SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I made a change. I went from carrying a hundred some year old M1911 to a fifty some year old Combat Commander. Old habits die hard. If absolutely forced to, simply because there is no way to hide anything bigger, a Kel-Tec P3-AT. A mouse gun with me is going to be more useful than any cannon still at home in the safe.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
After rotating through diff platforms, I have changed my philosophy. My age has required me to change..recently I went out to test a few of my carry guns at 20 yards ( church defense distance ) using 3 to 4 shot drills from the holster. M&P 9 compact and PX4. I had hits outside of the 23X35 target for the first time. Ouch! Eyes, nerve issues, and joint weakness are impacting now. So I decided to go striker fired, because DA to SA or SA cond 1 are not working for me. My new carry is a GLock 17 for warm months and a M&P pro in 4.25" for winter. I had to go with longer barrels to keep my shots on target, while transitioning or moving..Which are part of my drills. I am getting good results with both of the larger pistols.
Now if I had time to spend a few more hours a week training probably would move to a smaller platform, but my old age issues would always be hanging over me..Can I hit the dang target under stress!! So I will probably stick with the larger pistols.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I rotate between a P365, P365XL w/ RMRcc, and S&W BG380. All depends on the clothing I am wearing on any given day. I carry almost exclusively AIWB.

Full size guns stay home for HD and range fun. I truly don't understand how some guys conceal a P226/1911/92 or why they'd want to with all that extra weight.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Until I got a P365 I may have carried different pistols, but all of them had the same manual-of-arms - they all were SA/DA Sig P-series (P227, P228, P229, P230) and all operated exactly the same as my first Sig - a SA/DA P226 when a LEO in the mid-80's.
When I bought a P365 I choose a non manual safety version.

·
Premium Member
39,173 Posts
One for me, and it is a 938.
Just like the old saying in a stressful time, one reverts to training.
I hope to never use it, but if I ever do. I figure it will be close and fast. I want what I have been used to, and trained with.

Reactions: DDT and ben.b

·
🎖USN / USA Retired
368 Posts
I carry guns based on where I am going and what I am doing that day just like my vehicles. I carry anywhere from a small pocket gun to a 454 Casull revolver. I may include a second handgun, an AR pistol, a rifle, or a shotgun. I drive either the Corvette convertible or the large SUV.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't rotate firearms, I have two that I select based on what I'm wearing. 90% of the time its a P229 40SW. When the wife says we need xxxx at the store and I'm too lazy to strap on a belt, it's a P365. I practice enough with both that different platforms isn't an issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have two that I carry and am proficient with, and which one I use depends on what I’m wearing, which depends on the weather! Where I live it hits 90 in the summer, and 0 or lower in the winter. My P290RS (9mm) is easy to conceal in summer clothes and my XDM40 Compact is easy to conceal in winter clothes.

I have just added a P224 that likely will replace the XDM in the pairing. Though not exact, the DAO trigger pull of the P290RS is quite similar to the DA pull on the P224. I will say though that the XDM has been perfectly reliable and is a pretty darned good gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here in TX, it gets crazy hot in the summer. I'm sure it gets just as hot in other parts of North America as well. For me, weather and situation dictate what gets carried. I agree with all of the folks saying that practice dictates how you perform, or something similar...that's why I like things like IDPA so much. You can take your EDC and use it on the clock. Is it the same stress you'd be under in a real-life situation? No. But it is stress, nonetheless, and it also has the added benefit of being in an environment where folks are watching and willing to help you get better, if you'll let them. I don't participate in IDPA anymore, but when I did, I used many different platforms and sizes, and different manual of arms. After going through a couple of matches with one, it doesn't become nearly as difficult to "master" the platform as some folks are making it out to be.

Bottom line- buy what works for you, practice with it, and be confident. If you get something else, do the same thing with that. Take all of your options with you to a range session to stay on top of them and work through any kinks/hiccups you may have. It's not that difficult if you apply a bit of common sense to your routine, and it actually can help you adapt to your situation with what you carry vs. having only one option that may be less than ideal some of the times.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I don't like calling it a carry rotation, but I carry five different pistols because I want to carry the biggest gun I can get away with no matter what I am wearing. Sometimes that's a P229 chambered in .357 SIG, other times that's a Ruger LCP II 380 when I have to deep conceal. Sometimes I want a slim pistol, other times i want to carry OWB with something that has a short handle but good capacity.

I imagine if I was only going to the range to practice it would not be practical. To your point, I likely would not be proficient with all five pistols. But I dry practice almost every day, and I have been doing that for almost ten years. When I pick up one of my guns, I don't have to think about it. The muscle memory from dry practice alone automatically reacts to get a good purchase on the pistol, align the sights and pull the trigger proficiently. Each of them is really it's own animal and can't be confused with any other. I also have various magazines for each to help tweak concealment if needed. I also practice right and left handed.

Gun accessory Trigger Gun barrel Font Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
P320 RXP Compact, 365XL, RomeoZero, RomeoOne
34 Posts
I don't necessarily rotate, my choice is dictated by what I choose to wear.
IWB under a tighter shirt it is the 365XL. Under a looser shirt it is the RXP 320 with 2 extra mags.
Under a coat I can carry even larger with another in the small of my back.
It just depends.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
For me, normal carry is a P229 (what I train most with and have mastered), and I use P238 for pocket carry (less training, but proficient).

I totally get the benefit to only training with one gun, and I passionately agree with the idea. However, in my life, I carry to live ... I do not live to carry. Life has constraints. I fully respect others with a different mindset, but to me, there's no mystery why people use different guns for EDC based on weather, attire, activity or other circumstances.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts