SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
16,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is getting old. Money, money, money - it's always more money...:(

Had to replace the rings on my SSG. Burris Signatures to grab another 20 MOA since the SSG has a fixed rail scope mount on the receiver. Also moved from low to mediums.

Re-Mounted the scope and sighted it in on the deadbolt lock on my front door, down the hall from my bedroom.

Went to the range last Saturday to dial it in. Winds were predicted to be light. When we left Clovis, it was near calm. When we got to the range - 35 miles south - it was breezy but due west and my range is due west. Once we took paper down range and got setup, winds shifted and were gusting to 30 mph - just that fast.:( I decided to do what I could. Imagine my astonishment when my cold bore shot elevation was dead-on! Several follow-up shots verified I had elevation right on. Unfortunately, there was no way to dial windage in with the gusting and it was getting worse as time passed. Did about 20 rounds and yielded.

Headed back out this morning to dial it in. I shoot M118LR. Last I found was roughly $1.25 a round.

Always more money! :D

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Keep your eye out at Palmetto State Armory. They regularly have sales on FGMM 175's in 308 and 7.62 for $.99 a round and free shipping if you buy 10 boxes. Out to 300 yards I can use the same dope with either of these that I use on M118LR and actually get a bit tighter groups. Out of stock right now but they have been doing this sale pretty regular.

· Premium Member
16,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Better make em count at that price!:eek:
I'd say I'm satisfied. Winds were 8-14 from south and variable. Shooting prone.

Shot this after zero:
Four rounds
First round right [wind push]
Second round left [four clicks to into wind]
Two rounds stacked bulls [backed out two clicks]

Two bulls are a bit high but that's the shooter, not the gun/ammo/scope.

The holes in the right target post at 500 speak for themselves - damn --- :(

Wind started gathering strength so we packed it up after my RSO hammered the criap out of the 200 steel with his AR.

MLC7 - sounds right... Too bad you missed being here Wednesday - winds topped 70 mph...:mad:

Attachments

· Premium Member
16,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep your eye out at Palmetto State Armory. They regularly have sales on FGMM 175's in 308 and 7.62 for $.99 a round and free shipping if you buy 10 boxes. Out to 300 yards I can use the same dope with either of these that I use on M118LR and actually get a bit tighter groups. Out of stock right now but they have been doing this sale pretty regular.
I watch PSA and a few others pretty close when I think I need to consider re-stocking. Right now, Target Sports has some M118LR bulk 500 boxes for $599.95 [$1.20 per round] with free ship.

I'm still good on stock but if it comes down some - I'll buy. Funny, wasn't that long ago I could find it in stock fairly easy [not today] and as low as $82 per round in bulk.

Hopefully, before long we can see the government hoarding end and see it back to reasonable pricing.

Only real problem shooting 7.62X51 is ---- money.

· Premium Member
16,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Find a competent instructor and take a wind reading class.
The up front cost will be small compared to the money saved in missed shots.
:D I'll do that... Appreciate the suggestion...;)

· Registered
83 Posts
Also, consider taking up reloading.
It's not that difficult and, if done right, can really make a difference between a hit and a miss.... It also allows you to maximize performance of this specific rifle....particularly if you're lobbing .30 cal rounds.
Unfortunately, these tend to have the ballistic coefficient of a cabbage.... Or maybe a turnip.
Newer bullets from Nosler, Sierra and Hornady, with better ballistic coefficients, will allow you to eek out the last bit of performance of your rounds.
Learning how to read wind using a .308 will make you a much better shot once you move to a better, wind-cheating round in 6 or 6.5 families.... There's really no comparison in the performance of these to the .30cal.
Just my $.02..... Worth everything you've paid for it.

· Premium Member
16,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, consider taking up reloading.
It's not that difficult and, if done right, can really make a difference between a hit and a miss.... It also allows you to maximize performance of this specific rifle....particularly if you're lobbing .30 cal rounds.
Unfortunately, these tend to have the ballistic coefficient of a cabbage.... Or maybe a turnip.
Newer bullets from Nosler, Sierra and Hornady, with better ballistic coefficients, will allow you to eek out the last bit of performance of your rounds.
Learning how to read wind using a .308 will make you a much better shot once you move to a better, wind-cheating round in 6 or 6.5 families.... There's really no comparison in the performance of these to the .30cal.
Just my $.02..... Worth everything you've paid for it.
Hmm. I do appreciate you taking time to offer suggestions. I am kinda curious why you think I need help though.

I posted a target with four shots on it, in variable winds, that has two [first and second] shots that are sub-moa, and two [third and fourth] shots that are stacked - less than 1/32nd of an inch center to center.

Where I sure don't know it all, I've been a firearms instructor since 1976 have shot competitions since the mid-60's and was the second highest shooter in NM State championships in 1967, just before visiting "a foreign country" for a while.

As to reloading, I chose not to reload any more rifle. My comment regarding cost of M118LR is the comparison of what I was paying before the Obama administration artificially inflated the cost of ammunition.

At any rate, I do appreciate your observations. I'm just trying to understand where you seem to believe I'm lagging behind...;)

Attachments

· Registered
7,298 Posts

Steve, I think your shooting's definitely one primer short of a misfire.

You would definitely benefit from subscribing to online training videos such as those on Sniper's Hide, to enhance your online tacticalicity.

Why fall short of being a true warrier? :lol:

Reactions: SteveAikens

· Registered
83 Posts
Hey, if you're happy with your results-and they are commendable, the expense and time suck that is reloading should be probably be avoided!
I guess my personal experience shooting .308 in field/sniper matches for the better part of 8 years has taught me that factory ammo, while consistent and sometimes acceptable, still didn't yield the best results for me or my shooting partners. There are also newer bullets that have better BCs that have yet to make it into factory loads.
I was shooting factory-stock and customized actions and barrels and fought the wind the whole time- particularly at ranges that test the limits of the .308....800-1200yds. Reloading allowed me to eek out the last bit of performance of that round.
Shooting matches like the Steel Safari, in your fair state, can be a soul-crushing exercise when dealin with longer-range targets in crazy-inconsistent-swirling-frustrating-as-hell New Mexico winds!
I'd be curious to hear how your accuracy holds at longer distances in your winds.

· Premium Member
16,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shooting matches like the Steel Safari, in your fair state, can be a soul-crushing exercise when dealin with longer-range targets in crazy-inconsistent-swirling-frustrating-as-hell New Mexico winds!
I'd be curious to hear how your accuracy holds at longer distances in your winds.
Fair question.

I do ok at 1000 on my private range. Steel at 200, 500, 800 & 1000.

ADDED: I put paper at 100 and 200 for zero.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Fair question.

I do ok at 1000 on my private range. Steel at 200, 500, 800 & 1000.

ADDED: I put paper at 100 and 200 for zero.
Me thinks Steve can shoot!:cool: I understand the reasoning for sticking with factory loads, I have reloaded since the mid 70's but just don't have the time to reload all the rounds I want to shoot. I'd rather spend the time I have available pulling the trigger instead of the handle. If good factory ammo will get you on steel at a 1,000 then what more could a guy want!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.