SIG Talk banner

Which first? DA/SA.....226 or 229?

2922 30
Making a plan......to acquire a legion.

I want DA/SA........do I start with the 226 or 229? I intend to buy it in .357 Sig
Reactions: bearone2
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Jeff Cooper on the perfect sized weapon--"In Commander configuration -- slightly reduced in bulk, dehorned and featuring high-visibility fixed sights -- it still stands without rival".

In my mind and in Sig Language, he is describing the 229. I own larger and smaller weapons in many sizes, finishes, and with many features. Which one do I shoot in courses? Sig 229 Elite .40. Which one is by my bed? The same Sig 229. I did not buy the 229 because Col Cooper said that. I read it after I got a 229. But I agree with him. If I only were allowed to have one pistol, it would be my 229. I got the 226 to replace my 229 at the bedside so I could carry my 229 more frequently. So far the 229 is still by the bed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just had the same dilemma. I started looking for a 226 Legion. A LGS had a used one with seven magazines for $1100 cash. I almost bought it but I wanted to replace my G19 and the 229 Legion was closer in size to my G 19 so I went with the 229. It is a fantastic gun and very easy to carry. I have no regrets!!!

As bareone2 suggest, most likely, we will purchase the other one. For now, my thought is to get a 220 Legion in SA next. Who know what follows that.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
If you catch the SigNess Disease, you will want both eventually.

P229, 357 SIG is my favorite gun for all-around use. The 226 Legion, 9mm, shoots so damn accurate, it's scary.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
If you catch the SigNess Disease, you will want both eventually.

P229, 357 SIG is my favorite gun for all-around use. The 226 Legion, 9mm, shoots so damn accurate, it's scary.
A 229 in .357 Sig was what started me liking Sigs. Trading it for a 229 Elite (with SRT) in .40 is what started my Signess. The SRT was the difference.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I prefer the balance and feel of a P226, but they are not as easy to carry concealed as the P229. I just bought my first Legion in 357 SIG (a have a previous P226 also in that caliber). For me, the P226 makes more sense in 357 SIG...its a hot, high velocity ( for a pistol) round. The slightly longer barrel length seems to fit the cartridge better. I prefer my P229s in 9mm. Since the P229 was originally designed for the 40, it makes a very sturdy 9mm platform, easily capable of +P and +P+ ammo, which is what I shoot in mine. But for 357 SIG, I like a 226.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Flip a coin. You'll eventually own both. :D
GBIA is right. I started out with a P229; right now I own 4 P229s, and 5 P226s. I used to think the P229 fit my hand perfectly, but after a few rounds firing the P226, I realized that they both work for me. I like them both.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Slightly different tools for slightly different jobs. 229 is better (to me) for carry, but fine for HD and for range time. 226 is probably better at the range and HD, but is a little bit harder to carry around. Depends on which you really want it for and how long after the first one that you buy the second one. In reality, you might as well go ahead and buy both. You will not likely be disappointed. Until you go back to the LGS and decide you need a 220. Then a 224. Oh wait, that is me I am talking about.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
From your signature line you already have a P226 9mm. This should-oughta make the decision easy . . .

My favorite SIG is the P229 40, DA/SA, legacy slide, short extractor. These are available for about half the price of a new Legion as "ex-LEO" trade ins. There are some who feel the 1990 - 2005 period represents the apogee of SIG quality. I would be in that group :)

I have a P226 40 SSE, and four P229's, all in 40 (and a couple of 357 barrels).

·
Banned
7,265 Posts
According to your signature, you own 226. Seems a 229 would be more pragmatic.

*I see bumper was quicker on the draw. Listen more, talk less ;)*

Reactions: bumper

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
According to your signature, you own 226. Seems a 229 would be more pragmatic.
Since when is pragmatic part of the conversation? Wait. Are you my wife posing here just to say that?

He already has 2 Sigs, a compact carry Walther, a very nice HK, and an upgraded Dan Wesson 1911. I think the pragmatism train has left the station. Now we are talking "want", not need.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh yeah........definitely in the "want" category. I find myself picking up the others to shoot more often now than the 226. Not certain, but might even trade the 226 in in the process of acquiring the legion. I try to be somewhat "economically" minded in my interests.

Really "want" something in .357 sig..........and I have extra mags for the 226 in 9mm. Thus.......potential is to get the 226 legion in .357, a 9mm barrel for it, and I already have the 9mm mags.

But....there is just that nagging in the back of my mind about really "needing" a 229.

Life can be so hard making these decisions you know. :money::cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.