SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Why go with Sig romeo1 pro when Delta point pro is better?

23K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  phil.daugherty 
#1 ·
Today while installing the battery I did everything that I was supposed to do I pressed down the battery cap went counterclockwise until I heard a click then turned clockwise to tighten it and no matter what I did would not tighten I finally ended up deciding I have to send this back to sig.

My Delta point pro which I have on my other X5 legion the battery cap is so easy you just hit a button the battery cap flips up it's magnetized so you stick the battery there shut it and lock it there is no threads to strip I can't believe sig has came out with such a crappy design I am never going to buy the Romeo one ever unfortunately it came stock on my p226 legion so I'm kind of stuck with it with that gun.

For those who bought the Romeo 1 pro that came with your sig 226 lesion for instance I noticed that from the factory the battery cap has marks tool marks

#3 ·
I've got my fair share of red dots. Vortex, Sig Romeo and Romeo Pro, DPP, Trijicon RMR type I and II. In my opinion, the Trijicon RMR Type II is by far and away the best option. Nothing else is even close. I've put mine through its paces to be sure. This is an excellent overview of one and really touches on some of the reasons it's the standard:

#4 ·
Jay, that's an awesome review. Loved how he used it as a hammer to demonstrate its durability!

I'm not sure I'm ready to replace my R1P's with Trijicon RMR Type II though. For home defense I don't need to take it 20 feet under water or use it as a hammer (though I love the robustness - R1P wouldn't survive the review's treatment). Plus I'm not a fan of removing a RMR from a firearm to replace the battery. However, the auto-adjust brightness feature may be worth the 75% upcharge vs R1P in a tough spot - I've not been happy fiddling with R1P dot brightness in simulated home defense drills.

Excellent thought provoker - thank you!

#5 ·
Plus I'm not a fan of removing a RMR from a firearm to replace the battery.
No doubt. Definitely a con but it's a good reason why it's so durable. I find the battery life to be incredible though and to be honest zeroing after replacing, wasn't anything really. It's my understanding that Trijicon has a patent for the cat ear type shroud and concave glass which are other variables in its indestructible nature. According to this article they filed the patent in 2009 which means more than 7 more years of raking in the cash. https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/trijicon-accuses-holosun-patent-infringement-over-rmr-sro/

#8 ·
Just here to plug the Holosun 508T. Aaron over at Sage Dynamics has tested the **** out of that optic and it's held up better than anything (pretty close if not tied to the venerable Trijicon RMR). He's also tested the Romeo 1 if you want to take a look.

Also, if you want to enter the world of enclosed emitters, the 509T is also a fantastic optic, but might require doubling up on plates. Otherwise, CHWPS probably has a Romeo to 509T conversion plate.

#10 ·
You won't regret the Delta, I have one on my favorite SIG and I started out with the Romeo 1, but after the reticle moving and the finish on the Romeo chipping and peeling I switched. No problems whatsoever with the DPP. I looked at my friends AXG and he has a HOLOSUN HE508 with the nice circle reticle...I prefer the open window red dot when shooting.

#12 ·
There are pros and cons to the R1P and DPP. I have both, along with several Holosuns (509T, 508T, 507c, 507k).

I like the DPP for the much larger window, but the cons to me are the much higher deck height (which then requires much higher iron sights even for a low cowitness) and the single button for brightness adjustment. When pressing the button, it blocks the emitter so that you can't actually see the dot getting brighter or dimmer. On the range, it's much easier to adjust the R1P to the appropriate brightness level, on the fly.

So I use them for different situations: DPP, without irons, for USPSA style events. R1P with matching Sig suppressor height sights for more tactical classes. All personal preference.

#13 · (Edited)
I have two Romeo 1 Pros because that's what came on two of my pistols. They have both worked well, I haven't had any issues with replacing the battery and so far at least, I have no reason to replace them - they do what they are designed to do and the MOTAC works reliably.

Disclaimer - I don't bounce them off concrete tiles, so what do I know...

#15 ·
I have a DPP among other red dots and it’s great, but the battery cover for me is a real dog to close. I’m sure it’s just mine, but still…

Having to take the red dot off to change the battery is just bad design, IMO. I don’t mind zeroing my red dot, In fact, I rather like it. I hate the 24 hr period waiting for the Loctite to cure. I use it on all my red dots.

#18 ·
I’ve been on the fence about this also, I’m going to go with the Leupold as it is going on a gun for USPSA and my last carry optics gun had a DPP, I’ve got a P226 Legion RX SAO, that has a Romeo 1 on it so I’m familiar with that also. The items weighing on my decision are battery life, adjustment position and battery size, battery life and adjustment goes to the Romeo, but size goes to the Leupold, but for me it came down to the fact that one of my shooting buddies has had to warranty his Romeo a couple of times because it quit just because of rounds down range, My RX has had not problems, but it is not a competition gun and doesn’t get a ton of rounds a year and is pretty much my suppressor host.

#22 ·
I went with the DPP on my M18 and love the optic. On target just like Irons for me. The cost was close so not enough to swing my decision either way. Now the new EoTech EFLEX looks very interesting. Having a NV setting on the optic might have been the thing that sealed the deal. Not just saving the $75-$80. I look forward to seeing it first hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.