SIG Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a .44 Mag lever action rifle. Prices and availability have me sitting on the sidelines currently. I'm leaning heavily toward the Marlin 1894.

Marlin 1894: Will reliably feed whatever you put into it regardless of COAL. Side eject allows optics on top.

Winchester 1892: It's a Winchester LA. Nostalgia. Expensive.

Henry Big Boy: I like the loading/unloading at the mag tube. Don't have to cycle the action to unload like a side loader. Expensive.

Y'alls thoughts...

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
If you get a Henry Big Boy X in .44 you'll get the best of both worlds or better all three worlds.
A LA rifle with the tube mag, side loading gate and it's tactical with rails on it.
It's about 1k so not really a budget gun.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a Rossi 44 mag. The action is not as smooth as the Henry. But it's a fun shooter and accurate for me with open sights. Side loader.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I purchased a Marlin M1894 in .44 Mag three years ago. Real nice rifle, I mostly shoot handloads with lead SWC through it with no issues.

I have considered buying the Rossi copy of the M1892 Winchester (Browning patent); it is available with a 16 inch barrel. A friend has the same Rossi with 16 inch barrel in .357 Mag and it is a nice carbine!

·
Registered
728 Posts
[I've got a Henry H010CC in 45/70 and the workmanship is superb. Action is silky smooth and the passive safety (think transfer bar) is a plus. QUOTE=tdubya;5587142]I've been looking for a .44 Mag lever action rifle. Prices and availability have me sitting on the sidelines currently. I'm leaning heavily toward the Marlin 1894.

Marlin 1894: Will reliably feed whatever you put into it regardless of COAL. Side eject allows optics on top.

Winchester 1892: It's a Winchester LA. Nostalgia. Expensive.

Henry Big Boy: I like the loading/unloading at the mag tube. Don't have to cycle the action to unload like a side loader. Expensive.

Y'alls thoughts...[/QUOTE]

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
if it were me, i'd pay up for the Henry. i've read so many stories how they stand behind their products. Marlin is owned by Remington....Remington is in bankruptcy, so who knows how that will work out for Marlin owners [i own 3 lever Marlins, all from the early '50's]. Winchester....don't know anything about them. they used to be great rifles.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Been a lever fan since forever. Was introduced to a Marlin back in the 60s. Love em.

Have Marlins in 30-30, 357, 44 mag. My Marlins are pre RemLin.
Have Henry’s in 357, 44 mag, 308. The 308 has a magazine.

I shoot the Marlin 357 better than the Henry.
I shoot the Henry 44 mag better than the Marlin.

Unless you are in a fight with the ******, And you are wearing an ammo belt, the side load vs end of tube load is a non factor. If you are in a fight with the ******, I’d have to ask, “what did you do to pizz them off?”:lol:

I have taken Marlins apart. I have not taken a Henry apart, nor do I want to:eek:

Have never had a moments trouble with either brand. I did have a mid 2000s Winchester. Never warmed up to it. Traded it off. Guess it matters which one you start with. An old friend has a couple real nice, older Winchester’s that I lust after. I will probably get them from his estate, but I hope I’m too old to shoot them when that happens;)

If I was forced to choose one, and give up the other, Molan Labe comes to mind.:cool:

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Did buy a Marlin Stainless 45/70 guide gun, ported from the factory. Totally ridiculous rifle, unless you lived in bear country and reloaded 45/70 and never encountered TWO bears at dusk:lol: It was a hoot to shoot in the dark, but you weren’t getting a follow up shot. Traded that one, too.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum, purchased new some years ago. Mine is part of the run TALO distributors did with non-ported 16" barrel. I have nothing negative about it to report. The other manufacturer's lever actions look good, but I have no experience with them.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,852 Posts
My only experience is with Henry and have posted threads about my Big Boy Steel 45/70 and my Big Boy Silver Deluxe Engraved. Can't say enough about the quality and how they take care of you. And the tube feed isn't a concern for me. You won't go wrong with what you decide. And if I were to get another, it would be between a .357mag and a .44mag. I don't really know much of the pros and cons of either cal at this point.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I bought a used Marlin 1894s from a “cowboy” at my club. It is plain Jane blued, with a light colored stock set. It was slicked up for fast shooting and has a precision recessed crown. One thing for sure is, it is stupid accurate! Nice trigger and the residue “starburst” on the muzzle, at the groves, are perfectly concentric and even. Which I do believe contributes to the excellent accuracy. I paid $350 5 years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts