SIG Talk banner

61 - 80 of 164 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
It's good to see that your lack of knowledge and experience with the method doesn't hold you back from sharing your opinion. :rolleyes:

AIWB works fine with any kind of untucked shirt. Sweaters, t-shirts, button downs -- it doesn't matter. It's not restricted to hoodies (I don't even own any). It works with any style of dress that you can use with any other IWB or OWB holster set up.

As far as physical damage, if someone can hit me hard enough to rupture an organ, then that's more than enough threat of deadly bodily harm. If anything, having a gun/holster is going to disperse the force of the blow rather than leave it concentrated on the attacker's fist, so it's actually more likely to produce less harm than more. (Whether it's at 1 o'clock, 4 o'clock, or 5 o'clock. It's this little thing called "physics" and force dynamics.)
Well, what if you dress like an adult, and don't want to look like a slob, with your shirt un tucked? You still need a top layer; a hoodie was an example. I don't speak or dress Walmart. After they hit you, than you could consider it a possibility of great bodily harm. Have you ever seen "the knockout game"? What if there were some morons that started a "gut punch" game. Maybe your Spidey sense would alert you in advance. Let's say you are walking from the supermarket building to your car, and have bags in one hand, and your young daughter's hand in the other, because it's a parking lot, and some jabroni in between cars, jumps out and punches you in the bread basket? You're so fast, and have 100% awareness, that when your daughter is asking you if you can stop for ice cream on the way home, and you look down and smile and answer her, that you can account for every person in the parking lot? Must be nice to be a superhero and know when and where any possibility of danger could come from. Imagine the same scenario, only the attacker jumps out with a bat and swings at your torso? Assuming you didn't already lose consciousness, are you going to be able to decide quickly, to pull or secure your kid? Appendix carry holsters are like Hallmark holidays, just another way to make money. Just about as stupid as the chest carry harness holster, that as a civilian, has no practicality, in day to day life. Or the people that spent the money on those specialized concealed carry t-shirts with built in gun pocket. I'm going to design an athletic supporter holster, so people like you can kill two birds with one stone; have a stupid place to carry a gun, and with the barrel down one leg, look like you're not hung like a hamster.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, what if you dress like an adult, and don't want to look like a slob, with your shirt un tucked? You still need a top layer; a hoodie was an example. I don't speak or dress Walmart. After they hit you, than you could consider it a possibility of great bodily harm. Have you ever seen "the knockout game"? What if there were some morons that started a "gut punch" game. Maybe your Spidey sense would alert you in advance. Let's say you are walking from the supermarket building to your car, and have bags in one hand, and your young daughter's hand in the other, because it's a parking lot, and some jabroni in between cars, jumps out and punches you in the bread basket? You're so fast, and have 100% awareness, that when your daughter is asking you if you can stop for ice cream on the way home, and you look down and smile and answer her, that you can account for every person in the parking lot? Must be nice to be a superhero and know when and where any possibility of danger could come from. Imagine the same scenario, only the attacker jumps out with a bat and swings at your torso? Assuming you didn't already lose consciousness, are you going to be able to decide quickly, to pull or secure your kid? Appendix carry holsters are like Hallmark holidays, just another way to make money. Just about as stupid as the chest carry harness holster, that as a civilian, has no practicality, in day to day life. Or the people that spent the money on those specialized concealed carry t-shirts with built in gun pocket. I'm going to design an athletic supporter holster, so people like you can kill two birds with one stone; have a stupid place to carry a gun, and with the barrel down one leg, look like you're not hung like a hamster.

If someone punches me in the holster, they will break their hand. They just hit a kydex and steel block attached to my belt. Kinda like an armored plate? Actually, lets just do an experiment. You punch someone in the gut. Tell us how your hand feels. Then punch them in the gut when they have a metal brick in their belt. Tell us how your hand feels. What makes you think it would be more of an issue if they hit you there? The physics were explained earlier. Having an object there, will distribute the force across the footprint of the object in question and hurt you less, as well as hurting the attacker in the process. It is literally a WIN WIN if you get punched in the AIWB. I don't see a single downside.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
If someone punches me in the holster, they will break their hand. They just hit a kydex and steel block attached to my belt. Kinda like an armored plate? Actually, lets just do an experiment. You punch someone in the gut. Tell us how your hand feels. Then punch them in the gut when they have a metal brick in their belt. Tell us how your hand feels. What makes you think it would be more of an issue if they hit you there? The physics were explained earlier. Having an object there, will distribute the force across the footprint of the object in question and hurt you less, as well as hurting the attacker in the process. It is literally a WIN WIN if you get punched in the AIWB. I don't see a single downside.
Sounds wonderful. I have been learned. Thanks to the lesson, I will now be applying to NASA for my second career.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Reholstering appendix carried guns are usually done by pulling the holster out of your pants, putting the gun in then reinstalling the holster.

The time delay is why I hate to see someone at a class appendix carrying, it wstes time that the rest of the students could be learning.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Reholstering appendix carried guns are usually done by pulling the holster out of your pants, putting the gun in then reinstalling the holster.

The time delay is why I hate to see someone at a class appendix carrying, it wstes time that the rest of the students could be learning.
I’ve never seen that in all my classes with Travis Haley, Mike Seeklander, Mike Glover, who are nationally known trainers, or in my years of USPSA and NRA Bianchi matches to name a few examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
559 Posts
These discussions like the "what carry ammo" often get contentious and I never can figure out why. Your life your choice. I believe that "Mexican Carry" is carry without a holster. Dont know how the name originated or why it is exlusivly named after our southern neighbors but I am about 99.9% sure it means jamming a gun into your belt sans holster.

Not really whats being discussed here .. I dont think.

as far as the punch to the gut game ... I already posted that I came off a motorcyle at about 25 miles an hour in a turn and landed straight on my gut with gun in a holster appendix carry. No ruptured anything, no bang nothing but hurt feelings for falling down for only the second time in about 30 years.

I am not a baggy pants hoodie person. I am a dude pressing 60. I have taken to wearing a motorcycle jacket even in the summer when riding. While it is HIGHLY unlikely that I will have need for my firearm while riding the fact is it is HIGHLY unlikely that any of us will have need to draw down if they are not a LEO so we carry for the "what ifs"

Motorcycle jackets by design are usually tight around the waist. There are exceptions but most are built that way. I could NEVER access a firearm that was under the jacket at 4 oclock were I sitting at a light or even walking through a parking lot with my jacket zipped. I can however suck my gut in, lift the front of my jacket and draw my weapon from appendix while seated on my motorcycle fairly quickly.

Will a scenario ever present itself where I might have need to do that .. probably not. I am after all on a pretty quick maneuverable vehicle and you have to decide if your bike is worth dying or killing over but ... ya never know.

When I was a very young guy .. I got caught in one of the worst sections of Brooklyn right in the middle of the 1976 NYC blackout on a motorcycle. Look it up. Had to Mad max my way out of there. Sometimes things happen.

In the end though .. I find it amusing when the gun crowd who bellow about freedoms ... want to negate someone elses.

To each there own. Appendix carry is more inherently dangerous ... be careful, assess your needs and carry on appropriately.

Unless I am drawing my weapon on a threat .. hasnt happened .. I holster the gun pre panting

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I know this is neither here nor there but since you brought it up, I don’t think that lane-splitting stuff should be legal anywhere and an automatic fault of the rider because of how dangerous it is for one, but how it seems like a lot of times when that happens and there’s an accident, they always try to blame it on the driver of the car for not being seen and I don’t think that’s right because not a lot of people expect to have some motorcycle racing down right next to them between them and the car right beside them. You’re just asking for trouble and to be honest, I’m really not in the mood to have to deal with that kind of accident because that kind of accident should just never happen in the first place but it does. I’m not saying all motorcycle riders drive like complete idiots but a lot of them do and to top it all off, it’s really makes it kind of hard to believe in that “look twice save a life stuff” when you get a lot of motorcycle riders riding the way they do and haulin’ butt between two rows of cars.

But anywho, I hope this doesn’t derail the thread or spark an argument, it’s just how I feel about it and if you, or any other motorcycle rider who drives like this disagrees with it as well then all I can say is, oh well and I hope I never het involved in one of these types of accidents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Statistics are on my side. Reasonable lane sharing that is 15-25mph faster than traffic while traffic is 50mph or slower, is safer than pretending motorcycles are cars.

Following your reasoning is how politicians try to ban or greatly restrict gun ownership.

I’ve split or shared lanes in cities, on freeways, and in highways. Every state should make it legal just to free up traffic congestion.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Statistics are on my side. Reasonable lane sharing that is 15-25mph faster than traffic while traffic is 50mph or slower, is safer than pretending motorcycles are cars.

Following your reasoning is how politicians try to ban or greatly restrict gun ownership.

I’ve split or shared lanes in cities, on freeways, and in highways. Every state should make it legal just to free up traffic congestion.
Just curious...what statistics are you referring to?

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I don’t know if appendix carry is all the rage. But carry whatever way is best for you to get a clean draw or whatever is comfortable or whatever conceals the best.

However you conceal carry the muzzle is toward a body part. The difference in having the gun in hand and pointing it at your junk is that in hand the trigger is exposed. In the holster it’s not.

What body part is my muzzle pointing at when I carry OWB at 3-4 o’clock? It’s not.

·
Registered
Sig P226, M400 TREAD, P220, P365XL, P227R, P228
388 Posts
What body part is my muzzle pointing at when I carry OWB at 3-4 o’clock? It’s not.
Did you watch the video posted at response #22? (Which included photos of self-inflicted wounds from 3 and 4 o’clock carry?) 🤔

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Did you watch the video posted at response #22? (Which included photos of self-inflicted wounds from 3 and 4 o’clock carry?) 🤔
Don’t need to. I’ve carried for more than 30yrs in a quality OWB forward cant leather holster (still have some originals). Gun is not pointing at anything other than the ground.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don’t care about statistics because where are those statistics gonna be when you get smacked on the highway from someone not seeing you? You’ll become part of the other “statistic”.

No. Just straight up no. That’s not even nowhere near the same thing. For one thing, lane-splitting is not a constitutional right like gun rights are. Nice try.

For what, the few motorcycles on the road?? How does that help the automobile traffic?

Hopefully the screwball republic of California’s the only state that foolishly allows that craziness.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Ok. Just to humor you I watched it. At no point in time did he show OWB carry? Not once.
Also his draw from appendix requires two hands, one to lift his sweatshirt and the other to draw the weapon. You think both hands are going to be free when somebody is at bad breath distance to you? His whole video is to promote his preferred method and not objective at all.
Whatever your preferred method is can you access and draw your gun with ONE hand?
If not you should reconsider things.

Here is a friend of mine demonstrating what he and we call the ‘scoop draw’.
One handed leaving the other one free to be needed to fend someone off, defend yourself or anything else. Practice practice practice it slowly. It’ll come to you. You should be able to scoop, draw and level your gun from concealment in around a second or so. A little slower is ok but in real time will still be pretty quick. It doesn’t fail.

And before you mock the ole fart in his backyard realize he’s a RVN vet with plenty of combat exp, also a UC detective for over 30yrs, former Hk instructor and swat officer. He’s BTDT

·
Registered
190 Posts
And before you mock the ole fart in his backyard realize he’s a RVN vet with plenty of combat exp, also a UC detective for over 30yrs, former Hk instructor and swat officer. He’s BTDT[/QUOTE]

Looks pretty solid. I’d just get the gun up in front of my eyes if possible. That draw looks a little Gunsmoke-y but I get the concept.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I don’t care about statistics because where are those statistics gonna be when you get smacked on the highway from someone not seeing you? You’ll become part of the other “statistic”.

No. Just straight up no. That’s not even nowhere near the same thing. For one thing, lane-splitting is not a constitutional right like gun rights are. Nice try.

For what, the few motorcycles on the road?? How does that help the automobile traffic?

Hopefully the screwball republic of California’s the only state that foolishly allows that craziness.

Utah does it to. Statistics show what works better for safety. Using feelings over statistics and facts is the basis for gun bans. Look it up. Studies show that motorcycles filtering through traffic reduce congestion.

My odds of getting rear ended or merged into are higher than getting hit while splitting. Don’t get mad. Just accept you aren’t willing to risk being safe.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Utah does it to. Statistics show what works better for safety. Using feelings over statistics and facts is the basis for gun bans. Look it up. Studies show that motorcycles filtering through traffic reduce congestion.

My odds of getting rear ended or merged into are higher than getting hit while splitting. Don’t get mad. Just accept you aren’t willing to risk being safe.
It’s only under certain circumstances where Utah allows it but it’s still stupid. You may be “safer” in a sense from being hit from behind but that’s not the point. Getting hit from a car who’s changing lanes that doesn’t see you is the risk factor you should be seeing rather than some silly statistic of being hit from behind while being stopped.

But you know, there’s “studies” out there that “claim” all sorts of crap so am I expected to believe that, too? No. But hey, it’s your life so if you get hit, whizzing between two moving vehicles, it’s your fault. I have no reason to get mad, except being angry from your bike scraping the side of my vehicle from you doing something stupid and unsafe.

And even if you do somehow prove it’s the other person’s fault which- I don’t see how, that’s not how the road was meant to be used, you’re still gonna pay the painful price.

Good luck to you, man.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Seriously I don't see an issue with appendix carrying if the firearm is carried in a quality fitting holster.

Reactions: CovertCarry

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
It’s only under certain circumstances where Utah allows it but it’s still stupid. You may be “safer” in a sense from being hit from behind but that’s not the point. Getting hit from a car who’s changing lanes that doesn’t see you is the risk factor you should be seeing rather than some silly statistic of being hit from behind while being stopped.

But you know, there’s “studies” out there that “claim” all sorts of crap so am I expected to believe that, too? No. But hey, it’s your life so if you get hit, whizzing between two moving vehicles, it’s your fault. I have no reason to get mad, except being angry from your bike scraping the side of my vehicle from you doing something stupid and unsafe.

And even if you do somehow prove it’s the other person’s fault which- I don’t see how, that’s not how the road was meant to be used, you’re still gonna pay the painful price.

Good luck to you, man.

It’s ok. I appreciate your concern. I have eyes and brakes. My friend has more titanium than his bike because a lady claimed she didn’t see him stopped at the light. I have had multiple cars over the years, try to merge into me while I’m in my own lane next to them. Safest place to be is away from traffic and other drivers. Lane splitting keeps me ahead of them. Going 5-10 faster than traffic is my general rule on a bike as well to keep crazies from crashing into me.

On the plus side, now you know what it feels like to be anti-gun. I have statistics, the entire motorcycle California Highway Patrol, personal experience, and now the state of “Zero Fatalities is our goal” Utah. You have feelings and emotions.

We should stop before irrational behavior emerges. I’m willing to call it. I promise to slow down when you start changing lanes if you promise to check your mirrors and your blind spots before changing lanes. This way we will never meet on the road.

61 - 80 of 164 Posts