226 Posts
1. Is the gun new
2. Are all of those cases +P
3. Is it jamming or malfunctioning in anyway other than destroying the cases

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it is not new, I have had it for quite a few years. No those are not +P cases. The cases are partially ejected but catch as they are on their way out. They are not stove piped but are caught lenthwise between the slide and the barrel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P238 about every 5th round will jam the case between the slide and the barrel end causing this distruction of the case. Happens with +P and any other rounds. Have changed the springs. The ejector is not damaged in anyway that I can see.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'd pull the slide off & slide a new cartridge under the extractor to check tension & spring. Also check the chamber & maybe give a good clean & polish. Other than checking that the ejector is function correctly I can't think of anything else if it happens with different rounds & magazines.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,816 Posts
Has this issue developed recently?
Which springs have you replaced?
What is the build date on this pistol?
What is the round count?
Is the sear spring stock/un-modified?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Lets speculate this: The slide is already closing when the case is at that point of ejecting and it stops the case bending it.

A number of different things could be making it do that: Low power ammo causing the slide to "short cycle," ie not run back fully on the rails; a stiff recoil spring not being fully compressed; rough chamber wall and slow extraction; dry slide rails with high friction; soft brass which doesn't release well, a sharp extractor hanging onto the brass, weak ejector action, any combination.

This leads to trying it with higher power ammo - maybe even up to +P to see if a different cycle speed changes it. If a stock recoil spring is available, switch to that while using the same ammo used previously. Checking the chamber wall for roughness, using a different rail lube, and using a completely different ammo that would have reputedly harder brass.

The trick is to only change one thing at a time.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,816 Posts
I'm having same issue, hopefully i can be helped here .
I have the same questions for you;

Has this issue developed recently?
Which springs have you replaced?
What is the build date on this pistol?
What is the round count?
Is the sear spring stock/un-modified?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Someone else had this exact sake issue - I thought it was these forums that the person showed the same brass deformation... I could be wrong.

People had a bunch of theories as to what caused it... I'll link it if I find it again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
P238.....Happens with all ammunition including +P. Changed the springs and the ejector is fine and in adjustment.
I found the thread from 7 months ago, where the person's P238 was jamming and denting the brass just like yours:
Light Gold Font Jewellery Metal

Tableware Liquid Drinkware Beer Fluid

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts