SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
She has shot my 9mm's quite a few times; she just prefers the "feel" of my MK-II, and of course lack of recoil.

I also offered up one of my revolvers, but she turned her nose up at the word "revolver". Not sure why because they are super reliable!
LOL, well Daddy, she is your daughter and luv's your MK-II and you luv her,
No worries, she will be safe and take care of your MK-II.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Not giving up any of the guns in my stable. No need. My daughter is turning 20 next month. Been shooting guns with her since 15 years old. My approach has always been that we shoot everything as part of the education process. Will she ever be EDC-ing a P220? No, but she is familiar with what it is and what it’s like to shoot. I think minimum goal is to be be familiar and comfortable with all of the big 3 (9mm-.40-.45) worse case .380. My ultimate goal is that she ends up 100% good to go with something like 9mm 365 as her primary weapon which has already handled and wants. Will be buying her a new one for her 20th birthday.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
LOL, well Daddy, she is your daughter and luv's your MK-II and you luv her,
No worries, she will be safe and take care of your MK-II.
Ummm… no. If by chance she had to use it in self-defense, it would likely be gone forever! I am more than willing to provide suitable defense weaponry, but my MK-II simply does not qualify!!!

Reactions: nikk

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ummm… no. If by chance she had to use it in self-defense, it would likely be gone forever! I am more than willing to provide suitable defense weaponry, but my MK-II simply does not qualify!!!
I repeat, has she ever tried a 20 gauge pump? 😎

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wish I had your dilemma. Both my kids are rabid leftists. My son used to love shooting .22s and other small caliber weapons with me when he was younger. I bought him a heavy barrel Marlin bolt-action .22 for his 12th birthday 15 years ago and the other day he said he wanted to give it back to me since he and his ultra leftist girlfriend aren't comfortable with it in the home.

My daughter turned down my offer of a Taurus G2c for her while her husband was deployed. Both kids live in the Seattle area. Sad.

But, that little Taurus has been a great gun and was under $200 new. I heard the new G3 is even better.

I would explain to your daughter that the .22 simply isn't adequate for self-defense and try to get her to shoot your 9mms more. The problem I've seen with starting new shooters on .22s is that the jump in noise and recoil from .22 to 9mm is pretty giant, so they want to stick with inadequate calibers for self-defense.

I started my girlfriend off on 9mm subguns, then larger 9mm pistols, then finally down to a compact 9mm. She's never shot any of my .22s. But, being your daughter and starting her off younger on .22s makes total sense. She just needs to get more comfortable with the 9mm.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Buy her a Ruger MkII (or trade for one).
If she's comfortable with it and proficient with it, a .22 isn't something to discount. Granted the Ruger isn't a traditional handgun for personal defense but maybe look at some of Ruger's other .22 offerings. Maybe the SR22?

I'd rather get her something she is comfortable and familiar with than passing on something she's apprehensive about.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The Ruger holds too much sentimental value and you aren't willing to give it to her, just tell her that. "Sorry honey that was uncle (insert name)'s gun, I was with him when he bought it, I just can't let it go"

·
Registered
353 Posts
My daughter didn't get any of my guns. I didn't buy her a car either. When she saw the need, she earned the money and got what she wanted. When she wanted a gun, she shopped for it herself and got what she wanted.

I don't advocate for Daddy to get her anything but the time to go shoot together at the range. Let her make her own mind up. You cannot go wrong doing it this way. She has to address real questions about what she expects in self defense, and cherry picking a family heirloom isn't making a good decision over it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My daughter didn't get any of my guns. I didn't buy her a car either. When she saw the need, she earned the money and got what she wanted. When she wanted a gun, she shopped for it herself and got what she wanted.

I don't advocate for Daddy to get her anything but the time to go shoot together at the range. Let her make her own mind up. You cannot go wrong doing it this way. She has to address real questions about what she expects in self defense, and cherry picking a family heirloom isn't making a good decision over it.
I gave my oldest daughter a Beretta Nano as a college graduation present. When she moved out of the dorms and into an apartment I let her take my Glock 19. I got the Glock 19 back when she got the Nano.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think the 22 as a means of self defense is underrated. I go back to the Reagen shooting.

But If the question is.. do I give my daughter something I consider special to me..every day of the week and twice on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

No material thing is more special to me than a human I chose to bring into the world.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I repeat, has she ever tried a 20 gauge pump? 😎
No. She wants something she can carry concealed with her after she gets her CCW in Georgia. Don't think a 20ga pump will drop in her purse or hide under her clothing!

Reactions: rmfnla

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Well we are slightly different. We bought her a used car right after HS graduation with the understanding that we would NOT buy another, so she had to take care of it. I also bought her first rifle, a Ruger 10/22 (as previously mentioned) for her for Christmas when she was 13. I don't plan on buying her any more!

I am willing to give her one of my pistols, preferably one I can easily replace (like the P365), but with the understanding that she buy her own once she gets settled into the new job and apartment, and can afford to go pick out one herself, and whatever I sent to Georgia with her will come back to me!

Edit to add: And yes, now that she has expressed the interest, I will be giving her as much range time as possible between now and mid-November when she moves!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
She graduated college and presumably has a job so maybe time for her to buy her own Ruger. That will make the 9's much more appealing.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I think the 22 as a means of self defense is underrated. I go back to the Reagen shooting.

But If the question is.. do I give my daughter something I consider special to me..every day of the week and twice on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
Yes. .22's will kill, but short of a perfect shot, they tend to do so slowly! For self-defense, my mind says to use something that will stop them NOW... not 10 minutes later. Just my personal opinion...

No material thing is more special to me than a human I chose to bring into the world.
I full agree. That's why I don't want to provide her with an inadequate or marginal self-defense weapon! I want her to have a decisive caliber in a gun that goes "bang" every single time without the hang-fires, misfeeds, and jams I often experience with the MK-II... and that is using quality CCI ammunition! Cheaper ammo is even worse, so I reserve it for the bolt-action or lever-action rifles on the range!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
She graduated college and presumably has a job so maybe time for her to buy her own Ruger. That will make the 9's much more appealing.
She just got the job and hasn't started it yet. My understanding is that she will work remotely from home here in Alabama until her apartment is available in mid-November. If that is true, my intention is for plenty of range time, rent some different guns for her to try out besides what I already have, and hopefully get her to buy her own before she moves. I honestly don't want to part with anything that I offered her as I've already pared my collection down to the minimum, but would be willing to let her use one of them until she got her own. With this extended work-from-home situation (she was already planning on 30 days per the original offer), she will have time to make some nice money, and hopefully I can take her to my favorite LGS to buy her own.

Edit to add: Just talked to her and my suspicions are confirmed; she starts work this coming Monday and will work from here until she moves into her new apartment on Nov. 19th. They will be shipping her a new computer very soon, but she will use her own until the new one arrives.

I also discussed with her my reasons for not wanting to hand over my MK-II and she fully understood; apparently she didn't realize it had belonged to my brother. After she knew that she was okay with not taking it, and with my proposed options which have already been discussed above.

1) Lots of range time over the next few weeks with what I am offering to loan her, plus some rental guns to try out things I do not own until she figures out what she likes best.
2) After she has at least 1 or 2 paychecks in the bank, take her to my favorite LGS and let her buy her own based upon those range trips.

·
Registered
307 Posts
No. She wants something she can carry concealed with her after she gets her CCW in Georgia. Don't think a 20ga pump will drop in her purse or hide under her clothing!
My kind of girl! 🥂

·
Registered
226 Posts
RULE # 1 when buying/giving/gifting guns to women: Let HER pick what SHE wants!
Your job is to familiarize her with as many options as possible. ;)

·
Registered
22,210 Posts
I got my daughter and wife their own new pistols. Both have the Performance Center Shield 9mm. Way before that, I gave my wife a Beretta Nano 9mm and a Glock 19 (for me too, ha). Anyway, get your daughter her own new pistol. from you.

Reactions: NewbyK

·
Registered
345 Posts
RULE # 1 when buying/giving/gifting guns to women: Let HER pick what SHE wants!
Your job is to familiarize her with as many options as possible. ;)
I fully agree.
Back in the day when I was a young woman, I was interested in firearms.
It was so aggravating that most told me, you can't shoot, only us guys can.
So basically, I had to learn on my own.
After much trail and error, I learned technique and my accuracy greatly improved.
Only once I mastered my Colt 45 combat commander satin nickle and started hitting black bullseye at 50" did I get respect and no more snickers and remarks. Yes I remember those days of guys making jokes about my satin nickle pistol as guns are only suppose to be black.

Now days are much different as many more women own firearms, just like we work, we drive, pilots, fighter pilots, we vote, etc.
Even the automotive industry has recognized us women and designed many things in the vehicle not to break our nails.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts