SIG Talk banner
41 - 60 of 155 Posts

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I've always wondered that. My CCW allows me to carry whatever firearm and magazine I reasonably want, but I can't carry a blade beyond a pocket knife? Maybe it's because knives are relatively silent?
I have never understood the knife rules anywhere, 3-in rule here, or there, folding, not folding , 5-in rule I don't know, I see people all the time carrying 12-in hunting knives without a problem, other times Leo's getting excited about a pocket knife! Who knows? Back in my working days I always carried the Leatherman or some similar multi-tool that's about it, unless in the woods that's a different story.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Here in MO we can carry whatever we want whenever we want. And, as many as we want. It’s a good State overall.
I remember when they went constitutional carry, that's when we got really close to doing it here. But what's up with St Louis? I heard they just reached number one for murders. BTW I lived in Strafford, just outside of Springfield for about a year 30 some years ago.;)

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Here in Gun World, you can carry anything you want ... no permit needed. If you want to get a permit, you take a class, do the paperwork and write a check. No one ever asked anything about what gun I was going to carry ... not in the class or at the courthouse (where you apply). I'm not a "rotation" guy, I carry the same gun year around so it I've never really thought about this before.

The extreme differences from state to state is really mind boggling.
THAT is why I am concerned when they start talking about a national CCP. Unless they want to say that the permit from any state is reciprocal in all states.
OR (it will never happen), all states adopt Constitutional carry.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
I remember when they went constitutional carry, that's when we got really close to doing it here. But what's up with St Louis? I heard they just reached number one for murders. BTW I lived in Strafford, just outside of Springfield for about a year 30 some years ago.;)
Kansas is Constitutional carry, now.
As I recall, very loose on knives, too. I think a switchblade is even ok.

Reactions: PaulWVa and Nilla

·
Registered
59 Posts
So how much BS is involved in that permit? Meaning,time, money, training, Etc.
A lot of Time and Money

Qualification $150
Permit $50
Fingerprints $60
Notary $0-$10
Online Mental Health Form $22

Need application in triplicate - notorized
Takes about 60 days .... first local police chief signs off..... then goes to County ..... then goes to County Judge

Done every 2 years.....

It sucks

·
🎖USN Retired
218 Posts
A lot of Time and Money

Qualification $150
Permit $50
Fingerprints $60
Notary $0-$10

Takes about 60 days .... first local police chief signs off..... then goes to County ..... then goes to County Judge

Done every 2 years.....

It sucks
what state is this?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Here in New Mexico we have open carry but a license is required for CC. You must qualify with a weapon in the class. Whatever that weapon is is the max you can carry. So if you qualify with a 9mm auto, you can’t carry anything larger than 9mm. Also cannot carry a revolver.
My instructor had his personal 45 autos and 45 revolvers available if you wanted to qualify with them. It is listed on the license what your max is. Mine shows 45 auto and revolver.
Crazy. Did not know that. Wonder if my Texas ltc covers me when carrying my j-frame through your state? Are you saying you can’t pocket carry a revolver there?

·
Registered
134 Posts
It may have changed recently, but in TX when I qualified it, if you used a revolver you were limited to carrying a revolver but if you used a semi-auto you could carry a semi or a revolver. You didn’t have to own it- you could borrow and then get whatever down the road.
Nevada used to be the same way, but not anymore.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The funny thing here is that a very large percentage of people take their 22 caliber Target pistols to qualify so they get a good range score! There are so many people in this state carrying weapons that they don't train with, probably couldn't qualify with! And probably just looking for a reason to use it! I've always told my wife, if you're ever in a situation, take cover first, assess the situation, and don't attempt to do anything unless you have the total advantage!
I took my Glock 35 to the last qual, for no other reason than having it in the car from the range trip the day before and why not :)

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
A lot of Time and Money

Qualification $150
Permit $50
Fingerprints $60
Notary $0-$10

Done every 2 years.....

It sucks
The fees here in Nevada are nearly the same, 100 to 150 qualify, 100 to the police department includes fingerprints. But that's good for 5 years, then $60 for each 5 year renewal, at this time. 120 day maximum waiting period per Nevada law, my County pushes it all the way to the max on waiting, but some counties I've seen as a little as one week!

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Florida qualifier we loaded a single round into a .22 caliber pistol, racked the slide, discharged one round. The whole time the Luger was attached to a tube filled with water. Passed the minimum standard for loading and discharging.

41 - 60 of 155 Posts