

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I have several guns suitable for carry but I don't rotate them for EDC. I shoot all my guns pretty well ... some I've owned since the '70s, '80s, '90s ... I know them all well and I can shoot them.

But I carry my 642 Airweight everywhere, every day. Same ammo, same holster, same gun. Even what I call my "back-up" gun is a 638 Airweight, it has the same grips, sights and pretty much the same trigger. And uses the same ammo and holster. The 642 is a Performance Center model so it seems a "little'" smoother but not that much.

I rotate what I take to the range to shoot for fun, but not what I carry. My 642 feels like part of me ... I'm not leaving it at home.

·
Registered
67 Posts
After college, I found myself in a suit daily and my usual CCW (full-size 1911) was a challenged to conceal/carry.

When I could afford more than one gun, I acquired pistols of various types/sizes to accommodate,
the weather, the seasons, formal clothing requirements, and the changing circumstances presented each day.

Hiking, while carrying, in summer is a very different challenge from general winter carry or professional dress carry...
It’s too bad that the vertical shoulder holster has fallen out of favor. I used to be able to carry a full size 1911A1 or a medium frame revolver very nicely in such holsters as a winter carry option. Of course both of those options had limited round capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have several guns suitable for carry but I don't rotate them for EDC. I shoot all my guns pretty well ... some I've owned since the '70s, '80s, '90s ... I know them all well and I can shoot them.

But I carry my 642 Airweight everywhere, every day. Same ammo, same holster, same gun. Even what I call my "back-up" gun is a 638 Airweight, it has the same grips, sights and pretty much the same trigger. And uses the same ammo and holster. The 642 is a Performance Center model so it seems a "little'" smoother but not that much.

I rotate what I take to the range to shoot for fun, but not what I carry. My 642 feels like part of me ... I'm not leaving it at home.
How do you prefer to carry that Airweight? I’ve always wanted the shrouded hammer model. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't wear the same boots everyday.
If I put on a pair of toasted ostrich boots then I have to select a matching belt....and you guessed it...the toasted ostrich holster on hand here only fits my Yeet Canon.

Tomorrow it's going to be the elephant hide in antique ivory. The belt and holster are for my model 19-3 with stag grips.

If it's raining then it will be a plastic holster, rubber grips and a set of rubber shrimp boots. Sometimes in the rain I'll wear my duster with the shoulder sling on the coach gun.

In 45 years of carrying a pistol I've never had to shoot anyone...so it's really all about fashion, isn't it?
As a man with an ever growing boot collection, I can relate to this!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I carry a P365, but do vary the holster and magazine seasonally based on clothing. Personally, I don’t see any benefit to a different/larger pistol, as I want the rig to be light, snug, and entirely forgettable.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts