SIG Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which should I get? The Standard or extended length .40 to 9mm conversion Barsto barrel for my ss p229 Elite? I've already done the Armory Craft flat trigger and Grayguns master spring kit (19 lb. hammer spring). I also lightly smoothed some rough internal parts and frame areas. Trigger is now as it should have come from the factory.
Appearance wise,it has factory green scorpion grips on it. The pistol wil not be carried. I have others for that. This is a fun gun.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Which should I get? The Standard or extended length .40 to 9mm conversion Barsto barrel for my ss p229 Elite? I've already done the Armory Craft flat trigger and Grayguns master spring kit (19 lb. hammer spring). I also lightly smoothed some rough internal parts and frame areas. Trigger is now as it should have come from the factory.
Appearance wise,it has factory green scorpion grips on it. The pistol wil not be carried. I have others for that. This is a fun gun.
Welcome from South Florida.

It all depends on your intended use of your gun.
Concealed carry ? The extra length might not be good.
Looks ? Very personal choice.
Extended with ported barrel ? Might control muzzle flip. Choice of 3 different cross cuts.
Threaded barrel ? Are you planning to buy a silencer ?
Accuracy ? Extra length might or might not improve a quality barrel.

I think it it your choice.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
^^^^^

That about covers it. I'd keep it stock length, unless you are going to add a suppressor. Then you have a choice, depending on what your state laws have to say about threaded barrels. Get a threaded barrel now (if legal) or get the barrel in extra length to allow threading later.

3/4" extra length should do, pistol threads, 1/2-28 anyway, and standard for 9mm, being about .440" and the recoil "set forward" of the recoil spring guide rod in relation to the barrel as the slide and barrel first start moving aft. That's another .225" or so, and how I arrived at 3/4" as a reasonable minimum extra barrel length. It's always doable to whack it off and recrown the barrel if you change your mind. Easy if you have a lathe :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Close this thread down, Flasig said all that needed to be said
My only interjection is good choice on Barsto, well worth the wait

Reactions: bumper

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Close this thread down, Flasig said all that needed to be said
My only interjection is good choice on Barsto, well worth the wait
Not so quick, Bunky! Flasig may have said it all, but I needed to add additional unneeded information as I am a veritable cesspool of superfluous knowledge and it doth runneth over if I don't dump some on the unappreciative masses now and then.

·
Registered
11,562 Posts
Not so quick, Bunky! Flasig may have said it all, but I needed to add additional unneeded information as I am a veritable cesspool of superfluous knowledge and it doth runneth over if I don't dump some on the unappreciative masses now and then.
But he's never fallacious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts