SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter recently graduated from college and just got her first “real” job. We are in north Alabama, and she will be moving to northeast Georgia in the next month or so. My intention was to provide her with one of my 9mm pistols for home defense after she moved, but yesterday she said she would prefer a .22.

While I fully support her desire to have a home defense weapon, I am not in favor of her relying on a .22 for self defense. In addition, she asked about my Ruger MK-II Target pistol, and that is not one that I am willing to part with (it was my late brother’s, and I was with him when he bought it some 20+ years ago). While it works well as a target pistol, it is NOT something to rely on for self defense!

I offered up my P-225 or P-365 as options, so we will see what happens over the next few weeks. I am on a VERY limited budget, otherwise I would simply take her to my LGS and buy her whatever she liked best…

Opinions?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Trade the pistols you would offer her toward one she is comfortable with. Set the ground rules first. Such as you choose the group she can pick from. That way you can make sure it’s, reliable, effective and affordable.
Then take her to the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
if she is proficient with the 9mm, it should one of them, jmo.
oth, forcing her to use something she's not comfortable with isn't a good solution, so maybe more range time?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Tell her that ones In your will , but you’re prepared to buy her one of her choosing

Reactions: TerminalSigness

·
Registered
317 Posts
My intention was to provide her with one of my 9mm pistols for home defense after she moved, but yesterday she said she would prefer a .22.
To me this sounds like she is not very experienced and or comfortable with a larger caliber pistol?
If this is true I fully understand her hesitant to choose a 9mm.
Maybe a solution is take her to range much more until she is very comfortable with a 9mm?

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P226 Elite and P365 XL
266 Posts
My daughter recently graduated from college and just got her first “real” job. We are in north Alabama, and she will be moving to northeast Georgia in the next month or so. My intention was to provide her with one of my 9mm pistols for home defense after she moved, but yesterday she said she would prefer a .22.

While I fully support her desire to have a home defense weapon, I am not in favor of her relying on a .22 for self defense. In addition, she asked about my Ruger MK-II Target pistol, and that is not one that I am willing to part with (it was my late brother’s, and I was with him when he bought it some 20+ years ago). While it works well as a target pistol, it is NOT something to rely on for self defense!

I offered up my P-225 or P-365 as options, so we will see what happens over the next few weeks. I am on a VERY limited budget, otherwise I would simply take her to my LGS and buy her whatever she liked best…

Opinions?
Range time with the P365 will do wonders. Almost same situation with my 16 yo daughter. Looked at .22 thinking it would be a great intro but CCW and Foundation courses then three hours at the range shooting the 9mm 365 and and she was just fine. Got a P365 XL for that birthday after that. You Go girl!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Loan her the Ruger until she gets comfortable with one of your 9mm pistols.

Being armed with a 22 you're comfortable with is better than no gun. Give her a little time. She'll come around to 9mm eventually.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If if was me, I'd buy her a Ruger Mark II and keep the one with sentimental attachment for myself.

But...I get why that isn't what you may want to do.

Phil

·
Registered
124 Posts
I gave my daughter her pick of any of mine. Of course, she chose a brand new in the box, never fired and never fondled P229C SAS in 357 Sig. That was over 2 years ago and my collection had not been the same without it... until last week, when I picked up a replacement (not new in box but like new, with original box, lock, docs, etc., with very few rounds fired), so she has what she wanted and I have refilled that void in my collection.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Loan her the Ruger until she gets comfortable with one of your 9mm pistols.

Being armed with a 22 you're comfortable with is better than no gun. Give her a little time. She'll come around to 9mm eventually.
Exactly the predicament with my wife. A firearm in which she is comfortable in using will be more advantageous than one she is not willing to use. Like the NFL saying goes, the best ability is availability.

Figured more accurate shots is better than more power but can't hit a lick.

Hopefully the wife and your daughter will be comfortable with the 9 in the near future!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Or a Glock 17? Every new shooter I’ve let shoot my G17 (women included) found it to be pleasant to shoot with no issues in the recoil department. A great choice for a new shooter. Stick a TLR1 on there to deaden the recoil even further and you have a very good defensive pistol for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My intention was to provide her with one of my 9mm pistols for home defense after she moved, but yesterday she said she would prefer a .22.
To me this sounds like she is not very experienced and or comfortable with a larger caliber pistol?
If this is true I fully understand her hesitant to choose a 9mm.
Maybe a solution is take her to range much more until she is very comfortable with a 9mm?
She has shot my 9mm's quite a few times; she just prefers the "feel" of my MK-II, and of course lack of recoil.

I also offered up one of my revolvers, but she turned her nose up at the word "revolver". Not sure why because they are super reliable!

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you have a .38 revolver with a 4" barrel, to offer her?
Yes, and she turned her nose up at it. I also have a .22 revolver, but she didn't want that one either!

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I honestly believe a great start for any new shooter is a revolver in 38spc.
Agreed. She is not a new shooter however. She has been shooting for about 12 years now, including with my AR-15. I bought her a Ruger 10/22 for Christmas when she was 13, and she enjoys shooting that one also...

·
Registered
P365X
39 Posts
Most people still recommend a revolver which is the most difficult gun to be proficient with…. If she can manipulate an auto loader under stress I’d highly recommend a p365 of her liking or even the S&W EZ in either 380 or 9mm. I don’t recommend a revolver at all….. just my .02

1 - 20 of 45 Posts