SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys I would like some advice on what trigger to buy for my new (to me) MK25 I picked up at a gun show last week. I'm going to customize it to my needs. So far I've put a srt and a 17lb wolf mainspring. After a new set of grips I want a trigger and I narrowed it down to the Armory craft flat trigger or the grey guns intermediate trigger. I was wondering if anyone had experience with them or just a thing or two to say about it

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a Suarez Trigger, basically like the Gray guns trigger and with the SRT the reset is insane. I have one of those armory Craft triggers on order but it won't be here until tomorrow. The Gray Guns will be more drop in. The Armory Craft will take a little more fitting but should be better over all in feel I would think and pretravel adjustment too.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
As Neverenuffsig says.

The Gray Guns trigger has an overtravel stop. The Armory Craft trigger has both an overtravel and pretravel stop. Both contribute in their own way to a nicer trigger, though overtravel stop is more important to accuracy. The pretravel stop simply removes the at rest trigger back to remove the wasted motion before it starts cocking the hammer. This also opens up the area in front of the trigger for easier operations with gloved hands etc.

Straight vs Curved triggers is a whole nuther discussion. A straight trigger allows more variation in finger positioning, e.g. placing one's finger lower on the trigger improves mechanical advantage, reducing the felt trigger pull.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The flat trigger from Armory Craft is great, and taking the time to adjust it is a little frustrating but really worth it. There is no sweet spot to say anymore because the trigger is fatter and you will always feel when you have a good straight pull.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,638 Posts
Hi guys I would like some advice on what trigger to buy for my new (to me) MK25 I picked up at a gun show last week. I'm going to customize it to my needs. So far I've put a srt and a 17lb wolf mainspring. After a new set of grips I want a trigger and I narrowed it down to the Armory craft flat trigger or the grey guns intermediate trigger. I was wondering if anyone had experience with them or just a thing or two to say about it

Thanks
First off, welcome to Sig Talk from the southwest corner of Indiana...
My first question to you, is have you even shot it yet?
Is this for range and fun? Or a serious carry gun?

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I like the Gray Guns trigger on the Legion. It is the quickest resetting trigger I've ever seen on a gun, which includes the Glock, which has an extremely quick reset.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like the trigger on my Legion as well, but I put the flat PELT trigger on my P320's and really like that. Rumor has it that Gray Guns may have a flat trigger for the P229/226 soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
Start with the SRT kit, That's the real magic of the Legion (and all P-series). Also get a #17 or #19 Mainspring. That will get you a trigger that is lighter than a legion for less bucks.

If you still want to spend money the GGI P-Sait is great, but only marginally better than the stock trigger IMO.
The reset is all about the SRT not the P-SAIT.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a suarez , legion, idp, just put 3 armory's in my current group

I wish armory would put a metal screw adjustment tip instead of the plastic piece

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
I like the Gray Guns trigger on the Legion. It is the quickest resetting trigger I've ever seen on a gun, which includes the Glock, which has an extremely quick reset.
It should be! The Legion has both the Short Reset kit and GGI trigger with adjustable over-travel as stock. But fortunately for us mere mortal, non-Legionnaires who lack appropriate swarthyness, has no corner on those endearing qualities - they are all to be had on a Classic P, DA/SA with the addition of Short Reset kit (most of the reset reduction) and a trigger with overtravel adjustment (about half of what little reset is left after adding SR kit). This results in a SIG P226/9 DA/SA/DSR (dang short reset).:)

GGI, ArmoryCraft, etc, any trigger with overtravel adjustment, also reduces reset distance as it prevents the trigger from going to the rear further than needed after it releases the sear in SA mode. With this unnecessary rearward travel or "over-travel" eliminated, the trigger has less distance to travel forward to reach the reset point.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
On Graygun's page for the P-SAIT trigger, it says (as if to warn) "ome adjustment may be required."

What does that mean?

The P-series pistols are produced to tolerances for drop-in part replacement. Is this not the case with the P-SAIT? Or are they just talking about the over-travel adjustment?

·
Registered
496 Posts
On Graygun's page for the P-SAIT trigger, it says (as if to warn) "ome adjustment may be required."

What does that mean?

The P-series pistols are produced to tolerances for drop-in part replacement. Is this not the case with the P-SAIT? Or are they just talking about the over-travel adjustment?

The adjustment is for the over travel.
See link to Mr. Jenkins P-Sait installation.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=csMiLhbk410

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Sorry. That isn't what I meant. I know the purpose of the adjustment on the trigger.

The statement that I referenced on the Grayguns' page makes it sound like similar statements from other companies when indicating that fitting may be required.

I was asking if that is what that statement meant because I thought it would be drop-in like other SIG P-series parts.

Reactions: FLASIG

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was asking if that is what that statement meant because I thought it would be drop-in like other SIG P-series parts.
You are right. A lot of people had the impression that it was a straight drop-in trigger. Like replacing the skinny trigger for the fat trigger.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
You are right. A lot of people had the impression that it was a straight drop-in trigger. Like replacing the skinny trigger for the fat trigger.
But is it a drop in? Or does it require fitting?

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Thanks, PK!

ETA: Hey! We call "PK", or "Pk", "probability of kill" in my line of work. ;)

Reactions: Pete K

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
But is it a drop in? Or does it require fitting?
That's a good question. There's a difference between drop in, fitting, and adjusting. :) Fitting being removing material until it fits or functions, adjusting would be tweaking a screw etc. Fitting doesn't necessarily mean difficult, you just need to go slow and not remove more material than necessary.

An drop in aftermarket trigger with no adjustments, it will seldom do much more than change appearance, reach, or feel against the finger. Tolerances must be about what the factory trigger provides in order to, um, "drop in".

The simplest adjustable trigger would be one with overtravel only. It may have a set screw to minimize overtravel. If you back that screw out all the way, the trigger will be a "drop in" and it won't reduce overtravel much, if at all. Adjusting it easy - turn in the screw until the trigger will not release the hammer in SA mode, the back out the screw so it does just release the hammer, and finally back the screw out 1/4 turn more (or follow instructions).

A bit more complex is a trigger with both pre-travel and overtravel adjustment - still easy, take your time and adjust pre-travel so trigger will pick up and cock the hammer in DA, then proceed as above for SA.

Some triggers, as in high end guns, will have additional adjustments for reach and fit etc. Some triggers may use a stop that's adjusted by removing material. Here's an example of a trigger I've modified to add an overtravel stop made of 1/8" black Delrin rod. I drill a .2" deep hole on the backside of the trigger, press in the rod, then adjust the length. One way to do this is to cover the frame with thin tape to protect it, then slip a strip of sand paper between the rod to be shortened and the taped frame - pull back and forth, test, repeat.

A P229 Nickel I bought used a few months ago. Trigger stop is the little black button on the back of the trigger. This is a DA/SA gun and you may notice the trigger is back a bit more than stock, as the pre-travel has been removed with an internal mod that I don't sell. The same gain is had easier with a trigger with that adjustment or "fit" built in, like the ArmoryCraft offering).

Take the time to install (or fit) an adjustable trigger and you will be rewarded with a nicer trigger feel.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts