SIG Talk banner

Why did you get a Sig Sauer gun? Your first....

12387 165
So I have been trying to remember what made me pick a Sig Sauer. I’m pretty sure it was simply because I knew the quality was top notch and everything I had read to that point had me convinced that was the firearm I wanted. This was back in 2007.

The first Sig I got was 226 with no rail. I bought it from a dealer out of Kentucky as I lived in New Mexico at the time and local gun dealers had no Sigs. I eventually sold it to a coworker so I could get an Elite.. still have the Elite 40:cool:
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Had my revolvers while serving at Ft Jackson SC....then relocated to the Pentagon...WDC and wanted either a Sig Sauer or a Browning auto....I settled with my P225 which turned out to be such a stellar pistol....Its been a standard of all the guns I shoot. It's the pinnacle of what makes a Sig....A SIg.
My P225 will always be my favorite Sig because it was my first.....

·
Premium Member
21,852 Posts
Back in 1990 my neighbor showed me his W. German P220–I knew I had to have one. (He also showed me his HK91 and HK93.). So fast forward to 2002 and I bought the first gen P220ST. I liked it so much I bought a P226, then a P229, then a P225, then another P229, then a P228, etc... All in all I’ve owned 19 different SIGs. I currently own 9.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Absolutely no idea. So long ago.

It was the early 90s and I just remember wanting either a P228 or a P226 as my first pistol. No idea why now, but those were the only two I was considering. Then VA became shall issue and my decision was made - the W. German P228 I CC-ed for many years.

And it ruined me. I came to love DA/SA with no safety and a high-quality and reliable decocker. It became the only safety I ever needed or wanted. And then came the strikers. :(

Oh well, I still have her and still love her just as much. She's on the left, next to some of her younger siblings.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I saw a used 229 all stainless .357 Sig for sale on CDNN for $149. There were reviews online that said, "They are pretty beat up but at least they are Sigs." I thought that for $149, I would love to have one--so I bought one. I called CDNN and the guy that answered told me, "For xx ($5 I think), Ill hand select you one." I said "ok". He said, "Always remember and ask for Steve." It arrived in what looked to me to be brand spaking new condition. I got it and shot it and loved it--but it was expensive for me (I don't reload--back then (--maybe 2003?) I also could only loosely call myself a shooter). I had a Glock 23, a Ruger KP95 dc, a couple of revolvers, and a Kel Tec .32.) I decided that .357 Sig was pretty expensive for me and that I should get a .40 barrel--so I went to a gun show. NO ONE there had one and a dealer had a .40 229 Elite, short extractor, West German frame and offered to trade me my 229 for his and me kick in $150 more. It was labeled $999 so I thought it was a DEAL, so I made the trade. Took it to the range and I was in LOVE. It was the SRT and the bevertail that I LOVED. I had no idea what an SRT even was, I just knew that I loved it. I went home and looked up "Elite" and saw the description of the SRT. That first transition from DA to SA and the shorter reset was the beginning of my Signess.

·
🎖USAF Veteran
711 Posts
Back in about 1986 or so had got into guns, shooting and buying.
Probably bought a Ruger Mk ll, then a couple of others. Decided I needed/wanted a big 9mm. The military was trying to decide whether they wanted the P226 or the Beretta M92.
After looking at both I decided I wanted the Sig for various reasons so I still have a P226 made in West Germany. Probably will never get rid of it.
Only has about 1000 rounds thru it. Biggest problem I had with it was shooting or trying to shoot ammo I bought at a gun show because it was cheap. A friend finally pulled some apart and found it was under loaded and would not cycle properly.
He wound up with a lot of free ammo that he was able to correct.
Since then I have had a few Sigs, probably will get a P365 when available.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,058 Posts
I was a .45 man for years, primarily the M1911A1, as my early adult life was spent in the military... actually quite a bit of it! As I was reaching 20 years, I was interested in Law Enforcement, unfortunately I was getting a little "old", and too old by state law for most!

A buddy had gotten hired on a small town's department, that had a Chief who was prior military, and had no "maximum age" requirement. They had just gotten Sig P226s, so I thought it would be in my best interest, to learn the weapon. Since I had so much .45 ACP laying around, I initially got a P220. I enjoyed it almost as much as my 1911s, until I got used to the double action first shot, then enjoyed it more! Still have that P220, that I bought new in 1990, although it has "morphed" over the years...

Had also bought a P226 a couple of months after the P220, but it was stolen in a home break-in, while I was having lunch with the Chief, carrying my issued P226. I picked up my current P226 9mm shortly thereafter.

When hired on the department, the Chief found out my "lust" for firearms, and knowledge of the Sig system. He gave me a "Maremont" Sig Armorers video, to watch, and I then became the department armorer. A couple of years later went to an Armorers course, and was "certified".

I owned a Stainless P232 for a while as a back-up, then got a P225 to carry off duty. Later when the department went to .40s, and P226Rs, I followed suit, and picked one up! The others have been obtained in the past 5 years...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I got me a P229 because in 2002 I had an assignment as a temp with SIG Sauer in Eckernförde, Germany where I was running the milling machines that milled the frames for the P-series.
Unfortunately the gun laws in Germany are very strict, you either have to be a competitive shooter or hunter or have to proof the NEED for a gun. Way too many hoops to jump through.
Since 2009 I live in the USA and when my wife and me decided to get a carry piece for each of us it was the P229 for me and the P239 for her.
I prefer the DA/SA over the striker especially for a carry gun, because I can put the thumb on the hammer while holstering.

·
Registered
384 Posts
A few years back there were some break-ins in my immediate neighborhood. One of my best buddies is a SEAL, so I went over to his place and he let me pick out any of his guns. I chose the 226 and we went to the range so he could run me through the basics. That was just over 3 years ago and now I’m 5 sig handguns in and still looking for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
I purchased my first firearm, a P229 SSE/9 approximately one year ago, to teach my three daughters, high schoolers now, handgun safety. Selling points were:

1. Reputation for quality and reliability. Duty-level pistol. Mature, proven design having a long, successful history.

2. Trigger, rather than striker-fired. Browning-type design (racking the slide would be easier for my girls than, say, a blowback design). DA/SA action.

3. Straightforward field stripping and maintenance.

4. A "serious" caliber (9mm Luger) that my girls were likely to be able to shoot comfortably and inexpensively ...

4. ... in an all steel pistol that was not too large/heavy for them.

The pistol did not (does not) disappoint. All three girls "qualified" this summer, no problem.

rx7sig

P.S. I subsequently (a month later) purchased a M11-A1. I have written here before that if I had known how easily 9mm Luger shoots out of the M11-A1, I would have purchased it first instead of the SSE. The SSE hardly gets shot these days, as the M11-A1 gets all the range dates--especially since I now can shoot it in .357 Sig (and .40 S&W). I am left wondering what to do with the SSE. The idea of such an excellent pistol going unused really bothers me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After my first semi automatic handgun purchase (Kimber 1911 Custom II) and feeling more comfortable with my understanding of semi auto pistols I handled the Sig M11 A1 at my LGS and found it felt just right in my hand. Signess struck and I have been unable to recover to this day.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts