SIG Talk banner

81 - 100 of 164 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Free country. Carry anyway you feel comfortable with. I carry OWB or pocket. Tried appendix carry but it was not for me. Walking around it works fine. Driving, sitting, bending over not so much.
Same here. I tried it around the house. Sat down and realized my stomach wasn’t used to having a prop.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well I learned in the video of post #73 that it seems that gentleman is perfectly comfortable flagging himself every time he was holstering his g26, take a look at his muzzle and the deep body sweep of it.

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
388 Posts
Ok. Just to humor you I watched it. At no point in time did he show OWB carry? Not once.
Also his draw from appendix requires two hands, one to lift his sweatshirt and the other to draw the weapon. You think both hands are going to be free when somebody is at bad breath distance to you? His whole video is to promote his preferred method and not objective at all.
Whatever your preferred method is can you access and draw your gun with ONE hand?
If not you should reconsider things.

Here is a friend of mine demonstrating what he and we call the ‘scoop draw’.
One handed leaving the other one free to be needed to fend someone off, defend yourself or anything else. Practice practice practice it slowly. It’ll come to you. You should be able to scoop, draw and level your gun from concealment in around a second or so. A little slower is ok but in real time will still be pretty quick. It doesn’t fail.

And before you mock the ole fart in his backyard realize he’s a RVN vet with plenty of combat exp, also a UC detective for over 30yrs, former Hk instructor and swat officer. He’s BTDT
I can draw my gun one-handed, using basically the same technique in the video. It's a sound method - and certainly nothing to be "mocked".

But since you're worried (rightfully) about close contact situations where you may not have two free hands, let me ask you a question: If the assailant has you by your strong arm, can you draw your gun at 3 o'clock with your weak hand? Because I can with appendix carry...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Of note:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I can draw my gun one-handed, using basically the same technique in the video. It's a sound method - and certainly nothing to be "mocked".

But since you're worried (rightfully) about close contact situations where you may not have two free hands, let me ask you a question: If the assailant has you by your strong arm, can you draw your gun at 3 o'clock with your weak hand? Because I can with appendix carry...
Yes quite easily. I can reach around my back and draw it. In fact my grip on it would be immediately correct instead of backwards if you are drawing weak handed from AIWB.

·
Registered
942 Posts
If you sit down while carrying appendix, you are pointing the firearm at your body. When carrying @ 3:00 and higher, you're not pointing it at yourself when seated.
You can bet that in the case of an AD, the bullet will strike the leg. Several cases here in NH prove that fact. Inside or outside the possibility of a body strike is always present. Sitting or standing, a well built quality holster will not be a hazard. The issue is when the handgun is inserted or removed from the holster.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I know this is neither here nor there but since you brought it up, I don’t think that lane-splitting stuff should be legal anywhere and an automatic fault of the rider because of how dangerous it is for one, but how it seems like a lot of times when that happens and there’s an accident, they always try to blame it on the driver of the car for not being seen and I don’t think that’s right because not a lot of people expect to have some motorcycle racing down right next to them between them and the car right beside them. You’re just asking for trouble and to be honest, I’m really not in the mood to have to deal with that kind of accident because that kind of accident should just never happen in the first place but it does. I’m not saying all motorcycle riders drive like complete idiots but a lot of them do and to top it all off, it’s really makes it kind of hard to believe in that “look twice save a life stuff” when you get a lot of motorcycle riders riding the way they do and haulin’ butt between two rows of cars.

But anywho, I hope this doesn’t derail the thread or spark an argument, it’s just how I feel about it and if you, or any other motorcycle rider who drives like this disagrees with it as well then all I can say is, oh well and I hope I never het involved in one of these types of accidents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thread Drift: ^^^ Perfect illustration of a "Cager" attitude towards anyone riding on two or three wheels. Having spent 14 years as a seasonal Motor Patrol Officer during the Sturgis Classic, I've seen my share of "stupid" when it comes to all manner of vehicle operation. I can only say that when it comes to awareness levels, drivers are much less alert behind the control of their 4-wheeled vehicles than the vast majority of riders I've enountered. Done safely, lane-splitting is no more hazardous than safely drawing or holstering a handgun. I'm not a fan of appendix carry for personal comfort reasons. and frequently carry cross-draw now that I'm retired. A good quality holster, along with proper muzzle and trigger control, are key to any manner of safe firearm carry, regardless of position.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I know this is about guns pointed at your pee pee but

I can no longer lane split :cry:

My bike has a Fat Arse!!

Did a fair amount of lane splitting over the last 40+ years but only when traffic was at a standstill or VERY slow moving.. Why anyone would want me holding them up by contributing to the traffic waiting at a light 1/2 mile away as people filter through instead of me getting out of the way is strange. If there are 25 vehicles lined up at a light and 5 get through per light .. why wouldnt you want to remove some of the 25 vehicles. Lane splitting removes my vehicle from the number. Oh well .. people get the grumps about a lot of things. I spent to much time infected with grumps. On the wrong side of life expectancy I have become more a live and an let live and leave me alone kind of guy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thread Drift: ^^^ Perfect illustration of a "Cager" attitude towards anyone riding on two or three wheels. Having spent 14 years as a seasonal Motor Patrol Officer during the Sturgis Classic, I've seen my share of "stupid" when it comes to all manner of vehicle operation. I can only say that when it comes to awareness levels, drivers are much less alert behind the control of their 4-wheeled vehicles than the vast majority of riders I've enountered. Done safely, lane-splitting is no more hazardous than safely drawing or holstering a handgun. I'm not a fan of appendix carry for personal comfort reasons. and frequently carry cross-draw now that I'm retired. A good quality holster, along with proper muzzle and trigger control, are key to any manner of safe firearm carry, regardless of position.
I thought this discussion was over because I let it go even after what Mr. covert had to say in his last post regarding it but I highly disagree. I guess you’ve seen things that are not the same as what I’ve seen because even when you go talking about bike rallies, there was a town that I lived in that had a big bike rally every year and even as far as the way those people would ride in packs the way that they’d ride right on the yellow line but expect you to move out of their way so I just have a hard time believing you on that and even though it may be true that most motorcycle riders are paying more attention and having a lot more awareness than people driving cars but still, I’ve seen a lot of motorcycle riders do some pretty dumb things. Not all of them but a lot of them.

And I’m sorry but at least as far as the part about not wanting to get ran into when you’re sitting stopped, I understand that, but slicing down between two rows of vehicles is just flat out stupid. Even if it could be the other person’s fault, you’re still going to be the one to pay the price if somebody decides to change lanes and they don’t see you probably because the rider is more than likely going so much faster than they are slicing right down between the two travel lanes of cars.

I’ve seen countless videos of where that lane splitting stuff has gone terribly wrong but you know, you do what you want, you believe what you want, I don’t agree with it and I’m just glad that I live in a state that doesn’t allow it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I know this is about guns pointed at your pee pee but

I can no longer lane split :cry:

My bike has a Fat Arse!!

View attachment 394898

View attachment 394899

Did a fair amount of lane splitting over the last 40+ years but only when traffic was at a standstill or VERY slow moving.. Why anyone would want me holding them up by contributing to the traffic waiting at a light 1/2 mile away as people filter through instead of me getting out of the way is strange. If there are 25 vehicles lined up at a light and 5 get through per light .. why wouldnt you want to remove some of the 25 vehicles. Lane splitting removes my vehicle from the number. Oh well .. people get the grumps about a lot of things. I spent to much time infected with grumps. On the wrong side of life expectancy I have become more a live and an let live and leave me alone kind of guy.
I don’t know why you’re calling me a grump, I’m not being a grump at all, I just don’t agree with motorcycles being able to haul butt between two rows of cars unless perhaps those cars are stopped, which is what you said that you do anyway or very slow but I just feel that once those cars start to move that you’re taking a big risk because depending on what state you’re in that leans more towards the car or the motorcycle rider, even if it was somehow the cars fault, you’re still expecting the car to be looking out for something that doesn’t normally happen and when it does happen, it’s only by a motorcycle rider who’s riding right in the middle of the freaking road.

You can’t expect them to be automatically aware of something that doesn’t normally happen which is why if I was on a motorcycle, the only time I would ever consider lane splitting was when I’d be in stopped traffic at the stop light or whatever but I wouldn’t be trying to haul *** between two rows of cars because even if it wasn’t considered my fault if I got hit, I still don’t wanna get hit. I still wouldn’t have this attitude that everybody is going to see me no matter what because I can’t ensure that they would.

I would just rather not take the risk in the first place but I guess that’s just me because so far everybody else that’s talked about it in this thread is only concerned about when sitting stopped and not the actual part of doing this stuff between two moving rows of cars.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I’ve seen a lot of gun owners do some pretty dumb things. Not all of them but a lot of them.

I’ve seen countless videos of where that gun shooting stuff has gone terribly wrong but you know, you do what you want, you believe what you want, I don’t agree with it and I’m just glad that I live in a state that doesn’t allow it.

I know what you mean.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
If you want to make carrying more comfortable, lose the love handles and spare tire around your middle. I've tried both with and without the tire and find without to be much easier for carry and comfort.
That is true with almost any subject. My weight and pants size has been pretty constant for thirty years. I can feel 5 lbs extra, and it affects many things that I do on a regular basis.

Reactions: CovertCarry

·
Registered
373 Posts
I tried appendix carry for....oh...five or ten seconds....tops. If you have a bit of a belly like I do, it pushes the handle of the gun out, and the barrel in. Having the bottom of the kidex holster jab me constantly somewhere between the crotch and that leg/torso crease was just too uncomfortable. Sitting was just that much worse. Nope. Not for me.

I'm perfectly comfortable IWB at 4:30 with the P365 snug in my Crossbreed MiniTuck. I often forget it's even there.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
AIWB carry is 100% safe! Just use a quality Kydex holster, dedicated gun belt and train. All will be well and nothing else is worth discussing. This is the truth.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
AIWB carry is 100% safe! Just use a quality Kydex holster, dedicated gun belt and train. All will be well and nothing else is worth discussing. This is the truth.
In may in fact be as you say. However you are still breaking one of the cardinal rules by doing so. ‘Never point your weapon at anything you’re not willing to destroy’.

81 - 100 of 164 Posts