SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering for the past couple of months on this topic and I wanted to finally post a topic on it. I know that Sig has the P232 and the P238 in 380 Auto, but why not a polymer striker fired handgun? With the introduction of the P320 and its modularity, why not make a 380 Auto version of it. Yes the 9mm pistols are much better to handle than other higher power cartridges, but there might be some people that need the lower recoil of the 380. Most other companies have at least 1 380 in their collection, but Sig has not entered that arena yet. Even the P365 would be a good platform for a 380 version. I have a P365 and it is snappy of course because it is a small 9mm. Would 380, make it more shootable for those that need that lower recoil?

Maybe I am thinking too much about it, but look for any discussion on this.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Most other companies have at least 1 380 in their collection, but Sig has not entered that arena yet.
I think you answered your own question with that statement.

These days 9mm comes in so many varieties, super hot to mild and in so many formats from the P365 to the larger P226 that the need for a small/micro 380 just isnt something SIG would make a lot of money on.

Most people who want a tiny 380 already have the S&W EZ380, Khar 380 or whatever other variant they want. SIG would be putting a "new" 380 gun into a saturated market and unless you are a die hard SIG guy/gal most wouldnt buy it UNLESS it has something super new,exciting which it likely wouldnt.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
But it was a polymer:

P250SC/.380. Its sales performance isn't going to inspired SIG to try again.
You beat me to it. And correct, it wasn't striker either. With your reference to the P250SC .380 SIG should not be inspired to produce anything plastic again. IMHO the P250 was hardly a success. To me it was a 'compromise' at best. I liked the P250 SC .45 for a special purpose.

Back to the OP's question. Personally think it would be a hard sell. Most people looking at a .380 would not be looking for something modular. A large part of the sale of .380s are to first time gun owners and IMHO a hammer fired gun would be a much better choice.

Personally, I don't like plastic guns, and like striker fired guns even less.

YMMV

·
Registered
652 Posts
As size is no longer a concern with making a .380 (how much smaller than a P365 is really reasonable?), then your only valid reason is the recoil.

Simple solution; subsonic 9mm ammo.

Subsonic ammo has less charge powder and is designed to make the round slower for suppressor use for a quieter result... but as it can be fired from a non-suppressed pistol also, the net result is pretty much the same as .380 ammo for a 9mm pistol.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
As others have suggested, I just don't think there are that many persuasive arguments for .380 anymore.

From a pistol size standpoint, there's little if any advantage any more, which used to be one of the 380's big pluses. The P365 and it's burgeoning imitators have taken the rug out from under that argument.

From a cost standpoint, 9mm is less expensive.

Recoil can largely be mitigated by ammo choice.

So, you're left with a round that is more expensive, less effective and offers no real concealment advantage. I can see why Sig wouldn't bother at this point.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All of the replies are very good discussion points. I got rid of my .380 years ago (Walther PPKS) simply because I did not want another caliber in my collection. Same with my .40S&W guns. While it would be nice to see one, I agree that the marketability of a new .380 just would not really make it.

I thought about the subsonic ammo as well to help with recoil. I will have to see how my other half can handle that.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’d like to see the 365 in .380 and wouldn’t hesitate to buy it. I’d also be ok with similar dimensions to the 9 with room for 1 or 2 more rounds in the flush mount mag. I understand it’s a saturated market but why not add another dog to the fight? I think there’d be plenty profitability there.

·
Banned
1,197 Posts
Anyone claiming their 9mm is 'the same size' as a modern micro .380 is smoking something (and probably lied on their form 4473).

Current day 9mms have slimmed down to old school compact .380s (like a PPK, for example), but they still aren't even close to the modern .380 pocket pistols that are in vogue today like the LCP, Pico, TCP, P3AT, Bodyguard ETC

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/sig-sauer-p365-vs-kel-tec-p-3at

Look at the photos in the above link -Let's take an example where size *REALLY* matters. To put it simply, which gun would you rather have shoved where the sun don't shine? :eek: I doubt anyone is going to vote, "Doesn't matter, they are the same size. Flip a coin to decide while I bend over"

I think the P3AT is UNDER 9 ounces unloaded. The Sig P365 weighs more than double that. A P3AT will fit in my pajama pocket. A P365 will take them straight to the floor. Both easy to conceal? Absolutely. They certainly aren't quite on the same level, however.

.380's still have their place but their usefulness isn't in things like the Shield-EZ or re-tooled P365. It's in the ultra compact "I can only fit 1 and a half fingers on this" category.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I always kinda figured Sig didn't make a 380 was because it marketed to mainly adult males … and well …. :eek:...:lol: (just kidding, just kidding, couldn't resist)

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
12,049 Posts
Because you can get a 9mm about the same size as a 380.

Reactions: Panzerschwein

·
Registered
252 Posts
They have figured out the best solution for 9mm EDC and at this time dominate the marketplace. Why now educate the consumer what shall be better in a 380. To me is an obsolete caliber.

·
Registered
11,441 Posts
I see no issues with the .380 ACP....have 2 Walther PPK/S and a P238......most self defense issues occur, 3-10' away.....even a .22 LR is effective.....

Reactions: 193698
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.