SIG Talk banner
81 - 100 of 155 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Our fees here seem pretty reasonable by comparison.

1st permit was $75.00 for 5 years.

Mandatory class was $60.00 ... I think that may vary depending on who's conducting the class.

Your re-up after the 5 years is only $50.00

On the knife thing ... here you can carry any pocketknife, manual folder or automatic, concealed as long as it's 3 1/2" or under. Open carry I guess anything goes ... during deer season it's common to see guys walking around with big straight blade hunting knives on their belts. I carry a Boker Kalashnikov Automatic for EDC.
It's fun to see the looks you get sometimes when you snap open an automatic knife to open a box or cut some tape. Someone always says something like, "I thought "switchblades" were illegal". I just tell them, "I was going to shoot it open with my .38 but I thought that would be a bit too noisy".

Reactions: Kos1

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Here in New Mexico we have open carry but a license is required for CC. You must qualify with a weapon in the class. Whatever that weapon is is the max you can carry. So if you qualify with a 9mm auto, you can’t carry anything larger than 9mm. Also cannot carry a revolver.
My instructor had his personal 45 autos and 45 revolvers available if you wanted to qualify with them. It is listed on the license what your max is. Mine shows 45 auto and revolver.
I just open carry as I refuse to jump thru hoops for 16 hours, as well as several hundred $$s. New Mexico gun laws are a joke. Welcome to the Wolf Wild Repressed!

15 rounds from 10 feet? They should let you just throw the bullets at the target, to save ammo for a drive down Central……

Plus, don’t need to be on any lists that MLG can release to the public, she’s just Newsome lite in reality.

·
Registered
476 Posts
THAT is why I am concerned when they start talking about a national CCP. Unless they want to say that the permit from any state is reciprocal in all states.
OR (it will never happen), all states adopt Constitutional carry.
The SC should issue a ruling for forced reciprocity. Full Faith and Credit clause. States have honored DLs for years. And recently the SC forced all states to recognize gay marriages as well. Libs in states like CA, NY, etc were happy as clams that all states were now forced to accept the new ruling. It’s time for such happiness to be felt in 2A states as well. Same should be done with carry permits.

·
Registered
199 Posts
When I was exploring my first handgun here in NC, a buddy pointed out that the concealed carry permit had 2 advantages:
1) you're protected when driving around with bullets and gun in 'easy reach' since the permit allows that. Lets you be a bit less careful when travelling with guns (in state).
2) it lets you buy handguns "instantly" instead of going through a separate legal check for every potential purchase.

And while my instructor had us "qualify" with both revolver and semi auto, there's nothing about that on the permit - you can carry anything you want and change every day.

Of course I've never been able to figure out how someone could meet the minimal proficiency requirements shooting a revolver but not a semi or vice versa - you line up the sights and pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
In CT we don't have to qualify but I also have a Rhode Island CC permit and had to qualify. The rule there is, you qualify with the largest caliber you want to carry and you can carry that caliber and anything smaller.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In Arkansas, like Texas, if you qualify with a revolver then you can only carry a revolver. If you qualify with a semi-auto then you can carry both. You can qualify with any pistol and does not have to be the one you carry. I don't agree with this. I think you should have to qualify with what you carry. I see someone else stated that some people qualify with a .22 and then carry a larger caliber. I've seen this and the teachers here always mention that this is not a good idea to the students. But it's the law so they have to allow it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It may have changed recently, but in TX when I qualified it, if you used a revolver you were limited to carrying a revolver but if you used a semi-auto you could carry a semi or a revolver. You didn’t have to own it- you could borrow and then get whatever down the road.
If that was ever true, it changed long time ago. I've had a permit in Texas for 9 years now

·
Registered
2 Posts
The funny thing here is that a very large percentage of people take their 22 caliber Target pistols to qualify so they get a good range score! There are so many people in this state carrying weapons that they don't train with, probably couldn't qualify with! And probably just looking for a reason to use it! I've always told my wife, if you're ever in a situation, take cover first, assess the situation, and don't attempt to do anything unless you have the total advantage!
This good advice for your wife and for us all!

·
Registered
73 Posts
In Nevada, your CCW covers any firearm that is legal whether you even own it or not!
In AZ, we can carry anything concealed without a CCW. HOWEVER, I strongly encourage everyone to take the 8 hour CCW course and to learn as much as possible about the laws and responsibilities of carrying a weapon. It's common sense. You learned how to drive and had to pass a test.
You should be proficient with every gun you choose to carry. I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want to be.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tennessee permit one to carry virtually any handgun. It does not have to be the firearm that you qualified with and you do not have to own the firearm. (Two different women had not ever fired a handgun and the instructors provided handguns, simple instruction, practice before the qualifying shooting. Both women, one a co-ed and the other a grandmother, qualified. This was in Memphis in the early 1990's.)
Tennessee has three different levels of carrying: 1. "Constitutional Carry" (there are limitations on how a handgun is carried), 2. Handgun Carry License (HCL) (passing an online course and test), and 3. Enhanced HCL (In person instruction and testing; open or concealed carry; reciprosity with other states).
We love our guns in Tennessee and the LEOs like armed citizens neutralizing the threats offered by criminals.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It may have changed recently, but in TX when I qualified it, if you used a revolver you were limited to carrying a revolver but if you used a semi-auto you could carry a semi or a revolver. You didn’t have to own it- you could borrow and then get whatever down the road.
This has changed. Any legal firearm can be carried no matter what you qualified with.

·
Super Moderator
1,476 Posts
In NC the CCH permit proficiency testing involves any handgun you want to shoot with. When I give the test, I recommend (but do not require) a self defense caliber and document the firearm that the student used in the examination. There is no further specific requirement for the firearm that you carry except that it be a "handgun" and only a handgun as defined by law.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In Florida as long as you have a permit you can carry any legal weapon with you. As far as required firearms training class not sure. Veterans are automatically qualified.
In FL if not military, the applicant just needs to have a couple of hours of training and fire one round to qualify.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another reason I’m glad I live in Guntucky. Constitutional open and concealed carry if not a convicted felon. CCDW has been available forever, and I continue to renew my CCDW every 5 years for $60 for the reciprocity. The initial fee was $60. Initial 8 hour basics of the law course (useful) and something like 80% of 50 rounds in a man sized silhouette. I can carry any gun I want, as many as I want.

81 - 100 of 155 Posts