SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Why are so many competition shooters so FAT?

19K views 67 replies 38 participants last post by  dkd 
#1 ·
You'd think in organizations like IDPA which helps promote defensive pistol skills, the guys with the massive pot bellies would take all around self defense and fitness a little more seriously. If you lose your weapon and have to fight for your life will you have the stamina to protect yourself or run? Come on guys, gun handling is a martial art, it makes the sport look bad when everyone is chubby and out of shape.

#2 ·
I would think mostly because a large number of Americans are over weight.

Most of the guys that I shoot USPSA with are fairly fit guys, so I never really noticed it. I cant say much though, I have gained 30 lbs since Ive been out of college (3 years ago.) Of course I am 6'8" tall and now only weigh 220lbs, so I had to finally gain some weight sometime.

#3 ·
6'8" Wow. How's the weather up there? :p j/k
What is all involved in USPSA competitions? Does it involve multi-gun, speed shooting, etc?

#5 ·
Sad thing is, I feel like im getting fat. so I can live with it. I don't work out at all though and I sit behind a desk all day.

Kenny,
I have never been to a large USPSA match, but my local club puts on a match once a month. I meet with the same guys every week to practice and to set up the stages for the matches.

There is alot of speed, running between firing positions, and speed reloads involved. Mix of paper and steel targets. There are always fun obstacles to shoot around or through. It is what really keeps me interested in pistol shooting. There is no way I could stand still and shoot at the same target over and over.

As for multi gun, we will be holding our first 3 gun match the 4th Sat of July. 3 guns are pistol shotgun and rifle. I can not wait for this. I have never competed in anything like this, and I feel it will be alot of fun. I have made all my gear that I think I will need (meaning holsters, shotshell racks, and AR pouches). This evening, I should be sitting down with the guys I shoot with to try and get some stages designed so we can get any props we need built.

#9 ·
Kenny,
I have never been to a large USPSA match, but my local club puts on a match once a month. I meet with the same guys every week to practice and to set up the stages for the matches.

There is alot of speed, running between firing positions, and speed reloads involved. Mix of paper and steel targets. There are always fun obstacles to shoot around or through. It is what really keeps me interested in pistol shooting. There is no way I could stand still and shoot at the same target over and over.
Sounds like a lot of fun. I might have to look into something like that. Although I don't mind poking holes in paper because I get you fondle my baby (SP2022) but the challenge and training would make things interesting.

#6 · (Edited)
I am 46 and carry quite a bit of weight. Reading your post, I'd say you don't know much about fighting, do you?
I used to work as a boucer until 6 month ago. I am 5'11 and 320lbs. Just trust me, there weren't many skinny/in shape guys who put the fear of God into me. I took out marines, football players, and (according to THEM) MMA people. What do you need stamina for? Wanna go 3 rounds with the other guy? Maybe call a referee or something? A good (?) street fight is over in 10-15 seconds if done right. As fa as the running is concerned, I can't really tell, I have no experience in running away.
My personal 3rd rule when it comes to fight: underestimating the other guy because of his physical attributes can result in a considerable amount of pain. But that's just me.

#13 ·
It was a question and not meant to be personal.
I'm a black belt in Judo and Brown belt in Brazillian Jujitsu under John Machado and yes I've been in fights and competed. I can assure you I'm not skinny but I'm also not fat 6'1 220lbs WITH NO POT BELLY! I never underestimate ANYONE, I train with guys of every shape and size, some of my good friends are "fat" but it doesn't make my question less valid. Why are so many competitive shooters so fat?! The question annoys you because it hits too close to home. Just pull up pistol matches on youtube and you'll see what I mean, it's an epidemic. What good is practicing self defense when you're on your way to a heart attack or stroke before retirement age.
By the way I grew in East L.A. and have seen plenty of "good fights" last way beyond 15 seconds. It's tough to look in a guys eyes when he's being pummeled and he's too exhausted to stop it.
Be healthy and you'll live longer.

#7 ·
Ever heard the expression, "There's no accounting for taste"? If a guy who loves to shoot also happens to love food, then his appearance will reflect that.

You could say that people who attend IDPA shoots are being wasteful with their ammo. You could say that a black belt martial artist who doesn't like guns is a fool. But in the end, it's all about personal preference. And it's none of your business. :)

#10 ·
This thread reminds me of someone who once asked, "Why do only short men drive jacked-up 4X4's?" I've never been to one of the matches you speak of, but I'm guessing there are men that compete that are in good-great physical condition.

Reactions: threefivesevensig
#12 ·
Good, you guys can all drive to Western Pa and shoot in our first 3 gun match. We decided tonight that we are going to meet up a night next week and really start to try and plan for it.

As of now, I think we are going to have 7 stages. At least one is going to be all shotgun with the computerized clay throwers all set up with some stationary steel with them. 1 long range rifle stage with some pistol mixed in with it. That stage will probably go out to 250 or 300 yards. Then the rest will be a mix of close range with all the guns mixed in.

#17 ·
I am also first Dan in Judo, but haven't practiced in 20 years. But the good ol' juji jime still works like a charme every time.
Maybe competition shooters are in a phase in their life where they can finally afford a hobby that cost a little more $10 gym membership. I can tell you this: during my service, I had to run 5 miles, every day, rain or shine, to do what we call "earn your breakfast". The ony 2 days where you didn't have to run were x-mas and Camerone day. I've never been out jogging for more then 100 yards after I got out. I was so ******* sick of it. I'll rather go to the range and make a few holes in some paper. But then, I feel no need to compete (I highy doubt that I coud keep up with anyone there anyway, shootingwise). As for the fighting, well, as long as nobody is wiling to pay me for it, I just won't do it. It's that simple. Maybe it is because of how I look, but I never get into trouble when I go out.The usual drunken tough guy leaves me alone, and I am not looking to start anything either. I used to fight an awful lot, back in Germany and France. I worked as a bouncer in cubs from Frankfurt through Paris up to London. Now, I am just an old man who means no harm to anyone. But you know what they say about getting into a fight with an old guy, don't you?

#19 ·
I have lots of applicable experience here, both in competition (IPSC, and U.S.Army marksmanship teams, domestic and international), and real-world (convoy security gunner OIF, Baghdad AO). I was a member of a U.S. Army combat pistol team, and shot more rounds of 9mm than I can even estimate. Our matches were nearly all practical shooting, and involved physical fitness tests to simulate stressed fire. IPSC and the other civilian matches that I've encountered seem to avoid anything that might rule out a competitor for physical limitations short of disability. The reason you see so many overweight people competing in combat matches is that they are relatively easy to navigate, involving a minimal amount of exertion. Heavy people tend to be a more stable platform for any type of small arm, so in the absence of physical stressors, they generally shoot better. That being said, I never saw a large person win a combat match. The guys who won were usually big in their own rite, but were in great shape. Size accounts for nothing in any sort of fight if you don't know what you're doing, and I've known lots of little dudes who'd put some serious hurt on a big arrogant guy who figures his 300+ pounds will do the butt-kicking. Real gunfights are usually short, but intense, and jack your heart rate like you've been running a marathon. I equate handgun fighting to a claw-hammer fight in that it usually boils down to whoever lands the first blow. If you think you're prepared for a lethal fight, and think you don't need to be in really good shape because you can hit a predictable target in a controlled match, or you've kicked a few punk butts, you're an idiot. Most of the folks I've met at shooting matches since leaving the military ought to stick to playing video games and watching movies. I wouldn't want 99% of these jokers watching my back in a fight, they'd never make it to cover.

#21 ·
IMost of the folks I've met at shooting matches since leaving the military ought to stick to playing video games and watching movies. I wouldn't want 99% of these jokers watching my back in a fight, they'd never make it to cover.
So...if you're not elite, there's no sense in trying? :rolleyes:

Defensive handgun practices are mostly in preparation against someone stupid enough to try something in public, or in your home. No one at a pistol match is trying out for sniper school. We can't all be Chuck Norris like you, but we can at least try to get an upper hand.

#25 ·
From a fat guy (6'0", 250): We don't run well, or at least for very long, and it takes a lot of cover to shield us. Hence ... :p

BTW, I knew some rather elite cops (I saw them work, and practice, plenty) who carried 1911s cocked and locked. It could truthfully be said they were the very best in a fairly large geographic area at tactical entries. They favored Colts tuned by Brown or Wilson. Most or all had served or were serving on the Tac teams or in the narcotics unit. These were guys who also made it to range twice a week on their own. Plus, they had team sessions.

In a coincidence, two of them were the guys who gave me my first handgun shooting lessons. One was the rangemaster and the other was a range officer. I was never uncomfortable around them. Quite the opposite.

For the highly trained and frequently practiced, I see no problem at all with Condition One 1911 carry. For me ... not so much. I get to the range roughly four times a month. I personally would not feel proficient with 1911 Condition One carry.

That is if I were legal to carry. I live in Illinois, so there goes that option. Container carry of an unloaded semi with a mag ready is about the best you can legally do. If for some godforsaken reason I actually was forced to truly carry at this moment, I'd probably just take my Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace grips and load it with non-jacketed +P HPs in .38 Spcl.(Yes, I have checked them out in my gun.) From a 2" barrel, better chance with the non-jacketed load of getting expansion, IMO.

Re competition, I don't...yet. Need to clear some time on the schedule. One of my favorite instructors, a very fit and highly trained retired officer, though, does recommend people who do want to get serious about defensive handgunning try out competition after they've completed their initial training. As he says, you are working toward improvement, not toward finishing first. If the latter comes some day, fine. If not, so what? Work on your gun handling and shooting and become more proficient. And this guy can/has finished first.

#27 · (Edited)
STOP THE MADNESS - END THE POST AND RESTART NEW TOPIC !

Regardless of size, experience with a fight, weight etc, you are here to discuss the SPORT OF SHOOTING AND SIGS !

Discuss techniques, difference in models, ammo eating, reloading for the Sig, not belt sizes "joeyjitsu" ****.

Guns, leagues, sporting events, ammo, holsters...anything but making this into a manhood of typewritten posts because of one ignorant comment. None of you should have even answered the idiots comment. Shame on you tough, fat, skinny, bad-asses, yet loveable sig shooters.

Now let's get on with SIG TALK, not Weight-Watchers. Surely poster Demonio can find another blog elsewhere for his questions. Flag his ***, (simulated dry-fire) and move out !

#31 ·
A great response by him.... I'm now at 195, 5'9", but I respect those fireplugs out there cutting 'x's and enjoying the sport. I worked undercover narcotics for the state in the 70's and in the 80's worked other crimes throughout OH. The bros downtown wouldn't go to East Cleveland due to the violence. Given the opposite of 'fat, I was skinny in my opinion. Although a police firearms instructor, a First Lieutenant for a MP Company, and a Viet Nam 101st Veteran, oh yeah...I was too skinny and the gun looked too big in my hands to be competing in PPC leagues. So, given the previous old discussion I tripped upon...I shouldn't have been competing because I too had not "fit the mold" of a competitor. Old post or not, there are people that think like that....good thing we don't treat others in the same manner. I've relied on out-of-shape people in the field and on other details, but they could shoot!!! Stay healthy !

#33 · (Edited)
Yeah....I gave it (the old post) CPR without noticing it was a old thread. Too new to reading blogs to have noticed the date until pointed out to me. LOL at this time; worried that it was going to become rude etc. Glad it became enjoyable for a few of us. THIS IS MY LAST POST ON THIS THREAD ! :)

#40 ·
If a bunch of fat guys want to run around shooting guns and enjoy themselves more power to them! It beats a fat guy sitting on a couch all day long watching TV. People get mad and say why do these fat people get up and do something and when they get up and do something people compalin.

I personally want to see more people enjoy shooting.

Reactions: littlejoe
#42 ·
Because our bellies are sheds for our tools

We had to sit on our asses to make money to buy gear.

We have to spend time sitting on the couch to earn time away from the family to come out and shoot.

It helps steady a weapon through strategic balancing.

We've spent almost 20 years in patrol cars or unmarked cars drinking coffee eating pizza and donuts and now were retired.

We sit getting paid to watch a waste of bandwidth take place on stupid threads like this one..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Reactions: Mike25
#43 ·
LOL!!!

For those of us that consider fitness every bit as integral to the "weapon" as the steel object in the hand, these all appear as obvious excuses, but nevertheless, they are really funny.

Thanks for posting. Very funny post. :D

#45 ·
I wrote that to be funny but in all reality, It doesn't matter how you're built,competition is what it is. If you can stand up for 12 hours and participate in a match it doesn't matter what kind of shape you're in or how you appear, you've done the same as everyone else except your score is different.. I give kudos to guys that compete on a very regular basis versus taking opinion from a mall ninja whose most dangerous task is dusting his safe queens in full tac gear after playing ghost squad or some ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.