SIG Talk banner
61 - 80 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
P365xl with WC grip module
74 Posts
In Nevada, your CCW covers any firearm that is legal whether you even own it or not!
In WA state, same …. If you have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) then any weapon/ammo in your physical possession is covered. More importantly, I don’t have to tell the state what weapons I will carry concealed. I don’t have to take a test. I don’t have to “qualify” …. I do have to have a background check completed and a record that I have a CPL. That’s it. It’s damn near Constitutional Carry. Combine that with our Stand Your Ground doctrine, and we actually are a very good 2A state.

Of course, the commies elected by Seattle are trying to mess that up, but they’ve not really changed the needle very far. And Bruen will undo pretty much all the **** they’ve changed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The funny thing here is that a very large percentage of people take their 22 caliber Target pistols to qualify so they get a good range score! There are so many people in this state carrying weapons that they don't train with, probably couldn't qualify with! And probably just looking for a reason to use it! I've always told my wife, if you're ever in a situation,* take cover first, assess the situation, and don't attempt to do anything unless you have the total advantage!*

See above highlighted last lines......especially the first. Take cover first , keeping in mind that concealment is not necessarily cover..........and a LOT of things in a given environment are not cover , then there are things that will provide cover for the first shot. And subsequently crumbling.........

Want a demonstration of that , go to Home Depot and buy some cinder blocks......now take them to the range and afterwards ask yourself if you would want to be hiding behind them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
One of the most interesting things about this debate to me is regardless of the attempts of the left, and some of the alphabet agencies, we are winning these cases in the Supreme Court! And I definitely feel I have more gun rights now than I did 20 years ago!
You do. A cursory glance at the states that are now " shall issue" along with the number of states that are Constitutional Carry and/or open carry will back that postulation.

I can remember when the ONLY Constitutional carry state was Vermont and the only Open carry state was Arizona with a coupla others being tenously open carry depending on where you were in the state.

The proverbial " crack in the dam" came with the Heller decision , then Mcdonald , Caetano , the first NY R and P club decision and then again with Bruen. And defenses based upon the Miller decision ( 1939) have been quite worthwhile on the **** around the word " militia".

So yeah it's gotten better. However it's also made the gunbanning crowd even more rabid. Don't think they'll let up , they aren't and they have completely shown their intent which is of course to disarm the public completely.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I remember when they went constitutional carry, that's when we got really close to doing it here. But what's up with St Louis? I heard they just reached number one for murders. BTW I lived in Strafford, just outside of Springfield for about a year 30 some years ago.;)
St. Louis is a mess. We don’t claim that place. The county is ok but the city itself is a dem controlled cesspool. I actually just heard New Orleans just took over as number one bumping STL to number two. STL is bad and has been but honestly….. I’ve never thought it was quite as bad as some of the statistics have shown.
I know of Stafford very well. Drive by it quite frequently when headed to Springfield or down that neck of the woods. I’m on I44 (very close).

·
Registered
306 Posts
NJ

One of the states forced to go Shall Issue after SCOTUS Bruen decision
Shall issue if you meet all the financial/training requirements. Same as MD and NY. Lawsuits will ensue, and they should.

In PA, open carry requires no 'permit' unless in a city of the first class (population over 1 million). Philadelphia is the only such PA city. However, to carry in a vehicle or concealed, you need an LTCF (License To Carry Firearms). $20 every 5 years with no training, etc., only a PA state police BGC (like if buying a new gun). They comes from County sheriff's offices or the Philadelphia PD. Many are done on the spot in 5-10 minutes, some lib counties (and Philly PD) drag it out and notify you that you are approved within 30 or 60 days IIRC.

The fees here in Nevada are nearly the same, 100 to 150 qualify, 100 to the police department includes fingerprints. But that's good for 5 years, then $60 for each 5 year renewal, at this time. 120 day maximum waiting period per Nevada law, my County pushes it all the way to the max on waiting, but some counties I've seen as a little as one week!
I'm sure there are many inconsistencies like I'm about to mention, but I only use NV because I've been there.

NV recognizes PA 'permits,' so I can go to NV and carry a handgun with far fewer requirements than a NV resident. Just wrong (and the whole permitting process is just wrong also).

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
It cost $73.25 here in my county and last 5 years and $30 to renew but no training or qualifying is required just a standard photograph, fingerprint and background check.

Open carry is legal in Georgia only with a Georgia Weapons Carry License (WCL) or a concealed carry permit from a state Georgia honors. Some areas are off-limits, including schools and courthouses. Concealed carry is legal for residents of Georgia with a WCL and non-residents with a license/permit issued by a state that Georgia honors.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There are some people who think that an LTC course teaches them to handle and use a weapon. After they complete the course, they think they are ready, so they put the gun away and don't practice.

I hope these people never have to use their gun in a high stress situation.

Being able to pass a driving test does NOT mean you're a good driver.

·
🎖USN Retired
218 Posts
There are some people who think that an LTC course teaches them to handle and use a weapon. After they complete the course, they think they are ready, so they put the gun away and don't practice.

Yeah, just watch my wife.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·

I know a few people like that, some of these people I can't drag them to the range, yet they carry daily. One particular person that I alluded to earlier in the post, used his 22 caliber target pistol to qualify because he can't shoot worth beans! And the reason he can't shoot worth beans is because over the years he's just too damn cheap to spend a bullet! The very few times I have been to the range with him he will only bring a box of 50, usually not even shoot all of those, and collect all the brass he can find even though he doesn't reload, and won't give the brass to those of us that do!

·
🎖USAF Veteran
3,166 Posts
You can in TX now, too, but I will still be renewing my CHL when the time comes.
I just did that recently so that I am covered if I travel in a state that has reciprocity with Texas but in which you must have a license to carry. My LTC is right behind my driver's license.

Reactions: jpfrog

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did you ever notice how GIANT the qualification targets are? If guys can’t hit that big target consistently at double the distance required w any gun they prob aren’t ready anyhow. It’s embarrassing if you ask me what the standards are.
In hunter ed I always teach training harder than you hunt. If you wanna be good at 15 yards train up to 35. Same w ccw or anything else in life.
Imagine why we would ever need a gun and that’s only cause someone else is trying to take our life. Pretty serious stuff imo. Guys need to be ready.
Qualification actually irks me. A buddy of mine said his dept allows a guy a full case of ammo to fully qualify, what??? He told me at 25 there’s a pole to lean on. Guys 25 ain’t far. My uncle used to shoot a plate in his yard at 90 yards. My cousin was a NY city cop. He’d not even try it. It was a big plate, why not? Ain’t shooting back. Mentality. Set your head that nothing is too tough and do it.

Excuse me, yes my state requires it

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
For a CCW permit in Florida it does not require qualification in each type of pistol one may carry concealed.

However, for a former LEO to carry under HR 218 ('the LEOSA act'), it does require a separate qualification for the pistol type. That means should someone choose to alternate between a semi-auto and a revolver, then two qualifications would be necessary to receive certification to carry both.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So how much BS is involved in that permit? Meaning,time, money, training, Etc.
It's NJ so there is always BS. However, NJ is now a shall-issue state. Just need to fill out the application and pass the background check and pay $50. You also must show that you have qualified with the specific firearm you are requesting to add to your carry permit. My range is charging $200 for the course and qualification. You need to shoot 80% on the FBI q target (24 @ 7yds, 14 @ 10yds, 6 @ 15yds and 6 @ 25yds)

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's NJ so there is always BS. However, NJ is now a shall-issue state. Just need to fill out the application and pass the background check and pay $50. You also must show that you have qualified with the specific firearm you are requesting to add to your carry permit. My range is charging $200 for the course and qualification. You need to shoot 80% on the FBI q target (24 @ 7yds, 14 @ 10yds, 6 @ 15yds and 6 @ 25yds)
There’s a guy at Cherry Ridge is 100 bucks 2 guns. 50 dollars each additional. If that’s something you’re interested in pm me I’ll give you his number.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
For a CCW permit in Florida it does not require qualification in each type of pistol one may carry concealed.

However, for a former LEO to carry under HR 218 ('the LEOSA act'), it does require a separate qualification for the pistol type. That means should someone choose to alternate between a semi-auto and a revolver, then two qualifications would be necessary to receive certification to carry both.
The agency that I qualify with under LEOSA requires qualifying with every handgun . It's listed on the qual letter they issue. While it may not seem like much but if you ever get into a shooting investigation those records will become a large part of it. I'm fortunate the have the use of a great facility and running multiple handguns isn't a big deal. 72 rounds per firearm.

61 - 80 of 155 Posts