SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not up much on the history of semi-auto handguns. When I started reading about semi-autos two things popped up more than others - John Moses Browning and the 1911 semi-auto.

Can someone tell me what makes the 1911 so loved and so great? I know it has been in use from WW1 to today. But what I don't get is why is it still so wanted? At Gander Mountain there is a section of 1911s, probably almost a dozen, with many different brands of 1911s.

And Iv'e read they are popular in shooting competitions.

I have a Ruger revolver in 44-40 Winchester. That cartridge won the west! And you don't see Sig making revolvers in 44-44 Winchester. But they have their many versions of the 1911!

I'm not bashing the 1911, I'm just wondering - why do so many you out there want a 1911?

·
Registered
156 Posts
1911 are so popular because john Moses browning invented the first slide that enclosed the barrel and firing group,it was a piece of art, it was revolutionary, it's proven design and Reliability is extrodanary still used today along with many other firearms that he invented Example Winchester 1886,1887, the first full auto browning automatic rifle which used expanding gases I think he was the first to use this design also the list goes on and on
This pistol is a stylish piece of history

·
Registered
136 Posts
Plus - 1911's are a heck of a lota fun to shoot. When I pick up a 1911, it has a very natural and comfortable feel. Also, IMHO they are easy to shoot well. I can shoot my 1911 more accurately than any other pistol I own. I love my Sigs and other handguns, but if I could only have one pistol, it would be a 1911.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
There's plenty to like about the 1911. Great ergonomics, consistent-easy to control trigger, flat and easy to conceal for a full size .45 caliber pistol. And, as one previous poster stated they are very enjoyable to shoot. To push that a little further, all the points above make them a platform that seems to allow shooters to attain proficiency a little quicker.

That being said, they can be finicky and require the user to be a little more... on top of things. Every pistol enthusiast should own at least own, even if you choose not to carry it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
A month ago I had never heard of 1911s. Then I bought my p239 and told a buddy of mine who has a fair number of handguns and long guns, and he suggested I should get a 1911. So, me being me, did a lot of research and watched a lot of video reviews, learned about things like MIM parts and mil-spec, and grew an appreciation for the 1911 platform as a piece of engineering and a work of art. So then I looked at sig 1911s, and all things pointed to their 1911s being exceptional handguns.

Within a month I had my 1911 stainless rail.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Because they are still to this day, the greatest handgun ever designed! It does everything well, in every category. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Definitely an iconic handgun and a must own for all gun owners (Still trying to find mine). It was the first gun I ever shot and I still remember those days very well.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Besides being user friendly, dependable and easier to reload over a revolver, the 45 ACP has proven itself over time. In the 1970s I was fairly new to Law Enforcement and got hold of a copy of the FBI Uniformed Crime Report which included a study of handguns used by LEOs in actual shooting incidents. Although the 1911 was not a commonly carried handgun, the report summary indicated that during the study period, not one single criminal had returned fire after being hit once with the 45ACP. That impressed the heck out of me and although I was required to carry a revolver while on duty, I bought a 1911 for off duty. Sometimes Bigger is Better and a 230 grain bullet must be akin to being hit with a 90 MPH baseball bat.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Its a .45, its easy to take apart, you can easily become an expert on smithing a 1911, and the parts are plentiful. Think about this for a second, how many glock lookalikes have been made since the G17? Alot, XDs, M&Ps, Caracal, FNS, Kahrs, SR9, the list goes on and on. Now how many 1911 copies do you see? Its very innovative.

·
Registered
293 Posts
They are popular in general because they were the first reliable and cost effective semi automatic handgun ever designed. They are incredibly popular in this country because they were designed by an American for the American military, and American patriots will gladly throw money at anything with old glory stamped on it.

Me personally? I prefer functionality to nostalgia.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Its a .45, its easy to take apart, you can easily become an expert on smithing a 1911, and the parts are plentiful. Think about this for a second, how many glock lookalikes have been made since the G17? Alot, XDs, M&Ps, Caracal, FNS, Kahrs, SR9, the list goes on and on. Now how many 1911 copies do you see? Its very innovative.
Its EASY?! Compared to what.. a chevy smallblock?

How many 1911 copies do you see? Did you really ask that? THEYRE ALL COPIES! Unless they have 'COLT' stamped somewhere on them they are not original 1911s. The only reason other polymer guns look different from Glocks is that the patents haven't expired like they did on the 1911.

100 years ago, the 1911 was truly innovative. It is the basis for basically every moden handgun currently made. 50 years ago it was still one of only about a half dozen autoloaders considered reliable enough for police and military use. In the current day and age, it is a dinosaur. It does nothing better functionally than any modern firearm design. The only saving grace of the 1911 is that is in fact a great range gun, and a piece of American history, which is why they are still produced. The fact that the patents are expired helps a lot too. I promise you will see Glock clones out the wahzoo 30-40 years from now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Easy to shoot. Point naturally. Good ergos. Recoil is more of a push than a smack.

I find a 1911 easier to shoot well than most 40's.

It's also easy to reload.

Once you get accustomed to breaking them down, they are easy to care for. I usually shoot my 1911 more accurately than any other pistol. Don't seem to have to practice quite as much.

It's fun to shoot, in addition to being an icon.

I have a friend who just got a 9mm 1911 -- she absolutely LOVES it. Actually sold her Glock 17 -- now it's Sigs and 1911's for her.

I still really like my Glocks and Sigs -- but, if I could afford it right now, I would buy another 1911 or two, or three.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I would say nostalgia. It is a dinosaur but so am I in certain respects. I was an avid shooter of most pistols except the 1911 until this past year. I finally bought one so I could experience 100 year old technology. I find it heavy, large, inefficient, finicky, and uncomfortable. I also think it is good looking, interesting, fun and I am certainly not going to sell mine.

My intention is not to irritate the 1911 fans but to offer a perspective from someone that intentionally avoided them as old school but finally succumbed to the spell 30 years later. I too wondered why all these shooters keep dealing with such an antique. I thought it was just because of the after-market parts availability, etc.

The funny thing is that now that I have one, I like it "GI". As rude, sharp edged, and as 1911esque as it can be. The exact opposite of my other pistols.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Its a main part of American Military History.

For many American, there is only one handgun for our Military, and that is 1911/45.
I know people who broke down and cried when we moved to 9mm and 'Its Italian' that
made the pain hurt even more.

Its one of the handgun that changed history. many feel it is the best handgun ever made.

Browning worked on 'High Standard'. The improvement of 1911.
Its was in 9mm but never reach the popularity here in America has the 1911.
British Speical Service has it for their service handgun for years.

~ITS TRADITION~ (PS-- I have 1911/45 Sig)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was watching a video from American Handgunner on cleaning the 1911 and the guy in the video said a good 1911 will run dirty. Is that true? They can function near top form even while dirty?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Its EASY?! Compared to what.. a chevy smallblock?

How many 1911 copies do you see? Did you really ask that? THEYRE ALL COPIES! Unless they have 'COLT' stamped somewhere on them they are not original 1911s. The only reason other polymer guns look different from Glocks is that the patents haven't expired like they did on the 1911.
Its easy to take apart, meaning you dont need tools, its easy to smith because every gunsmith learns how to do it, and parts are everywhere. The 'copy' reference was entailing that 1911s are as popular as the new glock style pistols. Im sorry you didnt understand my message.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts