SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been into shooting handguns now for about 3 years. I own and have spent time shooting multiple platforms -- revolvers, 1911's, DA/SA Sigs, and Striker Fired Glocks.

I absolutely LOVE Sigs. When I think of "handgun," I picture a Sig. But for the life of me, I can't shoot them as accurately as my Glock 19 (or any of them for that matter). I had an M11-A1, and couldn't shoot it accurately at all (wound up trading it). I also have a p226 Legion that I shoot a lot better than the M11, but still not as good as a stock Glock with the crappy plastic sights. I can't say that I've shot Glocks any more than I have Sigs, so it's not simply a matter of trigger time.

Anybody else been down this road that can help me figure why I shoot the Glocks so much better than even the Legion with it's great trigger, sights, etc? I don't have anything against Glocks (hard to when I shoot them so well), but I really want to shoot my Sigs as well or better. They just look so cool! (I know that's not really a factor in a self-defense handgun, but I think on this forum y'all know what I mean.)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Can you define "as accurately"? What is it doing? What distances are you shooting? Without seeing a pic of your target it is hard to guess what is going on. Are you using the combat hold for sight picture?

With you P226 you should be able to rip out the bullseye. I have found my MK25 and M11 are more accurate than me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you define "as accurately"? What is it doing? What distances are you shooting? Without seeing a pic of your target it is hard to guess what is going on. Are you using the combat hold for sight picture?

With you P226 you should be able to rip out the bullseye. I have found my MK25 and M11 are more accurate than me.
From 10 yards in, I suppose I shoot the Legion about the same as the Glock. The M11-A1 was a different story - it was all over the place for me (maybe the heavier trigger?)

When I move out to 15-25 yards, that's where I really struggle with the Sig. Sorry, I don't have any of my targets. But I don't think there's any consistent pattern with Sig - I just shoot much larger groups. I've tried covering the target with the front sight, as well as a 6:00 hold - nothing seems to work for me.

I'm sorry to be so vague, but I really can't think of any more specifics to share. I'll try to remember to snap a picture of my targets next time I'm at the range.

·
Registered
22,203 Posts
You made the mistake of permanently deforming your hands to the shape of a block, I mean Glock. :p

:D

(I have a G20 Gen 4. Don't tell anyone!)

·
Registered
327 Posts
I own both. My Sig is new and I hope I like it enough when I get it back from Sig to get a 320 this year. My Glock 22 is the most reliable, easy to clean, and target friendly pistol I've ever owned (about a dozen). Nothing flashy and not a "sayer" but a "doer". I respect that gun and have owned it for almost 2 decades. Let's face it. They're both known in the firearms community for excellence. I don't view them the same and maybe I shouldn't.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
My preference is the Glock trigger. Same pull, time after time, boring but predictable. With the SIG DA/SA, you have two vastly different trigger pulls, I really tried hard to learn and like the trigger. Couldn't do it. Then I discovered the DAK trigger, much more consistent pull each time, more in line with the Glock trigger. Robert Burke has worked on a couple of my DAK's, the P239 and P229, a couple of fantastic triggers. I spend about 20 minutes each evening dry firing the P229 DAK, I find it really helps not only my DAK trigger pull but that of the Glock.

Personal preferences, like ice cream, some prefer vanilla, some chocolate and others moose tracks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a few sigs & for the same reasons you mentioned, carry a g3 g30.
My preference is the Glock trigger. Same pull, time after time, boring but predictable. With the SIG DA/SA, you have two vastly different trigger pulls, I really tried hard to learn and like the trigger. Couldn't do it. Then I discovered the DAK trigger, much more consistent pull each time, more in line with the Glock trigger. Robert Burke has worked on a couple of my DAK's, the P239 and P229, a couple of fantastic triggers. I spend about 20 minutes each evening dry firing the P229 DAK, I find it really helps not only my DAK trigger pull but that of the Glock.

Personal preferences, like ice cream, some prefer vanilla, some chocolate and others moose tracks.
Thank you, bearone2 & Malicious Compliance. It's good to know that I'm not the only one. I really do appreciate both platforms for what they bring to the table.

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
I shoot my Sigs better. Especially so with my Single Action models. The da/sa trigger has never bothered me either. Thats what I started out with and carried on duty (Sig P220) But, I am really comfy shooting the Glock.
And it does have the same trigger pull everytime.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Once you get accustomed to the striker fire trigger it is hard to revert back to the DA/SA system. Before I transitioned to Glocks I shot Sigs exclusively. I was good with them! But once I made the commitment to go Glock (which was before any other striker fire gun was really relevant) I just could not get back to where I was able to shoot the DA/SA guns better. Just embrace it and go. You're a striker guy.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Once you get accustomed to the striker fire trigger it is hard to revert back to the DA/SA system. Before I transitioned to Glocks I shot Sigs exclusively. I was good with them! But once I made the commitment to go Glock (which was before any other striker fire gun was really relevant) I just could not get back to where I was able to shoot the DA/SA guns better. Just embrace it and go. You're a striker guy.
No doubt. I can see that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
P320 For The Win

It's the best of both worlds.
It's interesting that you mention that. I have a friend who recently bought a p320 full size 9mm. He and I went shooting a few weeks back, and I shot it consistently low. If I held above the target, practically, I could come close. The sights might have been off, but I'm betting it was me. Couldn't shoot it well at all - not nearly as well as my Legion.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Going fast I'm better off with a Glock. But taking my time (shooting more for accuracy and less for speed) my Sigs are way more accurate. If I shoot at paper plates at fifty yards I'm doing good to get a couple of hits with a Glock but can hit them just about all day with a Sig. But, if I'm trying to lay quick double taps into the center of multiple targets at about seven yards I'll go with the Glock just about every time.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
If you're taking your time, using good fundamentals, should be about the same or even an edge to the Sig because they're heavier and more inherently accurate. If you're shooting purely for groups at 25 yards or more. I doubt it's the sights. I can shoot good groups with the combat style Sig sights no problem, not really easy though. Unless you switched the sights and notice they're just shooting real low, high, left or right.

Weird you didn't shoot the M11-A1 well, it's not much smaller or lighter than the p226.

I would look at your technique, see how you're griping it, pulling the trigger, etc.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Going fast I'm better off with a Glock. But taking my time (shooting more for accuracy and less for speed) my Sigs are way more accurate. If I shoot at paper plates at fifty yards I'm doing good to get a couple of hits with a Glock but can hit them just about all day with a Sig. But, if I'm trying to lay quick double taps into the center of multiple targets at about seven yards I'll go with the Glock just about every time.
Same here...even more accurate with the 1911, but I suspect everyone is with the lighter SA triggers. Given the fact that I am more likely going to need to put several well placed shots in a center mass quickly, I carry a Glock. If I have 25 to 50 yards btwn me and a potential threat, I can extend and get away. (Note the use of the Top Gun lingo? :cool:)

Reactions: mhl6493

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
I've shot a lot of guns over time. Can't hit my a.$$ with both hands no matter what I shoot.

However, if my life is on the line - I can protect it.

That's all that counts for me...;)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
For what it's worth, I shoot DAK and DAO SIGs better than I do DA/SA... and I'm not talking about just the transition from first to second shot, I mean the whole magazine. I can't compare to Glocks but some people just find their own personal preference. I'm sure if I trained a lot more than I do, I could learn exactly where the SA trigger rides & overcome my tendency to be startled by the trigger break... but I like the longer trigger pull before the break and it's more comfortable to me.

Reactions: mhl6493
1 - 20 of 54 Posts