SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try appendix carry now that it is all the rage, but I can’t get past the fact that you explicitly violate one of the four safety pillars in a major way! So help me understand: Why is it ok to point a gun at yourself when appendix carrying???

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,004 Posts
Why is holstering a handgun in an appendix holster any different than holstering a handgun in a IWB holster at 3 or 4 O'clock? You're not pointing the gun at yourself either way.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
If you sit down while carrying appendix, you are pointing the firearm at your body. When carrying @ 3:00 and higher, you're not pointing it at yourself when seated.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I don’t know if appendix carry is all the rage. But carry whatever way is best for you to get a clean draw or whatever is comfortable or whatever conceals the best.

However you conceal carry the muzzle is toward a body part. The difference in having the gun in hand and pointing it at your junk is that in hand the trigger is exposed. In the holster it’s not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
753 Posts
I want to try appendix carry now that it is all the rage, but I can’t get past the fact that you explicitly violate one of the four safety pillars in a major way! So help me understand: Why is it ok to point a gun at yourself when appendix carrying???
Because guns don't fire themselves, no matter what anybody says.

The "4 rules" applies to having a gun IN YOUR HAND(S), and preparing to shoot. If "pointing a gun" is the concern, every individual who goes near a gun display will be "muzzled" or "flagged" or whatever the current term is. As stated, carry a gun the way YOU are comfortable with carrying a gun.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Interesting thread. I don’t carry IWB anywhere but SOB, just because it’s the most comfortable to me. YMMV. Could be body type, or maybe all those decades wearing a tool belt makes OWB more comfortable. I don’t think I’ve ever heard the explanation for the AIWB position. Comfort or concealment?

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Everyone is familiar with the term “glock leg” that’s been around for a few decades now and it mainly started with police officers who were transitioning from revolvers to auto loading handguns shooting them selves in the leg because of poor handling while holstering. It didn’t really matter what gun they were using it was a lack of training and proper trigger discipline that caused the negligent discharges.
Point is it really doesn’t matter what position you choose, if you handle the gun safety you’ll be just fine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Industry will try to sell you what ever they want and they will always present it like it's something new and the best, but I simply just don't buy it.
No appendix cary, no fancy lights or red dots on my guns and I can still defend myself and my family.
My eyes are getting older and maybe the red dot will be and option for me.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Appendix carry is nothing new - it's been around since people first started carrying handguns on their belt.

You should carry however you choose to, however it feels safe for you.

For me, I have no concerns whatsoever about carrying about a properly de-cocked DA/SA hammer gun, in a proper holster, and having it spontaneously 'go off' while carrying AIWB.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It does allow a slightly quicker draw but I just don't possibly see how it's comfortable. I've tried it and sure standing it's great but the moment you sit on the couch, get in a car, etc. forget about it.

And yeah overall a gun in a holster isn't subject to the same handling requirements. Shoulder holsters point it at the person behind you, for example.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had the same question for a while, and decided that it makes no sense for me to have a muzzle aimed at my leg, abdomen, etc. Even if people say that I'm doing the same with my 4:00 IWB, I'd rather have it pointed at my buttocks than my femoral artery or my femur.

YMMV.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I’ve considered appendix but I just don’t see how that can be comfortable especially when in a seated position all day like me, who drives a semi. I’ve talked to people who drive for a living but I just don’t see how they do it. That, and just having a loaded gun pointed at me. I know that guns don’t go off by themselves but that’s not it, it’s the holstering that could get ya. Even when someone mentioned Glock Leg.... that primarily happens when holstering. The striker control device helps but just like with the hammer on a hammer-fired gun, remembering to press your thumb against the hammer or SCD is what’ll save you if that trigger snags on anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Over and over, it's been proven the male of the species tends to think with his testis rather than what passes for his brain. This should be proof enough the little guys would be smart enough to leap out of the way when dangerous things approach at high speed - or is that a stretch? And at any speed if the object of one's attention is wearing feminine attire and/or possess certain positive feminine attributes. That there would obviously present more risk than appendix carry.

What were we talking about again?

·
Registered
488 Posts
There are probably a ba-zillion gun owners carrying appendix or IWB... how many times do you hear of someone shooting themselves in the nuts!? The best thing to do is practice the following with an UNLOADED pistol until comfortable.

When holstering IWB and AIWB....
  1. Always keep you finger off the trigger until ready to shoot
  2. Buy a gun with a safety (if that helps) and practice rule number 1
  3. Not comfortable with inserting the pistol while wearing the holster; remove the holster, insert the pistol with safety on and practice rule number 1 - reinsert holster in waistband.
  4. Inserting a pistol into IWB while wearing the holster; do a visible check and make sure nothing is obstructing the inside of a holster like a loose shirt or your underwear, make sure your safety (optional) is on and practice rule number 1
  5. If still not comfortable with IWB carry ... carry OWB (point # 4 still applies)
  6. ABOVE all.. always LOOK and do not rush reholstering your weapon into any holster
NOTE: if you have a DA hammer fired pistol, you can place your thumb over the hammer as a precaution when reholstering.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts